Newbie/Pain

Options
Hi everyone, I had the rny on dec 23rd. And up to 4 days ago i was walking and doing my exercises as told. Pain was getting almost non existent. I went back to work and was good and just sat at the computer But by lunch i would have a pain in my left side that is lower than from the beginning pains of surgery. Could only make it till 2 p.m. and had to head home. I don't recall doing anything that would have brought this on?!! Sometimes its overwhelming when i get up and i have to really breath through it. Yesterday i couldn't sleep in any position i was in some level of discomfort. Last night i found a position and slept the night through but still in certain movements it can take my breath away for a few moments. after i walk for a bit a more constant pain starts to kick in. I have my 3 wk appointment in the morning and will definately let them know whats going on.

Just wondering really if this is kinda normal for 3 wks out and i should quit whining. How long was your recovery?

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    See your doc!
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I seem to remember something simillar, at around a month. After a couple weeks of no pain at all, I had a couple days when it felt like it came back. Had to take some of my post surgery pain meds to sleep. Since I was able to keep food down and was going to bathroom regularly, I gave it a couple days and it went away. Looking back I think it might have been menstrual cramps (I was way off schedule with the surgery stress). If you are having fever, severe pain, vomiting, or not passing stools/urine I would not wait to call your Doctors office. Probably not serious, but why take the risk?
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Maybe you just went back to work too soon?
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your surgeon told you to call if you had any questions or pain. Since you don't know what that pain was - you should call the surgeon so he can chart it, just in case it becomes regular.

Personally, several months after my RNY, I started to get a regular gnawing pain just below my xiphoid bone - that ache caused me to lose my appetite for several days. I finally called the surgeon and he sent me to get a endoscopy of my esophagus and new stomach. The scope found a staple that had worked it's way loose and was causing an ulceration. I'm now on omeprazole every day - for an ulcer. That medicine cleared it up - instantly.

So bottom line, call your surgeon - you just never know.
  • snickerdoolers
    snickerdoolers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took so long for me to respond. i had gone in that afternoon to my reg. check up. The didn't do any testing but thought that it was maybe scarring inside having that effect. The last two days were still very painful but today there so far is little pain or effect. Scary how quickly it stopped. But i will go with it. So i'm crossing my fingers that i keep feeling this good!
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    How are you doing now? Any more issues?
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen and it was scar tissue. it would "zap" me every so often and sometimes it felt like I tore something but i did talk to my dr about it and it did go away and it ended up being nothing but who knows what it could be so definitely keep an eye on it.
  • JenaOnTrack74
    JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I had something similar happen and it was scar tissue. it would "zap" me every so often and sometimes it felt like I tore something but i did talk to my dr about it and it did go away and it ended up being nothing but who knows what it could be so definitely keep an eye on it.
    Thats is very useful to know, thanks. I have had 3 c sections and wondered what may happen because of them.
    I know from what my dr during the last c section had said that I do have a lot of scar tissue. Being prepared for things like this is always a good thing.

LOVE THIS GROUP! :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: