Stuff with avocados?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
Okay, so I hate the texture of avocados, but I don't mind the taste. I'm also somewhat texture-sensitive to it, so even things like mixing it with applesauce or whatever doesn't really work for hiding it.

So! I've been looking for things to do with avocado, and I happened to find some recipes that, combined, use both the meat and the pit for shampoo, which I'll probably try.

However, I'd love to know what other recipes people have, either for hiding avocados in stuff, or for non-eating uses. So, what are your favorite things to do with avocados that allow me to make use of the avocados that I'll be getting from my co-op next week without having to deal with the texture?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In, to see what you learn.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    If you open an avocado at the right time, they could be quite firm. You can dice the firm avocado and throw it in salad.

I found it intriguing that you have a use for the pit for your hair. What is that?
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Try blending it into a mayo to hide the texture. I haven't tried this but it looks good: http://www.tgipaleo.com/2013/07/26/avocado-ranch-dressing-dairy-free/
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    If you open an avocado at the right time, they could be quite firm. You can dice the firm avocado and throw it in salad.

I found it intriguing that you have a use for the pit for your hair. What is that?

http://freethinkingcavewoman.blogspot.com/2011/02/avocado-pit-shampoo-tutorial.html

The ones I've found are an additive to a regular shampoo, but I also found an avocado shampoo recipe, so you can use pretty much the whole thing for shampoo! (Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a shot.)

http://hairandhealth.blogspot.com/2012/12/mixology-baking-soda-and-avocado.html
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Try blending it into a mayo to hide the texture. I haven't tried this but it looks good: http://www.tgipaleo.com/2013/07/26/avocado-ranch-dressing-dairy-free/

Ooh! That looks tasty! Will definitely have to try that. I found an avocado oil recipe that I'll probably try and maybe try some variations on mayo (I'm thinking an egg-based one with avocado oil, and an avocado-based one if there's one out there).
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I know you're asking more about non-food uses, but what about guacamole? I used to not be a fan of avocados, mostly for texture, but I've loved guacamole for a while. Once I started eating more guacamole I was able to start eating avocados more and I didn't mind the texture so much.

Anyhow, we use guacamole as a spread or dip for the most part.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I know you're asking more about non-food uses, but what about guacamole? I used to not be a fan of avocados, mostly for texture, but I've loved guacamole for a while. Once I started eating more guacamole I was able to start eating avocados more and I didn't mind the texture so much.

Same here. I thought they were vile as a kid--started eating guacamole after college and now I can't imagine life without avocados on my hamburgers, in salads, etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

Tried it, still has the texture (to me, anyway).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I was the exact same way!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love avocados so I don't typically hide them, but do put a half avaocado in my morning smoothie every day. Its makes it really smooth instead of gritty with only veggies and fruit. My 3 year old daughter hates them, but never complains about it in a smoothie.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I love avocados so I don't typically hide them, but do put a half avaocado in my morning smoothie every day. Its makes it really smooth instead of gritty with only veggies and fruit. My 3 year old daughter hates them, but never complains about it in a smoothie.

I put them in my child's smoothies too. It creates a really nice creamy texture. She likes avocados anyway though. So do I.

I use avocado oil in mayo, with olive oil, quite often. I put avocados and the oil on salads, mexican type stir fries, chili, etc.

I agree that maybe eating it less ripe would change the texture for you... but it's a real battle managing the ripeness of the avocados. I have it figured out now though. I store them in the fridge, put one or two out with the bananas and give them a little squeeze everyday to see where they are at. Once it is almost ready, and if I don't plan to eat it right away, I put it back in the fridge (separate from the others) and make sure to eat it within a few days. Or I let it ripen fully at room temp and then I have to eat it immediately. Probably the ones I put back in the fridge would be firm enough to reduce the texture issue for you. Maybe.
  • vitalflame
    vitalflame Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Do you like egg salad? a ripe avocado mashed with 2 hardboiled eggs makes a good egg salad.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I saw a recipe where they blended avacado in with the egg yolks to make deviled eggs.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating them I used to buzz them in my food processor and use them for a dressing in tuna salad with lime juice, chili powder and cilantro.

Also intrigued by the shampoo idea.

P.S. I completely understand texture issues. I can't eat any kind of melon due to it's funkiness.
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help with the texture, but I have wrapped them up in smoked salmon (lox?) or parma ham (prosciutto) before and that was really nice.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I agree that blending them, alone or with something else can change the texture. Then use it as a condiment, I love it smoothed out and added in place of mayo on a lettuce wrap with chicken and garlic (I use the McCormicks garlic and pepper grinder.)
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Chiming in on other posts, I love my newest meal. I use chicken or tuna, paleo mayo and a red onion to make a salad. Then I scoop out the inside of the avocado and mash it in with the salad. Fill both empty halves and eat for lunch. Yum!

Love guacamole too! Avocados are sort of new to me, so anxious to see what others say. I don't mind the texture so I'll sometimes eat a whole one with my eggs and bacon for breakfast.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's also avocado chocolate pudding if you "do carbs".

http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-avocado-pudding/
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Paleo Chocolate Avocado Mousse
    Adapted from http://sogoodandtasty.blogspot.com/2010/02/chocolate-avocado-mousse.html
    makes 4 small servings

4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (dairy, soy-free like Enjoy Life)
    1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
    2 large ripe avocados
    2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    pinch of salt
    1/4 cup nut butter (almond or sunbutter)

Melt chocolate and avacado. Blend avacado in a food processor/blender, then add chocolate mixture. Then add the rest of the ingredients. There might be a few tiny chunks...but for me it's not worth it to strain anything.... it's SOOOO good. Take my word for it :)

*The original recipe had vegetable oil and peanut butter. I tried it like that and it was EXTREMELY GOOD. I have not tried it with the paleo modifiers, but honestly I don't think you can go wrong with this recipe!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    mash a ripe one up with some sugar or salt. something crunchy. apply to skin as an exfoliant or face mask. get called 'guacamole face' by SO. wash off. voila! Awesome, soft skin.