GOAL SETTING - before you start

Options
SkimFlatWhite68
SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
A lot of challenge programmes fast forward over goal setting but I think it's one of the most important things we need to do. Without a goal, how do you know where you are headed? Without reasons WHY you want to reach that goal, what is going to stop you giving in when it gets tough or when someone offers you a (insert danger food here)!!

So - I recommend that everyone set some goals, both short and long term, and write them into your INTRODUCTION post in the form of an affirmation and read your affirmation every morning and every night to remind yourself what you are setting out to do, and to train your brain into thinking that you are already there.

Many books have been written on goal setting and for those who are keen, you might like to read up on it. For those who want to get started now, here are some tips on setting goals (thanks to Tom Venuto, Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle):

1. Set SPECIFIC goals. Exactly how many kilos do you want to lose during this challenge and over the year ahead? When do you want to achieve your goal? How much body fat do you want to lose? What do you want to weigh? What measurements would you like to end up with? What size clothes would you like to wear?

2. Set MEASURABLE goals. You can measure your success with the bathroom scale, measuring tape, clothing size, mirror, photos. All these things can be measured along the way and compared with your starting point.

3. Think BIG!! Don't let fear of failure or the feeling of discomfort prevent you from going after what you really want. Think BIG!! Shoot for the stars. Don't be afraid to think big and set your sights high, because you can only hit what you aim at! You can always adjust your timing along the way.

4. Have a REALISTIC deadline. Your goal can be as BIG as you like, but make sure the deadline is realistic. For the length of this challenge half a kilo a week weight loss is realistic for most of us (depends on your goal). A kilo a week is possible if you have more weight to lose, a kilo a month might be more realistic if you are close to your ultimate weight goal.

5. Set LONG TERM and SHORT TERM GOALS. This challenge is for 12 weeks, so you will have a 12 week goal. However, it's a good idea to also have a yearly goal, 6 months, 3 months, 4 weeks, weekly and daily goals.
Daily goals could be to fill in your food and exercise diary and stay within calorie allowance, eat at macro targets, take 10,000 steps, etc... and will work toward fulfilling your weekly goal.

6. Prioritize your goals. Make sure that they don't conflict with one another!! Pick the goal that is most important to you over the next 12 weeks and make that goal your focus. Keep your eyes on the prize. Think about this goal every day and visualise your success when you have reached it!

7. WHY do you want to achieve this goal? Uncovering the reason you want to achieve something adds emotion to it. The more emotion involved, the more motivated you will be to succeed. What's important to you about reaching your goal? Why is that important to you? What impact will achieving this goal have on your life (How will your life be different and better after you've achieved it)?

8. Write out your goal list as an AFFIRMATION in the present tense. For example:

It is now, 14 April 2104. I step on the scales, look down and see that I weigh 58kg. I look in the mirror and see that I am trim taut and terrific and have a huge smile on my face. My waist measurement is 68cm. I look good and feel great!

9. Read your goals and affirmations every morning and night, and throughout the day. This will keep your mind focussed and keep our eyes on the prize.

10. Believe it. Visualise your success. Over and over you will hear champion athletes saying that they saw themselves win ABC or XYZ a million times before they actually did win. See your goals coming true in your head and you WILL reach them!!

Challengers, I encourage ALL of you to set your goals before you start. Get out a pad of paper and a pen and spend some time on this, really think it through, think BIG and break your big goal down into quarters if needed. This will set you up for success!!

All Challengers will be asked to add your goal and affirmation to your INTRODUCTION and starting statistics.

Go on, write out your goals now! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.