Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Muscle gain on Paleo

2»

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    http://evidencemag.com/dieting-protein-needs/ (remember 1kg = ~2.2lb, so 2g/kg = ~.91g/lb, so the lower end of the sedentary recommendation is about .5g/lb)
    This is exactly what I thought, when I read your 0.5 g . My point was the 0.5g is probably the minimum per TOTAL body mass and NOT lean body mass even for sedentary who is maintaining. There is a big difference between the two.
    This article you just linked talks about total body mass /body weight everywhere and not the LBM.
    "The current RDI for protein is 0.8 gram per kilogram <B> of body weight </B> per day (g/kg/day). This is the minimum amount needed to keep 97.5% of people over the age of 19 healthy.3,4,9 It’s the standard protein intake for most diet recommendations."
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    http://evidencemag.com/dieting-protein-needs/ (remember 1kg = ~2.2lb, so 2g/kg = ~.91g/lb, so the lower end of the sedentary recommendation is about .5g/lb)
    This is exactly what I thought, when I read your 0.5 g . My point was the 0.5g is probably the minimum per TOTAL body mass and NOT lean body mass even for sedentary who is maintaining. There is a big difference between the two.
    This article you just linked talks about total body mass /body weight everywhere and not the LBM.
    "The current RDI for protein is 0.8 gram per kilogram <B> of body weight </B> per day (g/kg/day). This is the minimum amount needed to keep 97.5% of people over the age of 19 healthy.3,4,9 It’s the standard protein intake for most diet recommendations."

From that link, right below the chart:
    These values are for your lean body mass, not your total body mass.

The recommendations based on LBM are going to be lower per lb/kg than the ones for total weight, since you (obviously) weigh more in total than just your LBM. In my opinion, though, calculating based on LBM is more accurate, since it's what actually uses the protein.
  • LisaGNV
    LisaGNV Posts: 159 Member
    *FOLLOWING*

All wonderful info - I'm trying to add muscle as well and have been playing w/ carb intake (staying at or below 75 gm per day). Feel free to add me as a friend as well.