Am I THAT slow or ???

Options
derekj222
derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
So I signed up for a sort of indoor TRI in 2 weeks. 800m swim, 4 mile bike, 2 mile run...I timed my swimming today. I'm pretty sure the pool is 25m, so 800/50=32 laps...it took me like 28 min...from what I'm reading that is really, really bad. I'm not sure if my distance is off or what...if it's that bad, I'm scared to compete...it just doesn't make sense...

Back story info: running and biking will not be an issue. I've ran sub 4 marathons and bike a lot as well.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You're a faster swimmer than I...

With swimming keep in mind that fitness is a part, but so is technique.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the pool is 25m, so 800/50=32 laps...it took me like 28 min...from what I'm reading that is really, really bad.

By IronMan standards, sure.

By normal-people standards, you're Mark effen Sptiz....
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    800m is 32 lenghts or 16 laps. Swimming is generally measured in x:xx/100 (meters or yards). An elite swimmer would run 1:30/100 or faster; a beginner 3:00/100; 2:00/100 is probably a nice benchmark.. At 28min for 800m, you're swimming about 3:30/100.

Not to sugar-coat things, but your form is probably terrible, especially if you haven't swam in high school or college. No worries though, there's always someone worse than you at the pool.

Check out Total Immersion - they have some free videos you can watch, that should help you get at least the basics. Pull buoy drills can also help you focus on your stroke and breathing without having to worry about your kick.

Swimming has more in common with tennis or golf than it does with running or cycling. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    oh I agree. I never learned how to swim, I taught myself. This is just a "fun" tri...I will have a true competition one in July/August. So hoping to do some swim lessons to learn to swim right...lol. Appreciate the feedback.
    800m is 32 lenghts or 16 laps. Swimming is generally measured in x:xx/100 (meters or yards). An elite swimmer would run 1:30/100 or faster; a beginner 3:00/100; 2:00/100 is probably a nice benchmark.. At 28min for 800m, you're swimming about 3:30/100.

Not to sugar-coat things, but your form is probably terrible, especially if you haven't swam in high school or college. No worries though, there's always someone worse than you at the pool.

Check out Total Immersion - they have some free videos you can watch, that should help you get at least the basics. Pull buoy drills can also help you focus on your stroke and breathing without having to worry about your kick.

Swimming has more in common with tennis or golf than it does with running or cycling. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Swim lessons would do you a ton of good. Make sure you find a person/place that will give you video analysis. Seeing what it is you're doing wrong has a huge impact on fixing it.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Swim lessons would do you a ton of good. Make sure you find a person/place that will give you video analysis. Seeing what it is you're doing wrong has a huge impact on fixing it.
    ^This
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Your math is wrong. For a 25m pool, 800m is 32 lengths, not laps. I think you did a 1600. A 28 minute 1600m is not bad at all.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

My guess is that this is probably the case, since I'm a new swimmer and it describes me very well.

After several sessions in the pool with the help of the local tri club swim coach, I've made modest improvements, but gained a significant amount of knowledge about why "slow is smooth and smooth is fast." Prior to a lesson, I was exerting WAY too much effort in a very inefficient manner.

My guess is that you will see a similar benefit from lessons.

Good luck with your training.
  • lj3jones
    lj3jones Posts: 94 Member
    Options

just want to say that 1:30/100 m is not elite. unless you can keep up that pace for 2.4 miles. 1:30 is good, but not elite.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Your math is wrong. For a 25m pool, 800m is 32 lengths, not laps. I think you did a 1600. A 28 minute 1600m is not bad at all.

I think you are right - 800m in a 25m pool 32 lengths (if you count there as 1 and back as 2) or 16 laps (if you count there and back as 1). It takes me about 15minutes to do 800m and 30min to do 1.5km so check your counting again, it might not be that bad. Otherwise, when I started swimming, I focused on being as streamlined through the water as I could possibly be. Any of the advice above, especially getting someone to tape and analyze your swim stroke is a fantastic idea. Our tri club does it each year for about $20.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Your math is wrong. 800/50= 16. Problem solved.
    A mile in 28 minutes is not bad at all!