Finding it a bit hard at times

Options
Khamara_01
Khamara_01 Posts: 36 Member
Hello Team,

I"m in my third week of Paleo, i haven't being a strict all the time, although i haven't
gone near gluten.

My weight is still the same, and I'm thinking maybe I'm doing something wrong,
does anyone have some basic diet guidelines i can try and see?

I know it doesn't matter about the weight by its more about health, but any advice
would be helpful.

kk

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    don't make the mistake of thinking gluten is causing weight retention. and never eat gluten free foods if you are.
    I highly recommend the book "It starts with food". You need to be much more strict rather than worrying about gluten. I'd continue to track everything you eat and watch your carbs.
  • mike00t
    mike00t Posts: 9 Member
    Options
  • heathernz
    heathernz Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi Arohanui - I assume you are Kiwi? I've started a paleo / primal recipe sharing FB page to get and give ideas and motivation - you are very welcome to check it out :)https://www.facebook.com/groups/kiwi.paleo.primal/

Of course the group is not limited to Kiwis but sometimes it's hard to get ingredients for recipes that are American or UK in origin...

Cheers, Heather
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Three weeks is not enough to see a loss, however, do count your calories also. You'd be surprised at how many calories are in non-starchy foods, especially nuts.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just eat real food. Eat lots of veggies, some fruits, some nuts and plenty of protein from animal sources. Avoid "paleo" baked goods and treats.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Ditto...
    I highly recommend the book "It starts with food".
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think that making sure that I limit fruits and nuts is what has kept me losing weight pretty steady. I'm only a little over a week into eating this way but I have lost about 4 lbs. I've just been focusing on meats, vegetables and fats. :)
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Echoing what's been said but, if weight loss is your goal, look at lowering your carbs for a while (limit starches, fruits, and nuts).

By doing that, you should see a difference.
  • Khamara_01
    Khamara_01 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! great advice and thank you for the article and book recommendations, i will look at them now.
    Im just going to keep it simple, no baking or fruit and nuts this week, ill see how it goes :)

Thank you support group x
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think that making sure that I limit fruits and nuts is what has kept me losing weight pretty steady. I'm only a little over a week into eating this way but I have lost about 4 lbs. I've just been focusing on meats, vegetables and fats. :)

OP - a note about these types of effects ("I lost 4lbs my first week!") - they're usually water weight. If you previously ate a bunch of carbs and now you've cut back drastically, you're going to lose water weight as your glycogen levels reduce. This is where a lot of these big, fast weight loss stories come from (and that goes for any diet that lowers carb intake from the person's old norm). Active people may see even more drastic results as they deplete the glycogen stores they have.

So, if you don't see the same effect, don't despair! It just means you were probably eating a similar macro spread pre-paleo to what you're eating now, and that may be okay. As with any lifestyle change, give your body some time to get used to it, and to repair the damage your old habits may have inflicted on your body, and you'll eventually start seeing results. :)