VERY upset!

Options
I am not sure if I mentioned this but I have some serious health issues and have been through more then I should have been in the past 3 yrs. I was on serious steroids (prednisone) at a very high dose to help save me and still went through hell. I also went from 170 lbs to 300 lbs. I am still on VERY serious medications but no longer on steroids. After a VERY serious surgery, I lost weight because for 7 mths I could bRely eat and was throwing up daily. I have since been put on meds to help and even after 3 mths of running 2-4 nights a week ( if not running then at least walking min 4 nights a week in total I have not been able to lose weight.

About 8 mths ago I had to find a new family doctor who has given me my life back ( still in serious life long meds ) and she didn't know tht I have been running and trying to lose weight until I spoke with her tonight about it. She told me that she wishes I told her sooner because 2 of my medications that I am on a high dose of are weight gaining and water retaining. I started to cry!!!

I leave next Thursday for Mexico and come back on the 30th. She said she is going to do some research and change up those two medications when I get back ( although it will take time cause I have to ween off them) so that I can lose weight and be a happier me. In the mean time I just have to keep doing what I am doing so as NOT to gain more weight.

I know this May not seem like a big deal to some but I am a lifetime member of weight watchers that started at 251 lbs and took 1 1/2 yrs and lost 102 lbs. then Divorce and illness went up to 170 and I was happy with that. Then as I said went to 300 lbs after a very hard time in and out of hospitals( more in the out for a year) now thinking I am finally getting some of my life back and THIS NOW!!! It's a never ending fight and I am tired!

Rachelle

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your health issues. Glad you have a doctor that is willing to work with YOU, your needs and what will work for you in the long run.

Given that you have already been through so much that was beyond your control I know patience is not what you may want to hear. But think about it, your health is what is most important and I am sure stress and anxiety won't help. Take a deep breath, think about where you were a year ago and then image where you want to be a year from now. You may have to take baby steps for a while but know one day you will be able to run!

Let it go, enjoy Mexico and then start again refreshed!

We will be here for you :smile:
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    There are many meds out there that cause people to gain weight and/or retain water. Unfortunately, most doctors don't think this is an issue to even discuss with their patients. This is why I always read the side effects of all meds I am placed on and discuss concerns with my physician. It is so important to discuss lifestyle with our doctors so that they have an clue as to how to treat us in the most appropriate way.

Recently I had a doctor place me on two different medicines that effect liver function. My endocrinologist monitors my liver so I thought nothing of it till my test results came back abnormal. I dropped those meds and retook the test a month later. My liver is functioning normal again, though my cholesterol went up. Something she and I are going to watch and discuss at a later date in the meantime I need to try and lower my cholesterol naturally on my own. I prefer a holistic approach to health treatments and my endocrinologist is good enough to work with me on this. As to the meds I dropped I will need to discuss other options with that doctor.

My problem drug is not for any life threatening condition, as it sounds like yours is, so it was not an issue for me to just up and quit. It was also not a drug that needed to be weaned. I know how that is since I had to wean my eldest off a medicine that was causing more harm than good for him as a child. It is good that you found a physician that listens to you and is willing to work with you in reaching your goals while maintaining your health. Hang in there, it will all work to the better.