So Many questions

Options
SezxyStef
SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
So let me apologize for all them first off.

I really am just looking for input from the knowledgable people in this group. Sara and SS don't have make a special point to answer all my question but if they have time their input would be greatly appreciated as well as any others.

1. Lifting belts I have heard cnflicting things about them...a)the prevent building core strenght or b)they are great for keeping form and helping you lift more....please let me know which one applies and if it is option b when is a good time to start using one.

2.. My TDEE is 1995 and I currently am eating at 1600 (due to a few weekends here and there and the holidays I am averaging 1691), I changed my weight loss goal to 155 from 165 mainly due to the fact I am not happy with the amount of "fat" I still see on me (thighs a bit and around my middle and my bum) I have been lifting since sept 9th and have made significant gains (even after injury to my glacius which is better now) but I have added in 2 sessions of HIIT since the new year. So I am currently working out 5x a week.

I haven't stalled much on my lifts

I am on my 2nd deload for benches first one was at 105 back down to 100, now I am going from 110 back down to 105.
I am on my almost 2nd deload for OHP, first one from 85 - 80, I am using weighted collars so I am on my 2nd attempt at 83.5lbs 3x5, 1x4, 1x3, all other lifts are progressing only deload from injury but since then I have gotten up to and past where I was on my rows, squats and almost there on DL. **(My diary is open)

Question is would increasing my intake be a good idea? Not only due to HIIT but also because the weights are getting "heavy". If I do increase what would be a good number? 1700, 1800? I understand that by upping it the weight loss will slow but I am prepared for that.

3. I do SL 5x5 and it has been suggested to me that when I deload I should be adding in up to 3 reps when I do instead of just doing 5x5, will that benefit me and my strenght increases?

I had another one but forgot as I was typing...but this is probably plenty anyway.

Thanks for the input.

Steph

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So let me apologize for all them first off.

I really am just looking for input from the knowledgable people in this group. Sara and SS don't have make a special point to answer all my question but if they have time their input would be greatly appreciated as well as any others.

1. Lifting belts I have heard cnflicting things about them...a)the prevent building core strenght or b)they are great for keeping form and helping you lift more....please let me know which one applies and if it is option b when is a good time to start using one.

Once I got my squat form "reasonable" and got to the point that I was comfortable grinding out 1-3RMs I went ahead and got a belt and noticed an immediate difference. I generally only use it past a certain point (weight wise) so that I'm training both belted and non belted. They usually allow you to lift a little more, they are also a good tool to teach you to breathe properly in that you're supposed to be pushing against the belt.

2.. My TDEE is 1995 and I currently am eating at 1600 (due to a few weekends here and there and the holidays I am averaging 1691), I changed my weight loss goal to 155 from 165 mainly due to the fact I am not happy with the amount of "fat" I still see on me (thighs a bit and around my middle and my bum) I have been lifting since sept 9th and have made significant gains (even after injury to my glacius which is better now) but I have added in 2 sessions of HIIT since the new year. So I am currently working out 5x a week.

I haven't stalled much on my lifts

I am on my 2nd deload for benches first one was at 105 back down to 100, now I am going from 110 back down to 105.
    I am on my almost 2nd deload for OHP, first one from 85 - 80, I am using weighted collars so I am on my 2nd attempt at 83.5lbs 3x5, 1x4, 1x3, all other lifts are progressing only deload from injury but since then I have gotten up to and past where I was on my rows, squats and almost there on DL. **(My diary is open)

Question is would increasing my intake be a good idea? Not only due to HIIT but also because the weights are getting "heavy". If I do increase what would be a good number? 1700, 1800? I understand that by upping it the weight loss will slow but I am prepared for that.

What is your weight doing at your current intake? What has it done the past 4 weeks? You should weigh out (pun intended) your physique goals with your training goals. Extra calories MAY help you lift more weight, and they will slow down or halt fat loss. Now having said that, have you had your technique examined?

3. I do SL 5x5 and it has been suggested to me that when I deload I should be adding in up to 3 reps when I do instead of just doing 5x5, will that benefit me and my strenght increases?

If it were me, I'd start by following the exact deload protocol outlined in SL, which is as follows:
    http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What is your weight doing at your current intake? What has it done the past 4 weeks? You should weigh out (pun intended) your physique goals with your training goals. Extra calories MAY help you lift more weight, and they will slow down or halt fat loss. Now having said that, have you had your technique examined?

I am at 165 (last weigh in was Jan 6th), my weight before that was measured on Dec 9th at 163.5 (I only weigh on the same scale and have sporatic use of it as it is in the office and I work from home a bit and I was on vacation over Christmas and ate all the foodz, well averaged maintenance) but prior to that I was steadily losing .45lbs a week eating averaging 1700 a week (a few weeks in there where I was over due to holidays and outings).

I will definately re-evaluate what I am looking for. I think primarily right now I want to continue to lose the fat and get to a point where I don't see squishy which I still do as I said around my middle, my butt and my thighs.

As for my technique examined? do you mean my form? If so I have had my husband come watch me every once in a while and he lets me know how he thinks I am doing but from a trainer or videos no...I have a plan to get that done at my local gym after holidays but could easily post videos as well...

If you don't mean form sorry guess I will need that further explained.

Thanks

ETA I wanted to add I have been avoiding the scale a bit lately as I have added in HIIT 2x a week since the new year and had DOMS so I wanted to get past that and get a true measure of after Christmas splurging.