What do I eat and when should I eat it?

Options
amjester
amjester Posts: 3 Member
So, I have been actively logging my food for a week using MFP. It's going great and I have already lost approximately 7 pounds ( I know, probably mainly water weight). Here is my dilemma...I am so worried that I wont have enough calories by dinner time that I end up not eating enough calories throughout the day. This results in one grouchy lady who wants to eat a horse by dinnertime because I have the calories to do so! I know I should eat more calories during the day but how many calories for breakfast, how many for lunch and how many for snacks? Also, because I want to cut out as many processed foods as I can, I mainly just mix a bunch of vegetables together and balance it with other natural foods like eggs. I am an adventurous eater (which probably got me in the trouble I am in!) and I know that I will eventually feel deprived. So does anyone have any suggestions in breaking down the calories for meals and snacks as well as meal/food ideas that are more appealing? Thanks for any input! :happy:

P.S. I forgot to mention that I my goal is 1370 calories/day.

Replies

• mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, There aren't any hard and fast rules as such as to what to eat and when - this is up to personal preference and what works for you.

I had a quick look at your profile, but your diary isn't open - it would help to open it.

What I did notice is that you do have a fair amount to lose (don't stress about this we're in the same boat). The point of mentioning this is that you might find your current calorie deficit a bit too severe. Are your goals set to lose 2 llb a week? MFP seems to do this automatically - it is possible to change it to say 1llb a week - that way you still get to eat a reasonable amount and still lose weight.

You can poke around in my diary if you want for ideas - I'll warn you though I'm not 100% super clean - there are a few indulgences in there.
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I generally eat more calories at breakfast, fewer at lunch and a medium amount for supper (700/300/500) although I have no hard and fast rules about it! Try prelogging your supper so you know exactly how many calories you can eat before then.

For variety in meals, indulge in a good cookbook, and then cook your way through it! :). I can HIGHLY recommend World Vegetarian Classics by Celia Brooks Brown. We aren't vegetarian, but the dishes in this book are so yummy, and most of them are non-fiddly, that we eat from it a couple times a month, and one of my husband's most requested meals is from this book (and he is very meat and 3 veg!!). I would consider most of the recipes "clean" although there is the occasional can of coconut cream used. And it's perfect for an adventuresome eater!!

I try to cook a new-to-us recipe (from a variety of cookbooks) every couple of weeks to keep the boredom factor at bay.

Feel free to add me :)
  • amjester
    amjester Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for both of your suggestions. I am still learning how to use this program and haven't figured out all of the features, yet. I think part of the issue, too, is that my family and I need to get better at planning dinners ahead of time to help me determine the required average amount of dinner calories. I don't want to run out of calories before dinner but I don't want to eat more late in the day just to get close to my calorie goal, either. Thanks again!