Transferring Colleges

Options
Has anyone made the decision to transfer schools? Why and how difficult was it for you?

My dilemma is this:
I went back to school at 25 after 5 years off. Due to financial stuff; NONE of my credits transferred. I came to peace with it, enrolled in Community College and mostly paid out of pocket. This resulted in me starting FROM SCRATCH for an Associates Degree.

Here we are 3 years later and I still have 6 more credits after this semester (I'm enrolled for 9 right now). Some classes are offered in the summer but the one that's required is not. I have a full time 9-5 job as it is so scheduling is very difficult.

The program (Communications and New Media) has mostly been hands-on design, website production and audio visual classes. I hate them. Having Adobe knowledge is a great skill but ultimately, I want to go into Marketing/PR. I want to SELL the product not MAKE it. This just isn't the right fit for me. I want to keep going until I have my Masters. The Associates is a stepping stone. With the Associates degree, I can transfer into a school as a Junior persuing my BA. Without it, I may have to take more classes which will take money and time. They would be the TYPE of classes I want so I don't really consider it a waste of time.

Should I transfer out now or stick it out for the Associates? Any advice would be great! I feel very stuck and I'm unhappy.

Replies

• lannasster
    Options
    Just saw this post. My major is Mass Communication (Public Relations.) I transferred to a new university last semester because my old university's Mass Comm program wasn't really teaching me much. It was definitely geared more toward journalism, while my new school has a PR/marketing sequence and is one of the top 10 PR programs in the country. I am SO glad I decided to take the leap and transfer.

I transferred with about 68 hours, but only 58 of those transferred. I'm having to redo a bunch of classes, and I'm going to be in college for an extra semester, but I'm totally fine with that. At the end of the day, I know I'm getting a quality education and will have the skills necessary to enter the PR world after I graduate.
  • JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my associates degree with two classes this summer; the ones I'm taking this summer are the only courses for my actual major (Calculus and Statistics). Math credits are probably different because there are very specific standards set at least by the state for what students have to learn :/ Basically what I'm getting at is that the only reason I'm finishing my associates degree is so that I'll have all of my general studies out of the way and I can work on core classes when I go to University in the fall.