Newbie to MFP

Options
I am a soon to be a 50 yr old female, I used to be very active and fit. I married about a year ago to a man of my dreams and he has been treating me like a Queen and yes, I have been eating at a Queen's table of GREAT TASTING food and I am also retired.

Well I have gained about 20 lbs, and up until the age of 49, it was not a big deal to loose my weight over a period of time. Well, I am eating correctly, exercising at least 3 times a week for 30+ minutes and finding MFP very helpful with keeping me on track, I just cannot not get my weight to budge. If anything it bounces back and fourth with about 3-5 lbs. CAN USE ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!

Thank you for this site and God Bless

Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through God who strengthens me.

Replies

• mtnspirit
    mtnspirit Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been using MFP for about 3 months now in alignment with a wellness program and have been fairly successful. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and try to stick to un-processed and organic foods. You should notice a difference pretty quickly. Best wishes on your journey back to better health!!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. I joined MFP mid last January, to track results (if any) to a modified approach to good nutrition. I had the same 8 pounds leaving and coming back for some years. And to lose those 8 took a very long time. On top of that, those 8 were only a quarter of what I should lose.

Exactly what worked for me might not work for you, but it might give you things to investigate and consider. Making a commitment to regular and adequate sleep helped me loose the 8 pounds.

I added 10-14 glasses of home filtered water daily stored in glass pitchers and drank only from glass tumblers.

I changed vigorous exercise several times weekly in the past, to less strenous daily exercise, primarily comprised of walking, rebounding (mini-trampoline w emphasis of working into the ground w various moves--not jumping for height), free weights, yoga. My exercise goals changed from getting my heart rate way up to getting warm, improving center core control, getting stronger.

I made dietary changes to lower net carbs (all carbs less fiber), increase protein, and increase fats. I have had a mostly whole food-organic food (now called clean -eating) diet for decades, which I attribute to my overall good health. When it comes to carbs, I aim have vegetables, legumes, and tubers represent the most of that macro. A little fruit and grain is in there too. Of the vegetables, I increased consumption of greens (kale, chard, spinach, bok choy, sea vegetables, et cetera. I try to eat at least one green a day.

I aim for 20-30g fiber daily.

Lastly, I watch my sugar consumption. A piece of fruit or two and a 1/2 tsp of honey in a cup of tea plus the natural sugars in plain yogurt can top the limit I set for myself.

Very quickly my weight loss had a predictable tractory. The first 4 months I lost quickly. The next 6 months was more slowly. I left MFP for a few months and a handful of pounds returned. I just began logging again on Saturday and trying a quick reset for 2 weeks.