Dukan Diet and Protein Shakes

Can you replace a meal with protein Shake? or any other recommendations for meal replacement shakes? Thank you.

Replies

• vaidajurgaityte
    vaidajurgaityte Posts: 51 Member
    As far as I remember, Dr does not recommend this, not at least on Attack or Cruise.
    Sure, if you replace your meal with a protein shake once in a while, when you really do not have to prepare a nutritious protein rich meal, that´s fine but not in a log run.
    And to be honest, I never ever tried one, so could not even offer any brand. I guess just try to go for as natural as possible.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    I have done Dukan 3 times up until cruise and I can personally say that protein shakes work for me. They are absolutely not part of the published diet but beyond the initial attack phases, I needed to adapt Dukan to become part of my lifestyle and not vice versa.

In terms of specific shakes, I go for at least 18-25grams of protein per serving with an extremely low carb/ sugar count. I always use milk (soya unsweetened where possible) or water if I really have to. Comparing my fat free Greek yogurts and protein shakes side by side, my yogurts are sometimes higher in natural sugars so my protein shakes I do not see as a major hindrance. I know that they are not natural but neither are processed hams and a lot of the 'allowed' items on the diet.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    While Dukan says absolutely no to protein shakes, I have to admit I use them, especially when I had a cold or was traveling and had them ready for an emergency.

I think the thing I like best about the Dukan diet was you do return to a new way to eat with all foods added back, although in moderation.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Absolutely agree :)
  • vaidajurgaityte
    vaidajurgaityte Posts: 51 Member
    Yup, me too. I was kind of against it, but now I started using them and must admit, I'm loving it! As long as the main source of protein remains 'natural' proteins ( meat, eggs, fish, dairy, etc) and all those shakes take a place of a supplement, we are fine!