Video: Dr. Ken Sikaris "Sugar and Fat Metabolism"

Options
kiramaniac
kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E57cFhjpxgw

Helps provide a better understanding of the role of glucose vs fructose in our bodies, and the relationship to fat storage and obesity. Also highlights how these impact cholesterol and triglycerides. Very interesting. I wasn't really understanding the difference between how glucose and fructose affects our bodies.

Perhaps this explains why / how paleo / primal / low carb come together. In some ways, they are all cutting fructose (especially High Fructose Corn Syrup from processed foods) - although low carb takes a much broader approach in cutting both glucose and fructose. I feel like I need to research more now to see what foods have sugar coming from glucose vs fructose. Perhaps that's an approach to introducing more carbs: try to find carbs that have minimal levels of fructose.

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Very interesting.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Interesting, thanks, I will make time to watch it later. Maybe this is why the "safe starch" (Perfect Health Diet by Jaminet) concept might work for some people better than primal/paleo, since primal/paleo tends to be heavy on fruits (fructose!)
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Interesting talk - thank you for the link.