Awesome new Salad Dressing Recipe!

Options
SnicciFit
SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
Backstory: I've been visiting this amazing new cafe in town that is non-profit and focuses on using fresh, local ingredients to make the most amazing foods. The menu changes daily and always features 2 soups, 2 salads and 2 sandwiches to choose from. There are often paleo and/or vegan options. It's really incredible. Anyway, the salads are always made with spinach or other greens and the dressings are always a freshly made oil/vinaigrette type. They also often have craisins on the salads. I have been dying to make a similar salad, but I am doing Whole30 right now, so I had to be careful that the dressing didn't have honey or anything like that in it. I searched for a good recipe and nearly fell out of my chair when I found this one, because I have been pretty obsessed with apple butter lately!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spinach-salad-with-apple-dressing

I left the cheese off of my salad and added raisins. Socks were knocked right off!

jVQ7g8NzTs

Replies

• fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish, but one serving of apple dressing will deliver approx 15 grams of sugar. That's way too high for me. And I would rather have the sugar come from fresh fruit or veg. Therefore, I would rather stick to the oil plus vinegar type dressings. Beside, apple butter is just another form of processed sugar. It's a concentrated sugary compound derived from apples. Is there a difference between sugary compound derived from beets, or cane, or concentrated fruit juice? I don't think there is. If one avoids using processed sugar like cane sugar, but uses another form instead, like apple butter, I didn't see much difference. Both are man made concentrated sweet compounds derived from plant origin source. Also, avoiding eating honey, but going for apple butter, also doesn't jive. They are both sugar. Actually, the honey is less processed.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    That restaurant sounds so cool! Wish I could find something like that in Phoenix!
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Sounds delish, but one serving of apple dressing will deliver approx 15 grams of sugar. That's way too high for me. And I would rather have the sugar come from fresh fruit or veg. Therefore, I would rather stick to the oil plus vinegar type dressings. Beside, apple butter is just another form of processed sugar. It's a concentrated sugary compound derived from apples. Is there a difference between sugary compound derived from beets, or cane, or concentrated fruit juice? I don't think there is. If one avoids using processed sugar like cane sugar, but uses another form instead, like apple butter, I didn't see much difference. Both are man made concentrated sweet compounds derived from plant origin source. Also, avoiding eating honey, but going for apple butter, also doesn't jive. They are both sugar. Actually, the honey is less processed.

You're right, in the grand scheme of things, apple butter probably isn't "in the spirit of Whole30" and honey would be better a better option (outside of whole30 guidelines). I am doing my 5th (or maybe 6th) Whole30 in attempt to "get back on track" after the holidays and it's no longer about being super strict...etc., it's about finding a sustainable way of eating for me. This dressing has a place in my sustainable way of eating :)