Best Sweetner for Coffee?

Options
Hello all! I just recently and slowly transitioned into trying Keto (I'm calling myself Kinda Keto because I'm still struggling to get the percentages correct). I cut big carbs out of my diet (bread, pasta etc, etc) and then researched to find an appropriate diet to follow and that's how I stumbled across Keto. My problem is my morning coffee. I usually would put 3 TBSPs of sugar in my morning coffee and now I am down to 2 tsps but it seems like a waste of my carbs. I still want my morning coffee and I want some sweetness to it. I know there are all kinds of sweetener but I would like to know which one is closest to a true sugar taste, meaning no funky weird flavor. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

**Ugh, I spelled "Sweetener" wrong in the subject line and I'm not able to correct it in the edit option. Annoying!*

Replies

• crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately everyone is different when it comes to sugar free sweeteners...luckily for me it does not cause a blood sugar spike or a stall. With that being said the only sweetener I like in my coffee is Davinci sugar free vanilla syrup.
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Here are my preferences for sweeteners to use with coffee from best to worst - Note that these aren't necessarily my picks for sweeteners in baking. Sweeteners really are a personal taste thing.

Excellent
    Truvia - this is an erythritol / stevia blend. I don't notice an aftertaste. (A friend of mine tried it and found it horrible though).
    Natural Sweet Drops from HoldtheCarbs.com -- although, i think they've changed the formula. I haven't tried the current version.
    Z Sweet - also erythritol / stevia blend; Although, I usually use the Truvia packets for my coffee, and save the Z Sweet for baking.

Good
    EZ Sweetz - Stevia and Monk Fruit Extract Liquid Sweetener. A "natural" alternative if that's important to you.
    Nectresse - monk fruit / erythritol (and small amt of sugar and molasses?) - doesn't seem as sweet as Truvia. And I found the packets to be hard to open. It's like a thick foil, instead of paper. My husband didn't like nectresse as much as I did either.
    Sugar Free syrups - DaVinci and Torani. Just be careful - use too much and these get an unpleasant aftertaste. I like vanilla and hazelnut best.

OK in a pinch
    Splenda
    Pure Via - a pure stevia product. To me it has a slightly bitter note.
    EZ Sweetz - the regular stuff with sucralose. To me it has a wonky aftertaste - similar to the DaVinci syrups when you use too much.

Yuck
    Straight stevia - I know many love it - I'm not one of them.
    Blue packets - only if I'm really desperate.
    Pink packets - only if I'm really desperate.
  • djgreen1968
    djgreen1968 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm like you with the sugar in my coffee. I started using whipped cream. Get the real stuff though. I'm still in the stage of getting my percentages right, as this whole diet has confused the heck out of me. :grumble:
  • DintheT
    Options
    I have a bit of an addiction to Torani Sugar-Free Syrups in my coffee. (Also great to add to whipped cream / 'keto-mousse').

I haven't tried them all yet, but I like to order enough different flavor to get free shipping, then I have a big variety on hand. It can seem like a big splurge, but it takes a long time for me and my house-mate to get through all of them. My last order was in August, and I'm only just now thinking I should put a new order together. (I typically like about a Tbs in a 12 oz cup of coffee.)

Our favorite flavors so far: Salted Caramel, Raspberry, and Almond.

Vanilla is super versatile, I use it for sweetening different desserts. I like the Black Cherry in my keto mousse, add some crushed 90% Lindt and/or pecans... heaven!

The Chocolate smells great, but doesn't taste like much to us. The Smore's as good in the right proportion, and better when adding butter to my coffee.

I'm looking forward to trying out: Belgian Cookie, Brown Sugar Cinnamon, Chocolate Macadamia Nut, Cinnamon Vanilla, Gingerbread, and Peppermint!

http://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-Syrups/c/Torani@SugarFreeSyrups
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    I use the Skinny Girl brand liquid monk fruit sweetener. It's much better than the stevia one.