Tone but not buff?

Options
My arms are my problem area. They're a bit flabby and large for my built. I'm doing weights 2x a week but I'm not sure if that'll get the result I'm aiming for. I wanna trim and tone my arms I'm just scared lifting could make them muscular and bigger. Help!

Replies

• whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Lifting while in a caloric deficit will make your arms more muscular and SMALLER. And you'll only look "buff" if you flex.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Your arms are full of fat, not muscle. Try losing fat while building muscle and you'll see them get toned. But if you're going to keep lifting without trying to lose some fat, you're just going to keep the fat on top of the muscle and they will look bigger.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My arms are my problem area. They're a bit flabby and large for my built. I'm doing weights 2x a week but I'm not sure if that'll get the result I'm aiming for. I wanna trim and tone my arms I'm just scared lifting could make them muscular and bigger. Help!

I have the same problem.... but good advice form the previous comments
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    People say you can't spot tone, but it's not really true. Build muscle under the flab, and lose weight, and you'll likely get the results you're after.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The more fat I lose and the more muscle I gain the better mine look! Though they're no where near where I want them
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You're trying to lose weight, correct? You're not going to build muscle at a caloric deficit. You'll lose fat and your arm muscles will show more and you'll look more toned. The goal is to preserve the muscle you have while losing body fat. People don't accidentally put on muscle.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, "tone" is just when you can see muscle through the layer of fat that covers it - however much muscle you do or don't have. It's all about the ratio of muscle to fat. To get "bulky" you have to work at building muscle hard, for years. Most women who get really "big" end up taking steroids. All that to say, don't be afraid to lift some heavier weights and challenge yourself. Make sure you hit your triceps, biceps, shoulders etc. Lots of dips, triceps presses, curls, shoulder presses, and flyes should help. Decline dumbbell flyes are what I credit a lot of my current definition with. Also, god forbid you get more muscle than you want - if you don't use it you lose it. Just stop lifting and you will definitely become less defined.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You're trying to lose weight, correct? You're not going to build muscle at a caloric deficit. You'll lose fat and your arm muscles will show more and you'll look more toned. The goal is to preserve the muscle you have while losing body fat. People don't accidentally put on muscle.

This isn't true at all. I don't know where this myth came from, but it really doesn't even make sense if you just stop and think about it.
  • MissPeppers
    MissPeppers Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I HATED my arms before. Seriously. Hated them. Flabby, big, awful.

Now they are muscular and look good and I like them. Don't worry. Yours will look good to.