just CANT lose the lbs

Options
Hi everybody....I am 62 years of age 5'10 tall and around 15 1/2 stone. I am really careful in my food choices, gave up smoking a year ago, I go swimming with the grandsons but I just cant lose weight at all. When I say I go swimming, I don't actually swim much probably about one length in total, as I play with the kids and am not a brilliant swimmer anyway. I have had both my hips replaces and have arthritis which is now in my spine......this makes it pretty impossible to do much exercise. I also have an underactive thyroid so with all this against me, am I ever going to lose this weight that I have gained since hitting 60. Any ideas.....I seldom go above 1000-1200 calories per day. Thanks guys. :-)

Replies

• dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Hi

Log all what you eat and drink in your diary, get some mutually supportive friends on MFP when they see your diary they will be able to help you more, perhaps you are not eating enough

good luck
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I agree with the post above that you need to log every bite, lick and taste that goes in your mouth.Also friends for honest feedback is very important!
  • mkramarz
    mkramarz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in and agree... I am noticing even now as I try to log in foods, I'm forgetting things - Tonight I had chili and forgot to add the grated cheese and sour cream I put on top - Those items add up - Try it for a month and see what happens - And connecting with friends here helps as well!
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    While calorie count is important, the percentage of carbs, protein, and fat plays an important part in weight loss also.

Good article ==> http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/nutrition/dieting/ask-our-expert-what’s-best-balance-protein-fats-and-carbs

Good luck in finding your sweet spot.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You'll be able to lose the weight when you get scared enough about your health. My prescription is to swim. Swim as if your life depends on it. Because it probably does.

I started out at more than your weight. I'm 5'11", about your height. I started by swimming and walking 1/4 mile. Tripped on the curb and fell in the street the first time I tried the walk. Terribly embarrassing, but I got up and kept going.

I'm 11 years older than you. I know you can do it. When you are ready.
  • californiagirl1950
    californiagirl1950 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi Thelma,

I have not been checking the forums lately and just now saw this post from you. I can relate to the hip replacement. I am due for one end of March. I have had 1 knee done already. And my spine is a mess from my neck down. There are good exercises we can do. First, stretching is very important. If you can, go see a physical therapist for a list of gentle stretches for the spine, then do them at least 3x a day. I find when I slack off doing mine, I am very stiff. Also, do some water aerobics in the pool. Very easy on the joints. March in place, lifting the knees up as far as you can, jumping jacks, side stretches, etc. any movement is good. Good luck on your journey. You have found a great place for support. The people here are wonderful.