Carrageenan,harmful or harmless.

Options

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Just heard today it causes inflammation. I stay away, but its in lots of things that's for sure.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Not the worst stuff ever, but certainly not beneficial at all either. I'm avoiding it. It was the main reason I finally kicked the coffee cream habit and fell in love with Bulletproof coffee. Thanks carrageenan, you were a blessing in disguise.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    It's a migraine trigger for our family.
  • pluckypaleo
    pluckypaleo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have read that because of the inflammation, it makes your brain swell, and can contribute to Alzheimer's. SInce Alz runs in my family, i avoid it like the plague.
    http://www.sustainablebusiness.com/index.cfm/go/news.display/id/24751

"The immune response leads to inflammation, which is a serious public health concern since chronic, low-grade inflammation is a well-known precursor to more serious diseases, including heart disease, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes and cancer," he adds.
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I avoid it. It's in most brands of almond milk, but I found that the Whole Foods brand is made without it, so I buy that now.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    It is one the compounds that is fed, in excess, to lab rats for medical testing. It is used to cause a significant amount of inflammation and then they maintain control (somehow) and use their test meds to counteract it.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What I really resent is when it's used as a cheat, like to thicken heavy cream. It can be really hard to find heavy cream to put in my coffee that is just cream!
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    What I really resent is when it's used as a cheat, like to thicken heavy cream. It can be really hard to find heavy cream to put in my coffee that is just cream!
    I was so annoyed when I returned to Canada after living in E.U for years.I went to buy cream and there is that damn carrageenan,infesting my cream.
    The only luck I have had finding cream free of it is a liberte organic 35%.It's only on occasion that I can get it so for the most part,I don't bother