Success stories?

I would love if those who are losing / have lost weight with a hypothyroid diagnosis would share their success stories.

I am finding it SUPER difficult to lose at all (although I am no longer gaining!!), and have met others here in that sad state too. I think hearing that others are having success can give us HOPE!

Care to share your success stories to give us HOPE??! Please do!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Hi! I had thyroid cancer last year and had my thyroid removed. I take replacement hormone. I have found it harder to lose weight, afterwords, but definitely possible. I have diabetes,so that requires a lower carb diet. I do have stalls in weight loss and find if I am not vigilant the weight comes back on really quickly. I do high intensity interval training frequently, these types of workouts have been proven to raise your metabolism for up to 48 hours after exercising and I think it has been really helpful to me. These workouts are short but intense. Check out fitnessblender.com for free HIIT workouts of varying lengths. Keep trying and you will get there!
  • TeresaPageau
    TeresaPageau Posts: 2 Member
    This is a copy from another post I wrote, but hopefully helps.
    I am a Hypo survivor! I call myself a survivor as I think I have finally found what works for me after 15+ yrs living with Hypothyroidism. I currently am on Synthroid and Cytomel (which I TOLD my new doctor I needed), yes, I bullied him into listening to me. I dumped my old endocrinologist (he was an old school guy who would not even look into my suggestions!)
    I had gained over 50 lbs and was pretty depressed about it! I went to the gym 5 days a week and nothing...nothing!! I at that point gave up, figured I was doomed to gain 5 lbs a year for the rest of my life until I could not fit into my front door anymore!! HAHA...not funny but thats how I felt, ugly, fat, and don't even talk to me about sexy!! My poor hubby!!

Anywho...I found Atkins..started with that, moved onto Paleo/Primal way of eating and lo and behold...I started to loose weight...and fast too!! I lost a total of 30 lbs in less than 6 months!! I have been maintaining said weight loss just eating HFLC. (High fat, low carb) NO sugars, NO breads, NO pasta, No processed foods, Minimal fruit (berries occasionally). If we go back to cooking like our parents did, thats the good stuff right there!! Its about clean eating!!
    I feel GREAT!! I am hoping to be weened off of my meds totally!! I have already dropped my BP meds, my cholesterol meds and hoping the Thyroids meds are next!. You CAN cure yourself! Just eat REAL food, nothing in a box, bag or with a shelf life longer than your pets lifespan!
    We Hypo folk are sensitive to Soy, dump the crappy margarine and cheap oils and feed your body what nature intended for us, Butter, Eggs, meat/chicken/fish, Good healthy oils and fats such as Coconut, Oil, avocado, animal lard (save those bacon drippings!!). I follow several great ppl on Facebook: Healthy Living How To (Vanessa Romero), Maria Mind Body & Health (Maria Emmerich), Low Carbing Among Friends, Living Low Carb One Day at A Time, Ditch The Wheat, Wheat Belly. There's SO much great info out there!!
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    hypo and on the synthroid, hypoglycemic, and super low vitamin d.

after losing lots of weight several years ago, i was able to maintain a healthy weight with regular exercise and watching what i ate - but then i became a sloth for a while and stopped moving and just ate whatever - not super crazy portions, but starbucks lattes and food treats were an almost daily indulgence, chipotle chips were consumed, chobani fruity yogurts were my routine breakfast, that sort of thing - and the weight crept back on.

nothing seems to move the weight off of me except for low carb, low sugar, and low total cal - my endo and i discussed this, and i have been on atkins plan and set not to exceed 1200 cals a day since may 2013.
    i have mainly stayed in induction.

successfully lost the weight - check my ticker! ^_^
    no longer hypoglycemic, vitamin d supplements have me in acceptable range, once again in healthy weight range, continuing to lose for personal reasons - but indeed it is much slower than it was.

**weight loss with thyroid disease is possible**
    just requires absolute resolve and persistence.
    patience.
    and a watchful approach to forever life maintenance.

when i feel i am 'finished' my doctor tells me i would do best to follow the guidelines for a diabetic diet - should i desire to maintain my healthy figure for good.

warm wishes.

=^x^=

p.s. - yay, success, but there is an additional sweet spot to all of this - i enjoy an atkins endulge treat every single night. http://www.atkins.com/Products/Endulge.aspx
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    I had a benign tumor and half my thyroid removed in 2010. It has been a struggle with weight loss ever since. My doctor just changed my medicine to Armour Thyroid because despite an excellent TSH number, my body was not converting T4 to T3 so I was not actually benefiting from the medicine. Be proactive with your treatment. Make sure the doctor is regularly checking your T3 and T4 in addition to TSH. Most important make sure your doctor is listening to your concerns. Make sure you are checking your numbers against the latest NIH information. What is considered normal for regular people is NOT the therapeutic level that people who have thyroid disease require. I've already lost 2 1/2 pounds since January 3rd including 8 days when I too sick to do anything but lay on the sofa.
    Good luck
    Jan
  • a_dogsbestfriend
    a_dogsbestfriend Posts: 12 Member
    I am also doing low carb / no sugar / paleo / primal / keto, but so far the scale is not moving. I haven't really been strict with my calories and macros, but am determined to do so now after reading these success stories. Thanks ladies! Keep 'em coming!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Pre-MFP: went from 236 to 223 on medical keto (less than 30g carb/day) diet. Not a lifestyle, and frankly, on 900-1200 cals/day, was only losing ~1 lb/week.

Kept weight off +/- 3 lbs, for a year, while getting healthier in other ways (sleep, stress levels)

MFP:
    Only 15.4 lbs lost so far, but that's in 43 days, so I'm not complaining. Started on 1200/day and was cold and miserable (but it seemed like a reasonable starting point, w/measured RMR of 1100). Read some of the Eat More To Weigh Less stuff and decided to take a leap of faith in my metabolism's ability to ramp up again.

1310 calories a day, and I'm warm, not hungry, and dropping size and weight consistently. Is my eating perfect? No - my diary's open & you're welcome to look around. There are even a couple of ginormous movie popcorn/coke classic splurges :-) Will I try to improve my eating? Sure...but even now, what I'm doing is working. I should note that I do weigh & log retentively, so any tweaks are done from solid data.

Others have great success with other strategies, and I definitely respect YMMV. For me personally, the key was moderation & being open to experimenting. I can do the current approach for the rest of my life quite comfortably!