protein packed snacks?

I need some protein packed snacks for the afternoon. I really need something in the afternoon to tide me over that isn't a bunch of carbs... right now I'm sitting with about 200 cals left for the day with 23g of protein to go, 29g of carbs, and I'm over my fat by 8g (but I'm not concerned about it, I know my sources are good) For now I usually do beef jerky, yogurt, cheese, or some nuts but am just burnt out. If it has carbs in it, they can't be much more in grams than there are grams of protein, my system does not do well with an abundance of carbs. I'm not currently taking any protein powders, can't quite find one that I like/trust to be high quality. I was considering Dr. Mercola's Optimal Whey.

Replies

• engian
    engian Posts: 70 Member
    Carleenc1909,

You might find one of the protein bars from Think Thin or Clif might suit the bill. Think Thin bars have, depending on the flavor, something like 230-240 calories and 20g of protein. They also have a low glycemic index. The Clif Builders Protein Bars have around 270 calories and have around 23g of protein. I too found I was eating the same snacks over and over and thee bars helped provide some variety, and they are easy to pack and store.

Elia
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Cottage cheese? Bean burrito? I make a lentil/feta salad thing I eat for lunch frequently, should be high on the protein and not bad on carbs..and it's super easy to make..
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Deli ham or turkey will get you there with calories to spare. You could throw in some crackers or pretzels (or apple slices or grapes) if you want the carbs, or cheese if you want more fat. Either one is nice on a salad of Romaine with grape tomatoes and Italian dressing, or any number of other salads.

Some folks swear by those little tuna and crackers snack packs - not a tuna fan myself, but it might be a nice change of pace.

Hard-boiled eggs, 2-3 would get you close.

Enlightened ice cream bars would fit, with some extra fiber too. Textue's not bad if you let them thaw a little first. Be forewarned, though, they're frozen fart bars.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Eat a tin of tuna?
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    I make Jamie Eason's protein bars. She makes them in different flavors but my favorite is chocolate. They are super quick and have lots of protein with few carbs. I make a pan and it last me a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    My fav protien snack for those times is yoplait source fat free greek yogurt. 50 cal per container and 8g of protien.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Dr Mercola is on the same level as Dr Oz - ignore him and any products he sells.

Just get any decent protein powder - Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey is a good solid one. Trutein is very good also.