1200 calorie example meal plan please!

Options
As of today, I am starting a 1200 calorie diet for the next 30 days. Please give me feedback on a 1200 easy and affordable meal plan! Thanks all.

Replies

• sfrohardt5
    sfrohardt5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hope you already got this information, but, in case you didn't, I found this one online: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-plans/lose-weight-meals-oct04

I generally just make one up as I go based on whatever I feel like eating and just adjust as the day progresses. Of course, the key is to not go overboard -- you have to make the first right choice so you can make the next right choice, etc. ;)

I also plan in some items that feel like splurges that won't derail my day. For instance, I have a good sized bowl of "ice cream" whenever I want for less than 50 calories per serving. I do this by taking the redi-whip aerosol of whipped cream (which has very few calories) and pouring it into a bowl until it appears to be about 1 cup or so of ice cream (of course, it's fluffed and airy so it's really not that much). Then, I put it in my freezer until it hardens -- about 30 minutes. Afterwards, I lightly drizzle it (and I do mean lightly drizzle because this is where your major calories come in if your not careful) with chocolate syrup -- like 2-3 very thin stripes -- just enough to add a little flavor. Your taste buds don't know the difference, but your waistband sure does! ;)

I also take grapes and freeze them and eat them -- you feel like you're eating a sinful dessert, but it's just fruit. I hear that you can make paleo ice cream using frozen strawberries and honey or bananas, but the strawberry honey ice cream thing has more calories than my ice cream trick and I'm allergic to bananas so I haven't tried it. Good luck!
  • sfrohardt5
    sfrohardt5 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I hope you already got this information, but, in case you didn't, I found this one online: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-plans/lose-weight-meals-oct04

I generally just make one up as I go based on whatever I feel like eating and just adjust as the day progresses. Of course, the key is to not go overboard -- you have to make the first right choice so you can make the next right choice, etc. ;)

I also plan in some items that feel like splurges that won't derail my day. For instance, I have a good sized bowl of "ice cream" whenever I want for less than 50 calories per serving. I do this by taking the redi-whip aerosol of whipped cream (which has very few calories) and pouring it into a bowl until it appears to be about 1 cup or so of ice cream (of course, it's fluffed and airy so it's really not that much). Then, I put it in my freezer until it hardens -- about 30 minutes. Afterwards, I lightly drizzle it (and I do mean lightly drizzle because this is where your major calories come in if your not careful) with chocolate syrup -- like 2-3 very thin stripes -- just enough to add a little flavor. Your taste buds don't know the difference, but your waistband sure does! ;)

I also take grapes and freeze them and eat them -- you feel like you're eating a sinful dessert, but it's just fruit. I hear that you can make paleo ice cream using frozen strawberries and honey or bananas, but the strawberry honey ice cream thing has more calories than my ice cream trick and I'm allergic to bananas so I haven't tried it. Good luck!
  • Aswennu
    Aswennu Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Here are some meals I eat regularly when sticking to my 1200 goal:

1. 1 cup of Bismati rice & 1/2 of an avocado. I usually add some soy sauce too.

2. 2 packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal (I like the fruit and cream or dates/walnut flavors personally), sometimes I also have a cup of 1% milk with it if I have budgeted ok so far.

3. Archer Farms Singles Steam-in-Bag veggies or grains (These are at Target and are fairly cheap and low calorie- I like garlic cauliflower and feta quinoa the best so far- plus they'll all super easy to make!). I usually have a cup of steamed broccoli with one. Filling and yum!

4. Evol Street Tacos -lots of flavors and fairly low in calories for one meal

5. Reduced fat peanut butter with one piece of thin toast or some apple slices

6. Steamed Veggies! -These are generally low in calories, cheap, and super good for you. I buy a couple different bags of frozen veggies from Costco and just steam them in the microwave when I'm hungry, but don't have many calories left

7. 1 egg and 1 piece of toast

8. 1 bagel and 2tbs of 1/3 less fat philly cream cheese

9. Salad! Your calories and fat will come from dressing, you can pick low cal options or stretch your dressing by shaking your salad a little longer

10. Smart Ones Frozen Food entries -This is a WW brand of frozen food. Sometimes I just want cheesy pasta or pizza, so I eat one of these. They're low calorie options of the foods I like. Some are better than others though! I like the ziti and vodka sauce pastas best..

Snacks:
    1. Kind Bars - good source of fat & protien about 200 cal
    2. Protein Shake- Muscle Pharm Cookies and Cream Flavor 140 cal, tons of protein!
    3. belgioioso snack size fresh mozzarella cheese (80 cal) or a babybel snack cheese
    4. Apples
    5. Cuties clementines

I hope some of this helped! Good luck and if you need help/support, feel free to contact me anytime : )
  • wendyphd
    wendyphd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm new here.
    I'm looking for support on my mfp journey. I want to change my eating habits and stay at an avg of 1200 cal daily. I don't know how to cook. I don't know what to eat (other then the genetic veggies, and fish notion). Therefore I grab candy and pop as a meal -multi times a day.
    I'm a grown adult & it's about time I ate like one.
    Thanks for your help.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I recently started experimenting with a 1,200 calories a day. For me the only way to do it is to mostly eat lean meat and vegetables, eggs for breakfast, almost no processed food or junk, under 100 grams of carbs. Buy a bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Get some seasonings, and low calorie marinades if you want. Throw the chicken in the skillet and cook it. Simple as that. You don't even have to thaw it first. To keep it from sticking, just a small bit of butter, or coconut oil spray, which is listed as having zero calories. I buy bags of frozen veggies and cook them in a pot with a little bit of water at the bottom. The veggies at the bottom get boiled, but the rest are steamed. I add just a small amount of butter and salt to them. Presto, you have dinner.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For snacks, I love the Dannon Light and Fit yogurts. Only 80 calories for a pretty big portion size. Try the raspberry chocolate. It's delish.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have black coffe for breakfast, a 200 calorie whey shake for lunch, and almost anything I want for dinner as long as it includes 6 oz of protein and 2 cups veggies. Love it!
  • ahkce1
    ahkce1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I keep 400g of fat free yogurt as a staple in my diet. Approx 200 calories, quick, filling, and great source of protein and calcium.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Egg whites with mushrooms, spinach or any other veg you have; watermelon and other fruits; raw nuts; k bars; lentils; steamed fish...lots of choices, just plan ahead and innovate with new recipes- I love cooking and experimenting for myself
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've done 1200 calories for few years. I've fell off wagon a few times so I'm not perfect. But I'm 41 years old and 5 feet tall so 1200 is reasonable for me.

Breakfast: 40 calorie bread with low sugar jam. I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners so I prefer low sugar.
    Oatmeal.
    Egg white omelets. I buy egg beaters egg whites. Very convenient!
    Jimmy dean precooked bacon. 4 slices 90 calories with a slice of toast.
    Fiber one bar
    Fresh fruit and yogurt
    French toast. I've soaked 40 calorie bread in egg beaters. Brown in skillet with light
    butter. Top with powder sugar or light syrup
    English muffin with ham and cheese. I buy the borden 2% singles. I also use turkey sausages

Lunch: Frozen meals (until I burn out on them)

Soups. I prefer to make my own. Tomato soup is as easy as sautéing some onion, carrots & garlic in 1
    tsp of oil. Add can of good quality whole peeled tomatoes. Puree & Finish with basil and little
    light sour cream.
    Broccoli soup. Cook frozen florets in chicken broth. Once tender I puree with 2% cheddar and
    laughing cow cheese for creaminess.
    Zucchini soup. Boil sliced zucchini with broth, onion and garlic. Once tender, drain & blend with
    light sour cream. Top with grated parm and croutons.
    Vegetarian chili. Throw together can of chili beans, light kidney beans, small can of tomato sauce,
    diced tomatoes. Add diced onion and peppers and extra chili seasoning.
    *Note: I found the best way to bring soups is in wide mouth mason jars. No staining and no leaking!

Left overs
    Wraps. They make lots of low calorie, low carb and seasoned tortillas and flat breads. Fill with
    turkey or ham, light cheese, lettuce, tomato, light mayo. Viola!
    Salads - obvious I know. But this can include pasta salads. I make one with fiber rich pasta,
    seasoned tuna such as buffalo, lemon pepper or sweet & spicy, light dressing and
    veggies.

Dinner: I try to pick a lean protein: chicken, pork tenderloin, ground round, sirloin, fish
    Experiment. You can make foil packs with veggies topped with a lean protein. Clean up easy
    Add a starch such as brown rice, beans, pasta, corn
    Then a nonstarch: green beans, cauliflower, broccoli.
    Pureed cauliflower is great. Steam or boil cauliflower, drain really good, blend with laughing
    cow light cheese. Creamy dreamy.
    Roasted veggies require little oil but veggies take on a fabulous flavor.
    You can even grill green tomatoes - the bomb!
    Lasagna rollups are a favorite of mine and my families. I boil lasagna noodles. Lay out on cookie
    sheet sprayed with nonstick oil to cool. Mixture is light ricotta, mozzarella, egg, dried basil if
    fresh isn't available. I will add meat to my families such as pepperoni or Italian sausage. I just
    eat cheese version. Place on top of marinara (homemade or bought)
    Stuffed peppers. I use brown right and ground chicken! Yum!
    Tacos: fish tacos, chicken tacos, tacos with lean ground round. I use corn tortillas. For the fish tacos, I use frozen tilapia. I season with old bay or adobo, brown in skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Finish with squeeze of lemon or lime juice. Topping includes cabbage slaw. My favorite side with fish tacos is grilled fresh pineapple. Season with chili powder, salt, pepper and grill.

Snacks: 100 calorie yogurt, air popped popcorn, fruit

Possibilities are endless. Take your favorites and lighten them up. Have fun. Planning ahead is your friend! Experiment with spices: Mrs Dash, adobo, cumin, flavor gods, etc. Spices and citrus pack a punch with little calories. I found the less I eat the prepacked meals, the more I stay on track. There is nothing wrong with them. I can make them with far less calories and more food. Good luck!
  • stellalunag
    stellalunag Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I eat six meals a day of approximately 200 calories each. A typical meal might be container of Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt (80 calories) with a packet of Crispgreen freeze-dried fruit (35-40 calories), and .25 cup of FiberOne cereal (30 calories) plus 1 TB nonfat dried milk as creamer in my coffee (20 calories) for a total of 170 calories, loads of protein, and almost no fat and no added sugars.