A four week break after wk6 of C25K

Options
I'm after taking quite a long break from my c25k program and planning on starting back today. I stopped at week 6 day 2 and completed that monstrous 20min run (which I once thought impossible )!!! :) Just wondering if anyone ever took a long break and were able to begin again at the same level ?? Any advice ?

Replies

• mcglothinm
    mcglothinm Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been working on the program for a while with several breaks thrown in. I do start back at where I stopped, and then if I find it too difficult, I will repeat the week before. I do go to the gym though constantly, so it's not like I'm taking a complete break from exercising either. I was up to week 4 this summer, and then stopped and just started running again around Christmas. That time I started right back with week 4.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That 20 minute run is kind of a game changer. You could probably start back at week 5.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I was one run away from completing C25K and then I went on holiday for four weeks. Although I was active during that holiday (lots of walking and hiking) I have come back and am now struggling to run for longer than 10 minutes without having a take a 1 minute walking break. Previously I had got to the point of being able to run for 40 minutes without a break. So yes, it'll take a few runs to get back into it and if you haven't been exercising at all for the last four weeks your fitness will no longer be as good as it was. Try week 5 and if that's too hard then start week 4 again and work your way through it.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Arrseegee: Try running a 1/2 mile and then walking for a minute. Repeat four times for a total distance of 2 miles. Drop the walk breaks when you can, after a couple runs. You should be back to where you were in 2-3 weeks.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Arrseegee: Try running a 1/2 mile and then walking for a minute. Repeat four times for a total distance of 2 miles. Drop the walk breaks when you can, after a couple runs. You should be back to where you were in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks Varda! I managed to push to out to 20 mins today so I think you're right, a couple of weeks and I'll be back :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks! It's programmed into my Endomondo app as "rduhlir's reconditioning run", to pay tribute where it is due ;)
  • AndreaIteka
    Options
    Vardaelm,arrseegee,/mcglothinm: thank you all so much for the advice I continued at week six day 2 to see how long I could last and managed 1 mile and a bit around 12/13 minutes which is pretty good :) think I'll continue week 6 day 2 till I managed 20mins !!