What's your running/workout schedule?

Options
ybodwen
ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
Hi there!
Just curious about how people structure their workouts-
Do you do C25K every day? Every other day? Grab an opportunity whenever you have it? (like me :))
And what do you do for cross training if anything? Thanks!

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to C25K.
    When I was training, I followed the program and trained 3x a week. I found that the rest days were needed. There were times that I felt like running more often but I stuck with the program.
    I still run 3x a week and have a night of tai-chi class. When tai-chi is out (summers, Christmas) or when I'm on vacation at home, I try to run every second day.
    Other than practicing tai-chi, I don't do any cross training. It's probably slowed down my running progress somewhat but that's okay. With work and home, I find that's enough for now.

Running is a great hobby. I've surprised myself at how much I enjoy it and how good it makes me feel.

Let us know of your progress. We'd love to hear how you're doing and how you're finding it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    When I did C25k, I did it every other day/whenever I could get it in. I have 2 little ones and a full time job. Now, I run Tues, Thurs and one weekend day. I like doing Pilates Monday, resistance training on Wednesday and Friday and taking one weekend day for stretching/recovery.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K, I followed the program as well. Typically I ran Mondays, Wednesdays & Saturdays. Mondays I just tried to get through the first run for each week, Wednesdays I incorporated hills into my run, and Saturdays I tried to finish just a little faster than I had the first two runs for the week (except in Weeks 5 and 6 where they weren't identical runs on my program).

As far as cross-training, I strength trained Mondays, Wednesdays & Thursdays (I ran in the morning & strength trained after work), did Pilates or Zumba on Tuesdays, and typically went for a walk on Sundays. Fridays were my rest days.

Edit to add that I still run 3 times a week, and still typically Monday/Wednesday/Saturday, although I'm joining a training group soon that will meet on Sundays for our long runs so I'll be switching to Tuesday/Thursday/Sunday.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I did it every other day when I did it and did do some cross training with Jillian a few times a week :) I think it was Ripped in 30.
  • spiritsattain
    spiritsattain Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I did three days a week when working the program, and now typically run 4 or 5. I do strength training after (I alternate leg and arm days, and always do some stomach crunches!), and do that 4 or 5 days a week. I've noticed some hip problems, so if that's bothering me, I'll do an easier impact workout on the elliptical (though it's still a rough workout!)

Something that's been critical to me being able to work out so frequently is yoga, which I do at least twice a week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Just curious about how people structure their workouts-
    Do you do C25K every day? Every other day? Grab an opportunity whenever you have it? (like me :))
    And what do you do for cross training if anything? Thanks!

When I was doing C25K I was travelling a lot with work, so I was picking hotels that I could get a run from. In practice that meant doing at least two, sometimes three runs Monday to Friday and one on Sat/ Sun. The extra mid week was just a repeat of the previous session. I generally followed one or two of those with some bodyweight resistance training. I'd also do some rowing at the weekend and subject to the hotel managed a couple of swims as well.

The main thing was always trying to have a non-run day between runs, so not many extras in there.

Now I run five days per week. Sat/ Sun/ Mon/ Tue and either Thurs or Fri subject to my diary. Saturdays are my long run, Friday/ Monday/ Tuesday are interval sessons, Sunday is a shorter distance tempo.

I do some bodyweight work around these as well and sometimes do a decent length row on a Sunday.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I do my longer runs on Tuesday, Friday, and Sunday, with strength training on other days of the week. On the non-running days, I often try to take a nice leisurely walk at lunchtime.
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I run 3 and I lift 3.

10K Trainer on Mon-Wed-Fri
    Stronglifts-Tues-Thurs-Sat
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Every second day, paired with one body group and stretching.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm training 3 days per week, and doing strength training 2 to 3 days. I use small dumbbells right now and do bodyweight exercises. I have found that the strength training has helped my back immensely. I highly recommend doing some form of s.t.
  • riahmess
    riahmess Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i am on week 4 of c25k and i run on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. I'm also on the last level of jillian michaels 30 day shred so i do that everyday!
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of 2 days weight training/3 days running- I am going to aim for that! :)
    Thanks all for sharing!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I run 3 and I lift 3.

10K Trainer on Mon-Wed-Fri
    Stronglifts-Tues-Thurs-Sat

This, except I run Mon-Wed-Sat and do Stronglifts Sun-Tue-Thur.
  • hteepeg
    hteepeg Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Martial Arts - Monday & Wednesday
    Run - Tuesday & Thursday (sometimes Friday or Saturday). I can't seem to stay away but it is hard to find childcare on a Saturday. Once the little one starts up an activity in the spring, I will get an hour to run on Saturday.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am working on C25K for the third time. I got half-way through the first time, finished the second round, ran a 5k, and am back for a repeat. The first time I tried to run 3x/week and did each week twice. I quit when allergy season came around. The second time, I tried to run every other day and went onto the next week when I felt I was ready, so some weeks took me two days, others took me four. I thought this was the best way to move through the program, and am trying to do that again. It gives me a sense of progress at my own pace rather than at the pace of the program. I do caution against moving ahead too fast, especially when you go through it the first time.

I am also including core work this time around. I made the mistake of not doing enough the last time and paid for it with back spasms after my 5K.
  • chachabear79
    chachabear79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    C25k three times a week, aqua aerobics twice a week, then strength training at least once a week and then if I have time to exersice any more then that ,I just do what feels right.:bigsmile:
  • apparatus195316
    apparatus195316 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been following the program and running 3x/week (Sunday, Wednesday, Friday) and trying to get in a yoga session once a week, though I haven't been terribly consistent :\
    Once I finish, I fully intend to continue running three times a week, plus cross-training as much as possible. I'm a single mom of two with a full-time job, so sometimes it's tricky to find the time.