Bench press no spotter

Options
madmags
madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
I am just starting out, so a spotter is not an issue. But my question is for some of you that are hiting higher weights. Do you use a spotter? Do you bench in the squat rack with the safety bar just below chest level? I am not to that point yet, but was just worried about when I do hit that point. I work out at a gym, but I work out alone. I could ask for a spot from someone there, but often I am the only one hitting the free weights when I go.

Replies

• mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    In the beginning if I barely got up the 4th rep on BP I didn't do the 5th and just did the same weight the next time. I have always got it the next time. As the weight got heavier I use the squat rack for BP with the safety bars just below chest level as I always workout alone.
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    In the beginning if I barely got up the 4th rep on BP I didn't do the 5th and just did the same weight the next time. I have always got it the next time. As the weight got heavier I use the squat rack for BP with the safety bars just below chest level as I always workout alone.

I do the same and if not able to get the weight you can always hook the bar onto the closest bars to catch it (like if you get 3/4 of the way up and can finish rep).
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I use the squat rack for BP with the safety bars just below chest level as I always workout alone.
    Yepp :smile:
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I use the squat rack for BP with the safety bars just below chest level as I always workout alone.

^^^ x2 :smile:
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

^^^ x2 :smile:

And I practiced the roll of shame long before I approached failure!
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    AKChevy wrote: »

I do the same and if not able to get the weight you can always hook the bar onto the closest bars to catch it (like if you get 3/4 of the way up and can finish rep).

unfortunately the way the squat rack is at my gym it is either safety bar or additional hooks, because the hit each other if I try to install both at an appropriate height.

Thanks for all the responses, I didnt know if there was other tricks of the trade.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I do it without a spotter and have only had to do the roll of shame once. I'm trying to rep about 10 lbs under body weight.
  • tsimblist
    tsimblist Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I frequently resort to the roll of shame. I still haven't reached bodyweight though.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I don't use the power rack, I also have another rack with 2 safety bars that hook onto the front, I use that for bench press, always with the safeties, one bad experience early on taught me to always use them, period, especially since I have never had a spotter. I leave my power rack set for squats.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    As mentioned you either do the roll of shame which is the safer way to get out, or you leave the clips off the bar and lean over and let the weights fall off, which is more dangerous.
  • Ozzzzzzzzzz
    Ozzzzzzzzzz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I workout alone at home so I leave the clips off. Ive only had to dump once but have had many close calls.

What is the roll of shame? Is that where you wiggle out from under the bar. That seems more dangerous to me.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    This is a video demostration of the roll of shame
  • jswim64
    jswim64 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    if i get to a heavy weight i can tell if it will be too much for me to handle when i get it off the rack. if it is i dont even attempt it i rerack it and go lower. if you gym has the stoppers on it like at planet fitness then adjust them so they will catch the weight for you if you attempt to lift it.
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've got a rack at the house, and I've been practicing my benches in there just to get used to getting to heavier weights. Being at the house, I NEVER have a spotter.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started doing bp exclusively in the squat rack (which I don't like) because I found that worrying about failing was really distracting me and I would never let myself get to a rep where I struggled. First set in the squat rack I went up 5 pounds from the plateau that I was stuck at assuming I'd fail (just to get it over with and get past my weird focus on it). Finished 5x5, with the 5th rep of the last two sets being a real grinder. Never would have pushed like that without safety bars.