Introduce yourself to the group

Options
Hi folks!!! I thought it would be appropriate for us to introduce ourselves. Feel free to share whatever you want, but at least include how much you want to lose, and how long you have been a MFP member. Anything else is up to you!!!! Who knows, you might find someone who shares the same goals, dreams, or aspirations!!!!!

So, I guess I can start. I have been a member of MFP since 2011, I think... possibly earlier... LOL. I am looking to lose at least 50 pounds this year, with a total goal of 70 pounds lost. I like to cook, especially taking unhealthy recipes and turning them into something I can eat without feeling guilty!!! I'm a food science and human nutrition major, and so I am constantly thinking about food and how it helps/hinders the body. It's very interesting, and helpful. I have a kid of the furry persuasion, whom I love!!! I am looking for people to motivate me, offer helpful tips, and keep me on track, who I can do the same for.

Replies

• Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Heyyyyy.... is it just us?

I would like to lose 50 lbs exactly!
  • jcrawford2780
    Options
    No, there are a few other group members, most of whose names I gathered from the post on the getting started discussion board.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I joined MFP in Dec 2013 with a goal to lose 55 lbs in 9-12 months. I cook most of my meals when I am not traveling but I do travel 4 days a week. I gained 50 lbs in last two years after I stopped running because of an injury. I started running again and training for an half marathon in march.
  • jcrawford2780
    Options
    Welcome!!!! I am glad you are recovered and back to running!!!!
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have officially been using MFP since 2011. On my old account, I lost 60 pounds. Since then, I've graduated college and had a stressful introduction into adulthood. I gained back all the weight and now I'm back. My adulthood is mostly secure, so I can focus on my health again.

I currently work as a substitute teacher and a manager in fast food. I juggle healthy living with inconsistent schedules and easily available free junk food.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    Hey all..like i had said in the post..i have broken the 50 pound mark and have 40+ to go. I had hit a plateau over the summer and knew it was because of not tracking. I recently started doing a primal diest and tracking and things have started moving again.
  • goingtodoit15
    goingtodoit15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm probably younger than most here, I'm 19, so not exactly the usual age to have over 80 pounds to lose ... but hey ho. I've been gaining weight my whole life and no one could work out why until I was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder, that makes you gain weight like crazy, incredibly hard to lose weight. Apparently it basically boils down to a carbohydrate/sugar intolerance so I need to try and go low carb/sugar, see if it helps. Going to find that a real challenge though!! Also, this is my first day on MFP! complete newbie
  • azavala78
    azavala78 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

Thank you for the invite :)

I think I joined MFP a few years back - but only really got serious last year about August 2013. I lost and kept off about 8 pounds in 2013, and have been continuing to lose this year. Slowly - but, I don't mind. I have found it easier to maintain my losses if I make little changes everyday.

Last few years have been a whirlwind, and my health has taken the back seat. However, this past year I finished my Master's program, got a full-time job, and got married -- so now that this is all out of the way my husband and I are really focusing on our lifestyle!

Exciting thing coming up for me - I registered for a Sprint Triathalon in San Diego (3 miles running, 12 miles biking, and 1/2 mile swim) later on this year in October. So, this is really giving me the enthusiasm and motivation to move each day! It's for women, so if any ladies in the Southern California area are interested let me know! It would be lovely to meet up and cheer each other on.

We can do this everyone - I think it's totally possible. We do fantastic things every day - let our health/fitness be one of those priorities!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Hey, I'm probably younger than most here, I'm 19, so not exactly the usual age to have over 80 pounds to lose ... but hey ho. I've been gaining weight my whole life and no one could work out why until I was diagnosed with a metabolic disorder, that makes you gain weight like crazy, incredibly hard to lose weight. Apparently it basically boils down to a carbohydrate/sugar intolerance so I need to try and go low carb/sugar, see if it helps. Going to find that a real challenge though!! Also, this is my first day on MFP! complete newbie

My situation is similar to yours, I do have carbohydrate intolerance which left me hungry most of the time when following Standard American diet. I have cut grains, sugars and starchy vegetables for last 7 weeks. I don't feel that hungry between meals and hopefully I can introduce some limited carbs back in to my diet.
  • Sarahmarshwiggle
    Sarahmarshwiggle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Sarah, wife and mother :) been using mfp for a year, I lost a stone before joining mfp and I'm aiming for a total loss of 6 stone, so 45lb to go! :) weigh day tomorrow so fingers crossed!
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Melissa. I've really only been logging and exercising for a little over a week. I've tried many times, and then just kept falling off the wagon. That's why I'm trying to build up MFP friends, because then I'm accountable to someone other than myself.

I'm 249 right now, and I definitely want to get down below 200. After that, I don't know. I'm 6' tall, and the BMI chart says I should be under 180, but that seems VERY low to me. I did Weight Watchers in 2009, and had great results. I made it down to 204, and was very happy. But hey, we'll see. When I get down to 200, I'll update my goals.

A bit about me: my husband and I live in LA, and we've been here for a bit over 3 years. I'm a big tomboy, and I love my Bears, Bulls, Cubs and Blackhawks.
  • ceruleanjen
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I'm Jennifer/Jen. I am aiming to lose 53 pounds. When I get to that point, I'll decide if I want to keep going or not. I've been a MFP member for exactly one week now! I have been working as a graphic designer for the past six years and an aspiring writer since I was eight. I am now trying to get my young-adult fiction published and start a jewelry business on the side.

I live with my fiance' of seven years (this Feb) and an assortment of furry kids--three ferrets, a cat, and a hedgehog. I am also an avid reader. I hate to cook, but lucky for me my fiance is a great cook. Dieting is hard for me because I'm a picky eater and have been known to go on binges. My fiance' is even worse.

I have been overweight since I was ten. I grew up with poor nutrition and have been trying to change that for years. Nothing worked. Three years ago, I was diagnosed with PCOS--Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome--which made me gain even more weight. After discovering I am PCOS insulin-resistant, I decided it was time to get serious in losing weight and becoming healthier. I lost 20 pounds last year by cutting calories, switching to diet sodas, and exercising more. That was a half-hearted attempt, but now I am ready to really work at it.

I am also working on eating better, drinking more water, and exercising at least five times a week. My fiance' is very into outdoors and I am usually not. I would love to be able to go on a hike or a jog without wanting to kneel over.

Fast food/eating out is my main vice. I thought soda was as well, until I switched to flavored water two weeks ago and can go days without one. Very proud of myself for that. Hoping to meet inspiring, supportive people also trying to lose large amounts of weight and that we can all help one another reach our goals. :smile:
  • Sarahmarshwiggle
    Sarahmarshwiggle Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Melissa. I've really only been logging and exercising for a little over a week. I've tried many times, and then just kept falling off the wagon. That's why I'm trying to build up MFP friends, because then I'm accountable to someone other than myself.

I'm 249 right now, and I definitely want to get down below 200. After that, I don't know. I'm 6' tall, and the BMI chart says I should be under 180, but that seems VERY low to me. I did Weight Watchers in 2009, and had great results. I made it down to 204, and was very happy. But hey, we'll see. When I get down to 200, I'll update my goals.

A bit about me: my husband and I live in LA, and we've been here for a bit over 3 years. I'm a big tomboy, and I love my Bears, Bulls, Cubs and Blackhawks.

Hi Melissa! I'm 5'10 and wanting to get to 180, I have a large frame (wide shoulders/pelvis/long arms/legs) I haven't been slim for a long time lol but I'm aiming for a size rather than a weight (would ultimately love to be a UK 12 but we'll start with a 14) feel free to add me!
  • bethyv1030
    bethyv1030 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Hey group,

I'm Bethany, 24, from Minnesota. I have been a member of mfp for a while(since 2011 or 2012), but mainly started my actual weight loss journey on July 1st, 2013. I have lost just over 30lbs so far and am looking to drop another 50-55 to get to my medically defined "healthy weight". I enjoy talk to and meeting new people as well as sharing tips and stories with others on mfp. I love positive people and look forward to talking to you guys for motivation. Feel free to add me and check out my diary to swap meal ideas :)
  • Cyndesire
    Cyndesire Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi. 34 y/o mother of four in Oregon. I have lost 30 lbs so far. 62 to go. I know I will get there. I need all the positive supportive people I can get as I have no support at home. I am doing great and feeling awesome. I would like to share that with others. Please add me. I log everyday.
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My name is misty I started mfp in november 2013 and had already lost 56 lbs by that point. I was on u tube watching weight loss success stories and tips and heard this site mentioned and thought to give it a try. I'm sooooo glad I did it is a great site and has been so helpful, I've lost 24 more lbs while on here for a total of 80 lbs and still need to lose 69 more lbs to be in a healthy BMI.range. So thankful to be on here and hope we can all support each other and do this so we can all reach our goals
  • lizbomb81
    lizbomb81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone :) my name is Lizzie and I'm 20 years old.
    Ok so I don't exactly have 50 lbs to lose, I'm probably looking more around 35-40... I just joined MFP today (had it in the past but didn't really use it, and I've never used these community message board things before). I weigh probably around 185, I say probably because I used to be at 187 (highest that I know of) and then went down to 183 somehow, and I feel like a gained a few so I'm just assuming 185ish. I would weigh myself today but I'm really OCD about it that it has to be in the morning before I've eaten/drank anything haha. So tomorrow morning I should know for sure! Anyways I'm 5'7 and pretty curvy in the booty region so I don't think going any lower than 145 will look too good on me, but we'll see how it goes! It could end up being more or less.
    Feel free everyone to add me because I don't really know anyone on here! I'm hoping to find some friends/buddies that could help with accountability and such :) sorry for the long paragraph!
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am from New York State and have battled weight loss for nearly 10 years. Prior to that, I have always been thin/fit.

Food (sweets) is my drug. I don't drink, I don't smoke and I don't do drugs, so when life got tough, I turned to sweets.

I am very happy to be in this group!!
  • swsays
    swsays Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    HI everyone. I'm Sarah, age 48, wife, mom, full time work outside the home. I have spent the last 10+ years sliding into this spot, so am taking a slow and steady approach to climbing back out of it and finding the "inner athlete" I know is in there! I started power yoga several times a week in early October, a daily green smoothie in mid October, and now after three months have added MFP and some weight training and taking a VERY SLOW start to the Couch-to-5k program. Happily, I'm finding my motivation is increasing as time goes on and I am feeling absolutely evangelical about the life changing effects of yoga and green smoothies - I am rarely hungry and rarely have cravings. I am not real focused on weight loss - getting my head in a good place and taking care of myself have been my primary goals - but if I had to state a long term goal, I would have about 63 pounds to go. If I only lost half that, however, I would be ecstatic. My short term goal is 1-2 pounds a week and so far, so good.
  • Rebekah718
    Rebekah718 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am 35 I have been married to my best friend for 16 years he is absolutely the love my life. We have two beautiful children together a daughter who is 13 and a son that is 10. We do everything together unfortunately even gain weight. This is the year that it all seemed to click. My son has special needs and is gaining a lot of weight due to meds. I am trying to cook lighter and be more active with him.

My goal is to loose fifty pounds by July we are making a lot of lifestyle choices and to celebrate we are going to Kalahari water park hotel for vacation.