Instead of juice...

Options
2»

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    "Natural flavor" came up in conversation tonight. I haven't researched it, but someone talked about how natural flavors in some soda pops are derived from some beaver gland and (I think they said chemicals derived from) the animal's urine. Natural raspberry was one of the flavors mentioned. Eeew. I wonder if it's true, or if it's an urban legend.

(After all, both beaver glands and urine are "natural".)

Yes, it's true. To me, an ingredient coming from a beaver isn't that disturbing but I still want it specifically listed. The many other things that can be called "natural flavour" are far more disturbing. Everything on this planet can be called "natural" including food additives manipulated in a laboratory. All the non-specific ingredients are a way industry have been allowed to sneak certain things into "food" for a certain desired effect and not have to tell us what it is. To me, that is unacceptable.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    OP: I made my first infused water yesterday and it is really good. I just sliced some limes and lemons, put them in a jug, added water and let it sit in the fridge all day. Amazing how quickly the water was infused and tastes of the lemons/limes. I'm going to try it with other fruit soon - I love oranges so that's my next one. Basically you can get imaginative by adding mint, and different combinations of fruits.
  • Ledgehanger
    Ledgehanger Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    "Natural flavor" came up in conversation tonight. I haven't researched it, but someone talked about how natural flavors in some soda pops are derived from some beaver gland and (I think they said chemicals derived from) the animal's urine. Natural raspberry was one of the flavors mentioned. Eeew. I wonder if it's true, or if it's an urban legend.

Yes, it's true. To me, an ingredient coming from a beaver isn't that disturbing but I still want it specifically listed. The many other things that can be called "natural flavour" are far more disturbing. Everything on this planet can be called "natural" including food additives manipulated in a laboratory. All the non-specific ingredients are a way industry have been allowed to sneak certain things into "food" for a certain desired effect and not have to tell us what it is. To me, that is unacceptable.
    My understanding is that that's an urban legend. (Then again, I'm also too lazy to look it up, so Akimajuktuq may well be correct. :tongue: )

She certainly is correct in the larger point - that "natural flavor" is a vague enough term as to be entirely useless for evaluating the content. (Arsenic, for example, is a "natural" substance - as is botulism!)
  • madammariposa
    madammariposa Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    thank you so much all! I think I may try using a juice-like herbal iced tea (fruity flavour or something similar). I know that such a small amount is not that bad, but according to MFP it's 27 carbs and that is quite a bit considering I'm trying to lower them to under 100.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

My understanding is that that's an urban legend. (Then again, I'm also too lazy to look it up, so Akimajuktuq may well be correct. :tongue: )

She certainly is correct in the larger point - that "natural flavor" is a vague enough term as to be entirely useless for evaluating the content. (Arsenic, for example, is a "natural" substance - as is botulism!)

Not an urban myth. It's called "castoreum" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

There are many surprising uses for it. It magnifies scent and flavour.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Not an urban myth. It's called "castoreum" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castoreum

Am I the only one that doesn't care? It's like eating snout to tail. Of course, I eat lots of things other people think is gross...so there's that :tongue:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Am I the only one that doesn't care? It's like eating snout to tail. Of course, I eat lots of things other people think is gross...so there's that :tongue:

Well, excuse me. I was posting information in response to "urban legend".

I am a vocal, opinionated person; feel free to ignore me. However, I don't think it's necessary to be rude.