Bulletproof coffee?

Options
pluckypaleo
pluckypaleo Posts: 50 Member
I have seen it talked about here and there, and I was wondering how people like it. I read a post on stupid easy paleo about it
http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/10/21/can-coffee-really-improve-health-meet-bulletproof-2/ .

who drinks it, and if you do, do you feel better having that fro breakfast vs a green smoothie? I have been paleo for 25 days and looking to change my breakfast routine.

Other suggestions are welcome too!

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Love it ! Coffee, kerrygold Irish butter, tbsp MCT oil, Hershey's dark cocoa, yummee ! Great energy ! Mentally & physically awesome feeling thru my workout & rest of my day. I order my stuff from Bulletproof Exec website, the starter kit has the best deal.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have seen the threads on BP coffee, I am a bit of a coffee snob I do not mess with a good brew so it doesn't interest me. People say it boosts their energy and also the fat content is good for you but I can't stand flavored coffee at all.
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Usually during the work week I just do 1-2 tbsps MCTin my mug of coffee when I walk (5 AM) it easily gets me to lunch about noon. Once in a while I will add some butter or dark cocao.

I can't say it has helped me lose any more weight but it does let me have consistently good energy through the work day. No carb crazies or crash after lunch.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    When I have it,it's normally with lemon and ginger coconut oil.
    I don't feel it makes things better for me,I find coffee generally ramps up my hunger.
    I like to get my fat other ways and prefer mornings to be fasted or with actual food.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    When I do it, I do a variation the Mark Sisson comes up with that he calls "Primal Egg Coffee," and that I toyed around with further. It's actually really good and makes for a good warm breakfast.

1 cup coffee
    3 eggs
    2-3 tbsp butter
    1-3 tbsp your choice of milk (I use full-fat dairy, personally)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    dash of cinnamon and/or cocoa

(Everything after the butter is optional, but affects flavor/creaminess. The sugar is actually used here as more or less a spice as opposed to a sweetener - it helps bring out the other flavors and, in my opinion, the drink tastes flat without it. Coconut oil can also be used in addition to the other ingredients, but I don't like the texture that it creates when mixed with coffee.)

While the coffee is brewing, blend everything else just so the butter isn't in big chunks (make it melt faster), add coffee, then blend until the butter is incorporated and the drink starts to get a frothy head. Pour and enjoy.

Some things I've learned and FAQ:

The concoction removes a lot of the bitterness from the coffee, making it susceptible to flavor changes from the coffee itself, so experiment with different types of coffee to get a brew you like, because you'll really taste it.

No, it doesn't taste "eggy." The egg emulsifies, just like it does in mayo, and you end up with a texture somewhat similar (though not quite as thick as) egg nog.

No, I don't worry about salmonella. You're actually more likely to contract it from your produce than from properly stored eggs. In all the years I've consumed raw eggs in various forms (historically usually as cookie dough, pre-Paleo/Primal), I've never gotten sick.
  • megastorm82
    megastorm82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know how i lived before bullet proof coffee. I do about 12 to 16 ounces of coffee with about one tablespoon coconut oil, one tablespoon kerrygold, and a squirt of liquid stevia... If I feel like having a 'mocha' I blend in a tablespoon of cocoa powder too. It is delightful :)
  • tanya8707
    tanya8707 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking bullet proof coffee for over a year now. More often than not I drink 16 ounces a day. I use 4 teaspoons of ghee (clarified butter with the protein casein removed , because I am casein sensitive), 3 tablespoons of MCT oil, and a 1/4 cup of coconut cream (adds great flavor!). I blend this with fresh brewed coffee and usually drink it with a hard boiled egg or 4 sausage links for breakfast. Usually keeps me full for 6+ hours, and gives me plenty of energy. I have lost 100lbs on paleo and while drinking this concoction. I would recommend it to anyone who could learn to enjoy the flavor or butter in your coffee (since butter is just pasteurized cream!). Try it, you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have seen the threads on BP coffee, I am a bit of a coffee snob I do not mess with a good brew so it doesn't interest me. People say it boosts their energy and also the fat content is good for you but I can't stand flavored coffee at all.

I HATE flavoured coffee too (vanilla, hazelnut etc) but I can assure you that butter and coconut oil don't flavour the coffee, at least not in a way that I detect. But I used to have cream so have always liked something in my coffee. Coffee snob too.

I tried egg yolk in my coffee and it frothed nice and tasted good for a few sips then I didn't like it. Personally I wouldn't recommend sugar or any sweetener as it was hell giving up the honey I loved. Best not to start. I will use a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa once in a blue moon for something different, and even a packet of gelatine.

I use it in my IF period, but only about half of a tablespoon of fat per cup. I don't like solid food in the morning at all so BP coffee is perfect. It did take me awhile to adjust to BP coffee as I was pretty resistant to giving up the cream and it took me a few tries to figure out my emulsification method.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but I can't get past the putting butter/oil in coffee. :sick:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Cream is fat. Cream and butter also come from the same place.

It did seem strange to me at first too, but I absolutely prefer it to cream now. For those of us who base our diet on fat, it also helps us reach our fat goal while also avoiding commercial cream.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

Cream is fat. Cream and butter also come from the same place.

It did seem strange to me at first too, but I absolutely prefer it to cream now. For those of us who base our diet on fat, it also helps us reach our fat goal while also avoiding commercial cream.

I know, I know...totally a mental thing. I will have to try it. Right now I'm using full-fat coconut milk in my coffee, and it is just okay.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I do it but in my own weird way. I'll swallow two tablespoons of MTC oil, eat two tablespoons of butter, and then drink my coffee black.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am curious to try it, but I really do love my dark roast coffee black.

Maybe I'll dump some bacon fat in it on Sunday's family bacon feast. ;) Bacon coffee anyone?

Not trolling, sorry. I really should give it a try. Also, where do you buy ghee? I have looked a couple of times and can't find it.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't expect BP coffee to taste like the coffee you're used to. It will taste different but still good. The only place I have found ghee is in my local health food store.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I almost forgot. If you're not a coffee drinker try googling "Himalayan Butter Tea". The taste is more like a broth than a tea.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Maybe I'll dump some bacon fat in it on Sunday's family bacon feast. ;) Bacon coffee anyone?

Not trolling, sorry. I really should give it a try. Also, where do you buy ghee? I have looked a couple of times and can't find it.

I'd be willing to bet that bacon coffee would be delicious.

You could probably find ghee at any store that stocks health food or Indian food. I live in the Arctic and the only place I finally found grassfed ghee that I could order online is from the UK (through amazon.ca, amazon.com has even more choices). A month and a half and it still isn't here. :(
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

You could probably find ghee at any store that stocks health food or Indian food. I live in the Arctic and the only place I finally found grassfed ghee that I could order online is from the UK (through amazon.ca, amazon.com has even more choices). A month and a half and it still isn't here. :(

As with many things, if you can't buy it, you can probably make it.

Nom Nom Paleo to the rescue! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

Basically, get the highest quality regular butter (probably unsalted) you can get your hands on, render it not unlike you would with other animal fats, and voila! Ghee!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

As with many things, if you can't buy it, you can probably make it.

Nom Nom Paleo to the rescue! http://nomnompaleo.com/post/15235810877/d-i-y-ghee

Basically, get the highest quality regular butter (probably unsalted) you can get your hands on, render it not unlike you would with other animal fats, and voila! Ghee!

Makes sense. I can't get grassfed forms of any food so ordering grassfed ghee from the UK works for me, but I wouldn't do that if I lived elsewhere. (But Amazon is handy!) I also do so much at home that I have to pick and choose what little short-cuts to take just to make life livable. I mostly do things from scratch and spend the equivalent of another full time job in the kitchen every week and that's also why I live in a pig sty. lol
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to mix up your BP coffee.

I was to lazy to actually read how to make it. I got the basic idea and just dumped coconut oil and butter in my coffee (I know, I know, I'm an idiot). I drank it this way for several months until I realized you were supposed to blend it to mix everything together. It tastes better that way and it doesn't seem like you are drinking an oil slick.

In case you haven't read this: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/bulletproof-coffee-recipe/
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I've made it a few times, though not like the 'official' recipe instructs. No blender or anything, just 10g butter and 10g coconut oil and two teaspoons of gelatin mixed in with instant coffee. I just whipped the spoon really fast while adding hot water, then when it's all melted I'd put the coffee capsule machine thing on to pour some decent black coffee in.

I don't do it often, though, not anymore. But when I did, I liked to mix stuff in. Protein powder, gelatin, eggs, etc. Tried almond butter once. That was a trippy day.

As much as I don't mind a BP coffee - it is pretty tasty, but takes a while to drink and is pretty damn filling (*for me, anyway), I'd never ruin a good coffee for it. I like my coffee black and bitter. But instant? Sure, why not.