Phase I Experiences?

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am about start Phase I and I'm wondering what others have experienced. In the book I'm reading it says you may feel tired, cranky, and a mini meltdown is not unheard of! I'm a complete carb/sugar addict and a veggie hater, so I know this will be a struggle. Please let me know what can expect over these next two weeks. What was the best and worst of it?

Thanks!

Replies

• AJLovinLife
    AJLovinLife Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did not want to read and not respond. I myself skipped the phase one because I did not realize there was a phase one until 3 weeks in. LOL I had checked out the books from the library and they were all the cookbooks because the others on the diet were gone and none mentioned phase 1. Then I did not want to go back, I love my fruit. :) I did do something similar in December just not as long as 2 weeks and I was feeling so weird. Every time I would eat I would get super dizzy and just feel out of it. There are times when I debate on if I should go back and try phase one but I just can't bring myself to do it. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you. Sorry I was probably not very much help.
  • iamfatnsassy
    iamfatnsassy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Phase I isn't going too bad. The pounds are coming off. I'm sure it's all water weight, but it helps to keep me on track. So far I haven't noticed any weird 'side affects'. I hope I can keep it up for the full 2 weeks! Good luck to you!
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    .. started back in October 2013 and am down 37 lbs so far,
    5.7 last week
    now that I am lighter, i'm getting in 3-5 miles/walking per day, +yoga, +pilates and inverting
    feels great
    easy to stick to
    BP is perfect, blood sugars are so good i'm using 1/3 the meds I was taking
    no more foggy-headed-ness, no longer sleepy all the time
    feels great to get moving !

Marni (Canookie)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    .. started back in October 2013 and am down 37 lbs so far,
    5.7 last week
    now that I am lighter, i'm getting in 3-5 miles/walking per day, +yoga, +pilates and inverting
    feels great
    easy to stick to
    BP is perfect, blood sugars are so good i'm using 1/3 the meds I was taking
    no more foggy-headed-ness, no longer sleepy all the time
    feels great to get moving !

Marni (Canookie)
    WELL DONE!
  • pakelly17
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

My wife and I just started the DASH Diet, we've been pushing to be healthier and eliminate stress. I wanted to see if anyone had experience with exercising during the first phase. We've been exercising pretty often during the week, a combination of strength training and cardio. Just wanted to see if we should modify this?

Thank you!

PK
  • ckdprevent
    ckdprevent Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I use Fitbit. It syncs with myfitness pal and adjusts my calories by the amount I burn. But with DASH I normally just add a vege or fruit with my extra calories. I can't eat a lot of protein, so I can't add it there.
  • simplyme99
    simplyme99 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just started Phase I today. Hoping all goes well, I am going to take this one day at a time and try to stay focused!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just started Phase I today. Hoping all goes well, I am going to take this one day at a time and try to stay focused!
    Good luck. You KNOW it's a healthy way to eat, and just need to make it your habit to want to eat healthy and yummy foods.
  • simplyme99
    Options
    Thank you! Day 1 went well - onward I go to Day 2! :)
  • simplyme99
    Options
    Day 4 in Phase I and I am down 3 lbs!!
  • mossyoakcwgrl
    mossyoakcwgrl Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Day 8 of phase 1 and I'm down 7.2 pounds!
  • cking824
    cking824 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Day 3 of Phase 1. So far, so good. I've lost 2 pounds.

I took the advice of the author last night and went to bed early. I couldn't believe how well I slept. I also use the advice of the author and eat the sugar free Jello whenever I need a quick snack. Yesterday, I ate 3 of them, along with the 3 meals and snacks that I had packed for work.

I hope more people share their experiences for Phase 1.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hello cking824, I am halfway through a 15/21 quick loss diet (lose 15 lbs in 21 days) and have lost 10 lbs so far! I bought the DASH Diet Action Plan (2014) by Marla Heller and am prepared to stick to it after Labor Day. The trick this time is logging all of my food with MyFitnessPlan, tracking my steps with my Garmin activity tracker, and as the DASH Diet recommends, getting some exercise in. One thing you said that I like and that's sugar free jello. I keep some of those in my desk drawer at work. I also like the Kozy Shack "Simply Well" puddings and "Smart Gels" because they don't have artificial flavors or preservatives, but they also have to be refrigerated.
  • AndyLynne
    AndyLynne Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have decided to get back on this program. I am trying to sync my "MyFitnessPal" app, so to speak, but cannot find the nutrient goals in the book anywhere. For example, what are the macronutrients we should aim for in the different phases. When I enter what I've eaten and then look at my report for the day, it's all skewed because I don't know what to enter in the profile/goals section for each day. I tried asking on the DASH facebook page, but I don't think they understood my question. Do you know where in the book I might find this? I have an ebook, so it's not optimal for searching through to find stuff. UGH! I just want to keep track. Thanks if you can help. Oh, and P.S.: glad I found this group. Doesn't seem real active, but maybe we can rejuvenate it a bit. Next time I'm in here, I'll do a little intro about me. Off to another meeting at work, so gotta run. Have a great day!!
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    @AndyLynne Try using the DASH Diet Action Plan. It's a newer book than the original DASH Diet book. However to answer your question go to https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dash. MyFitnessPal defaults to the DASH Diet recommended sodium intake of 2300 mg/day. So you don't need to adjust that level unless you want to go down to 1500 mg. Agree with you about rejuvenating the activity in this group.
  • WVJilly
    WVJilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I start my second week of Phase 1. I have to say, I feel much better than I did before I started. My clothes are feeling a little looser- a powerful incentive for me to continue. I'm going to stock up today on fresh veggies. This time, I'm going to spend a little extra time prepping them when I get home from the store. Cut up carrots and celery. Hard boil some eggs. That kind of thing, so I can grab some quickly. Also, going to do a little research before I go, to find recipes I can make that will give me leftovers for additional meals. I don't want to rely on high sodium, quick food, such as low fat deli meats.

Honestly, I haven't been hungry as long as I plan ahead a little. Isn't that amazing? Just convinces me even more that it's not how much I eat, it's what I eat. I try for a goal on calories too. And some nights I have more to eat to reach that goal. It's highlighted for me just how low calorie veggies really are!! MFP is a great help in doing the DASH. Always a great food tracker. :)
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    Hello Hornish congratulations on making it most of the way through phase 1. I found that if I eat ANY fast food that I can kiss my 2300 mg of sodium per day goodbye. Even restaurants like Subways and Panera Bread that I thought were healthy have a lot of sodium in their products. Same things goes for soups that say lower sodium.
    They may be lower, but there're not low. You're doing it right with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables.
  • oreo011
    oreo011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My book came Saturday!! Today is DAY 1 PHASE 1!! @ernestrodgers82 @AndyLynne Lets get this group going even if its just the 3 of us....it would be good to have someone to check in with and be accountable to.
  • ernestrodgers82
    Options
    Ha..Ha, you're right @oreo011, it's just us three but I'm sold on the benefits of the DASH Diet. However, I'm not doing so well on keeping below my calories since I've lost almost 30 lbs (30 to go) since August. I printed another copy of the 5-day sample menu plan to try and calibrate to 2,000 calories per day.

Check out the article from the upcoming Harvard Medical School journal. The article is titled, "DASH diet linked to better dental health" and can be found at health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/in-the-journals-dash-diet-linked-to-better-dental-health.

Good luck with your Phase 1
  • xlopezlarios
    xlopezlarios Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello All - Just started Phase 1 today. I'm 35 years old with high blood pressure issues. My goal is to be healthy again and if the weight comes off well even better. I always try to stay away from sodium, because i don't like the taste of salt. :P Please share some of your experiences and help me thru this. I've been working out for about 2 months now (cardio boxing & cross-fit). Well wish me luck! Always open to new recipes.

Thank you!