Training on an indoor rubberized track

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
Hi all,
I just finished w5d1 today. I run on an indoor track. I'm wondering what I can do to transition to outdoor running in spring. Do I re start the program just like folks who started on the treadmill. Is it going to be a dramatic change, the indoor track versus outdoor running? I have terrible allergies and will run outdoors only once a week or so. I plan to continue running indoors and going out just to ensure I can run that 5K when I sign up for one.

:)

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't think it will be as much of an adjustment. You'll need to learn to run hills though.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into hill training. Any pointers?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll look into hill training. Any pointers?

Small light steps.
    Maintain or increase your cadence, but slow your speed way back.
    You should feel the downhills in your quads, not your shins.
    Going up, drop your hands to your hips and focus on a powerful rear arm swing.
    Going down, you don't need arm swing as much, raise your hands to your bust line and stick your elbows out like little wings for balance.

Hills suck, but runners learn to love the challenge. They will make you faster on the flats.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thank you for the tips!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Keep access to your indoor track though. Those are the best places to do speed works when you get further into running. I wish I had access to one for my 400s lol.
  • pmur
    Options
    Keep access to your indoor track though. Those are the best places to do speed works when you get further into running. I wish I had access to one for my 400s lol.
    I just saw this! Thank you for pointing this out. I was planning on canceling my membership in the spring/summer months when I'm not allergy prone. I'll keep going there 1/2 a week.