The weekend dread.

Options
Hello everyone, Im new to the group. heres a little insight into me! I'm a 31 year old wife and mother. It seems at times I run a mini zoo with all the pets/kids I have. My husband is not aware of how bad my binge eating can be, I hide what I eat a lot, though it was a lot easier when he was in the military. Funny thing, I never once thought what Im doing was not my fault per se..as in having an addiction just like an alcoholic or drug addict. It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Controlling my hunger sometimes feel like holding back a tidal wave, it really is exhausting. Then you have friends and family who dont get it. No matter how many times you tell them NO! I'm watching my weight or taking care with what I eat, they act like you are crazy. It sucks when I make a cake and have to pretend I dropped it on the floor so my husband wont know I ate the whole thing, or eating an entire box of cereal in one sitting and having to go back to the store to buy a new one so no one knows. In fact after I post this topic I must go to my wall to delete it, so my family who are friends with me on mfp wont see. This is my life, constantly living in secret and shame. Hiding bad food in my room so my kids wont know I eat that stuff (strangely I am very picky about what my children eat). So this is me..well partly, I'm more than just a binger.

My questions is..does anyone else have trouble not binging on the weekends? It seems for me every friday night through sunday night my beast within escapes and I dread it. Also do you keep this part of you from your family and friends?

Replies

• WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I understand, here are a few pointers that helped me:

- I started eating wholesome foods and that decreased the crazy hunger that would drive me to binge. You wrote about having uncontrollable hunger.
    - If I go to parties on weekends, I pack a few protein rich snacks.
    - I'm more mindful of what I eat.
    - I cook most of my meals, make sure they are rich in protein and fiber.
    - Exercising reduces my boredom and feelings to binge, maybe it counteracts depression? I think so.
    - I have always had low self esteen which contributed to this, so I'm trying to feel better about myself, i'ts a cycle.

good luck!
  • MSWDiet
    MSWDiet Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    WannabeStress AND I SHARE MANY OF THE SAME TECHNIQUES.

-CARRYING FOOD HELPS ME A LOT. THESE DAYS WITH PEOPLE MORE AWARE OF SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS, FEW FOLKS TAKE OFFENSE AT THIS.
    - IT'IS HARDER WITH FAMILIES BUT SEARCHING FOR RECIPES KIDS ALSO LIKE AND SLOWLY CHANGING THE FAMILY DIET CAN HELP.
    -FIBER, PROTEIN, AND SIMPLE HOME COOKING MAKE THINGS EASIER AND MAY REDUCE CRAVINGS.

THE EMOTIONAL ISSUES ARE A DIFFERENT STORY AND TOUGHER TO ADDRESS. ITS NOT AS SIMPLE AS FOLLOWING A SET OF RULES BUT WE MUST KEEP TRYING. THOSE WHO HAVEN'T LIVED IT RARELY UNDERSTAND. PARTICULARLY WHEN OUR BE MAKES US FAT BECAUSE WE DO NOT PURGE.

YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS. TIRESOME AS IT GETS, WE MUST KEEP AT IT.

I DON'T YELL. I TYPE LOUD SO I CAN SEE WHAT I WRITE. ;-)
  • rlnadolny
    Options
    Thank you for the tips! I'm doing better now that I'm being more constant with my workouts/ routine. Exercise has been keeping my hunger at bay during the day, but at night it's harder. Last night when I felt a binge coming on, I made some fresh popcorn to munch instead and it worked! I also was able to put it down without scarfing it all! Feeling pretty good about this.
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Agreed w/ MSWDiet, we must keep pushing and looking for a balance that works for us as individuals. Support is needed, I love MFP, finally I can relate and support others as well as receive support. I don't purge so I tend to gain weight fast when I binge, it's my life long battle, but one I'm more comfortable with and slowly learning to control.