question re: TDEE activity level

Options
Hi all. I’ve really enjoyed reading through the posts on this group and have learned a lot! I’ve got a question re: the Scooby Workshop TDEE calculator that I haven't been able to find an answer for in previous threads. It seems to me that the activity level options have a pretty big range—I feel like there is a HUGE difference between 3 hours of exercise per week vs. five, even though they are both in the “moderate exercise” category. I am having a hard time figuring out which activity level to select.

Right now I am doing a very slight cut to lose less than 10 lbs. Because I’m not overweight to begin with, I’m thinking of doing a 15% calorie reduction from my TDEE, as this isn’t anything urgent and I’m happy to lose slowly (calculator says I’d lose .6 lbs/week at this rate).

When I enter 3-5 hours of moderate exercise, I get about 1830 calories/day
When I enter 1-3 hours of light exercise, I get about 1630 calories/day

In reality, my physical activity probably falls somewhere in between the two—a little over 3 hours a week total of formal moderate exercise. So, I was thinking of picking a calorie number in between the “moderate” and “light” range—about 1700 per day?

What do you think? Is this something people do, or an I over-analyzing? Here is my realistic weekly exercise at the moment:

Monday:
30 minute jog (10 minute miles)
25 minutes strength training (moderately heavy weights + body weight exercises)

Tuesday:
Off

Wednesday:
20 min HIIT on treadmill
OR a 45 minute strength/cardio circuit class

Thursday:
Off

Friday:
20 min HIIT on treadmill

Saturday:
50 minute jog (10 minute miles)

Sunday:
60 minutes yoga or Pilates (pretty low-intensity, wouldn’t count this towards weekly minutes—I do this more to address some flexibility/posture issues I have)

Total: A little over 3 hours of "moderate exercise"

I work a desk job and sit most of the day, but I do walk a lot (I live in an urban area where I don’t need to own a car).

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) Do you have current tracking history and change of weight data? If so, this can often be more valuable than an online calculator.

2) If you don't, I'd probably choose something in the middle and just focus on accurate tracking/logging and what the results are over a few weeks, and modify it as needed.