New and Struggling

Options
Fit_Mama84
Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
Hey all, I just joined this group. I have been strugging with emotional eating for a long time. In college, my best friend helped me get a handle on it and I have been doing well most of the time since then. However, since the Holiday's I have done a tailspin out of control. My emotions are more intense then usual and nothing seems to relieve the anxiety and depression except food. I want to break down and cry. When you reach this point, what do you do? I'm already exercising, but need more strategies to cope. What helps you when you feel the most desperate?

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Christmas has always been a huge trigger for me.
    It brings up childhood, family, siblings etc. etc.
    This year I didn't over eat and that's the first time in many years.
    Pulling up out of a binge is hard but you know you can do it, cause you have done it before.
    Try just eating 3 meals a day and nothing in between and eat whatever you want at meal times.
    I find this often helps me out.
    Perhaps you could journal some of your feelings, or share them with a friend, try and find the source of the emotions, naming them often takes away the power.
    Whenever I get those 'and whats the next thing I stuff in my mouth' thoughts I try and do something else - I often say to myself "I want to eat everything in the world, everything in the supermarket" and its sounds so ludicrous I can laugh sometimes and realise that there just isn't enough room in my stomach for all the food I think I need.
  • OceanBlue17
    Options
    I am new also to this group and mfp. I realized yesterday that I tend to binge eat when no one is around. So when I feel a binge coming on I try to spend time with someone. Family, friends, you name it. Even to get out in public somewhere is good too. Walk the mall, hit the bookstore, library, wherever. Planning meals is helping too. If I really want something I plan to eat it with my next meal, which might only be 40 minutes away. If I can wait it out, I usually won't eat it.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hey sweety!
    It's ok you only have to work on that! slowly find the triggers what are the strongers one and how you react upon them, if you feel like its too much you can always consult an expert for a more informative opinion, but if no you can always find a hobby, a long lost passion, etc.
    Maybe if you are into painting or dancing it can help cope with the feelings, whatever the hobby or the passion is (from knitting to paintball battles srly) it can help.
    I have troubles all the time when I'm not with my hands or my mind busy.
    Or stuff yourself in fruits like papaya, pineapple, tangerines, strawberries... they are good for you taste great and even binging on them doesn't have the same impact as an M&M's bag. ;)
  • daniellekristy3
    daniellekristy3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been working with a therapist on emotional eating for a few months, and here are some tips she shared with me:

1. Make a list of things that are calming and comforting other than eating. Write it down in a place where it is easily accessible. This could be reading a book, watching a favorite show, calling a friend, taking a bath, etc. Reference the list when you feel the urge and pick something more productive to do.
    2. Find a buddy. Your college friend may no longer be physically present, but if you're comfortable sharing your struggle with her (or an other friend or family member), let her know what you're going through. When you feel the urge to eat emotionally, send her a text that you're struggling. Just writing it down may help you decide not to eat, but if your friend is able to respond with an encouraging word that's even better.
    3. Journal your feelings when you're emotional. This is both distracting and therapeutic.

I highly recommend working with a therapist if that's an option for you. It might seem like a drastic measure if you don't have experience or familiarity with therapy, but a good therapist can help you work on coping methods and overcome the issues that lead to emotional eating. If that's not an option, I think all the ideas everyone shared are a great place to start!