any comments/advice on this workout?

Options
TomfromNY
TomfromNY Posts: 100 Member
I'm 10 days into keto, went from 212->202 (a lot of water weight I'm sure) and have 20 to go.

For my workouts, I want to do some cardio for fat burning, while at the same time I want to preserve muscle mass.

I've been working out 4-5 days per week, alternating workouts

Workout 1 - I do about an hour on the elliptical (2 minutes hard, 1 minute rest), but take 3 5-minute breaks to do some upper body weights (2 sets each, about 8 reps)
- Shoulder press (barbell)
- Fly machine
- Dips
- Barbell curls

Workout 2
- Do 15 minutes elliptical
- Do Squats (a few warmup sets and 3 work sets of 5 reps) - today I did 165
- Do Deadlifts (4 sets of 5 reps, with increasing weights) - today I did 135, 150, 160, 175
- 3 sets of chinups to failure (today I did 6, 5, and 4)
- Do another 15-30 minutes of elliptical
On this I plan on increasing the squats/deadlifts by 5 pounds a workout for at least a few weeks (before keto I was in the mid-200s on those lifts but its been a while)

Any thoughts on this? I'm trying to keep my diet at about 25-40gms carbs, 130gms protein, and 2100 calories. I haven't consistently done keto and tried working out at the same time so open to any advice.

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    As far as the lifting it looks like you are missing middle back work, maybe add bent back rows.
    The amount of cardio you can do will depend on your cals and energy level. Losing weight is about a cal deficit so cardio is unnecessary. If you are doing the cardio because you enjoy it or have a cardiovascular goal just make sure you have the cals you need to keep your energy up.
  • TomfromNY
    Options
    As far as the lifting it looks like you are missing middle back work, maybe add bent back rows.
    The amount of cardio you can do will depend on your cals and energy level. Losing weight is about a cal deficit so cardio is unnecessary. If you are doing the cardio because you enjoy it or have a cardiovascular goal just make sure you have the cals you need to keep your energy up.

Thanks for the row idea

Understand the idea of a cal deficit and that you don't necessarily need cardio for weight loss. However if I am in ketosis and maintaining 2100 calories/day, wouldn't I lose body fat more rapidly if I burned an extra 300 a day via cardio vs. not doing cardio at all? When you say 'make sure you have the cals', I'm hoping to use all of the cals trapped in my belly fat :)
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Thanks for the row idea

Understand the idea of a cal deficit and that you don't necessarily need cardio for weight loss. However if I am in ketosis and maintaining 2100 calories/day, wouldn't I lose body fat more rapidly if I burned an extra 300 a day via cardio vs. not doing cardio at all? When you say 'make sure you have the cals', I'm hoping to use all of the cals trapped in my belly fat :)
    Recommended fat loss when trying to also conserve muscle mass is 1%a week. I don't know your bf% but with only 9 lbs to lose I would suggest no more than a .5Lb loss a week. That is a daily cal deficit of only 250-300 cals. Going lower than that may increase the amount of muscle you lose. It is up to you.
  • TomfromNY
    Options

Thanks for the row idea

Recommended fat loss when trying to also conserve muscle mass is 1%a week. I don't know your bf% but with only 9 lbs to lose I would suggest no more than a .5Lb loss a week. That is a daily cal deficit of only 250-300 cals. Going lower than that may increase the amount of muscle you lose. It is up to you.

Thanks for the info. I actually have 20 pounds to go (202->182) and I'm probably around 27-28% body fat.

When you say 1% a week, what does that mean -
    - 1% of body weight - 2 pounds
    - 1% of fat weight (if I am 200 pounds at 27% body fat, I have 54 pounds of fat - I should lose .54 pounds of fat?
    - 1% of fat percentage - I can go from 27% body fat to 26% body fat - would need to lose about 2 pounds of fat?
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Thanks for the row idea

Thanks for the info. I actually have 20 pounds to go (202->182) and I'm probably around 27-28% body fat.

- 1% of fat weight (if I am 200 pounds at 27% body fat, I have 54 pounds of fat - I should lose .54 pounds of fat?
    - 1% of fat percentage - I can go from 27% body fat to 26% body fat - would need to lose about 2 pounds of fat?
    1% of fat percentage is the max recommended.
    1% of fat weight is optimal to conserve muscle.
  • TomfromNY
    Options

Thanks for the row idea

1% of fat percentage is the max recommended.
    1% of fat weight is optimal to conserve muscle.

Thanks!