Dealing with Food Cravings

Options
Sometimes I get "cravings" for a specific food and I can honestly say it usually isn't in the vegetable category! Does this happen to you? If so, how do you handle it? Do you have a little taste to get that craving out of your system? Ignore it and hope it goes away? Have a lower calorie substitute?

Replies

• 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Up to using mfp I had cravings for chocolate that I just couldn't ignore. It took more than one bar to get rid of the craving. Hence I put weight on.

After joining mfp and making sure my macros were right I do not get very many cravings now. If I do it is no more than 'Oh I fancy some chocolate' but I can ignore it and don't have to go and eat loads of it or anything else for that matter.

I cannot keep it in the house though. If it was there I would probably eat it just because I could and not because I wanted it. Then I would regret it. If I decide to have a treat (nothing to do with craving it) I make myself walk into town for it and as this is a 2 mile round trip and all up hill going, I have burnt the calories off before I eat them.

I think for me it was just a matter of getting my macros right.
  • tiffd1000
    Options
    I sometimes eat it in moderation.. but for example the other day I wanted something sweet... I just ate a grapefruit instead and I was fine. ... I am almost certain the "Visit" is coming soon bc the sweets cravings (which I never had on Birth Control) are violent this week. LOL
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater so the craving's source is typically internal and does not want to be quelled by other, healthier foods. If everyday were stress free, I'm certain I would still be the skinny kid I used to be. The only thing that works for me is distraction. I must find something else to do until the craving becomes manageable. Often, this involves moving around; doing something physical around the house often puts me in touch with my stomach and I realize I am not hungry for food at all. If I can accomplish some task from my to-do list, then I get to feel satisfaction from a deed well done and, if I am lucky, I no longer feel the craving to satisfy myself through eating.
  • LovemyTysonboy
    Options
    Ohhh I get cravings for ice cream and chocolate. This is why I don't keep them in our house. If it's a special occasion and I've been good on my eating then I will indulge if we are in a restaurant. You can't deprive yourself all the time or you'll give up, just treat yourself every now and then and it will work out.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Being removed from my "natural" environment the past 5 months has helped me see how I sometimes use food to avoid dealing with my feelings, whether it's from anxiety or anger or too much going on. I know I eat to avoid dealing with feelings in a particular relationship. But the awareness has helped me make different choices. I still can't (shouldn't for my own good) have ice cream or chips in the house. Old habits are hard to break!