Protein Powder

Options
kwaz29
kwaz29 Posts: 190 Member
Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using protein powder on a pale/primal diet? Is it necessary? When do you use it?

Is there a paleo protein powder that you would recommend?

I've never used protein powder before, but not sure if it is something I should try, just want to get people's insight/advice! In case it's relevant, I do crossfit 4-5 times a week, and either run, spin, hike, or snowboard the other days, so pretty active.

Thank you!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    No, protein powder is not "necessary" nor do I think it's beneficial for most people. Still a processed food to some degree or another. The fact that you are very active might make it ok, but real food is preferable.

There are 2 kinds that I think are good enough to put in my child's smoothies:

1. Dr. Mercola Miracle whey unflavoured (from grass-fed cows)
    2. St. Francis Herb Farm Mineral Matrix goat whey

Both are expensive but I haven't found anything else that I would be willing to use. I actually haven't tried #2 yet because I only just discovered it. It will be the next one I order for my little one's smoothies. I would tend to prefer goat whey over cow whey but I'll be better able to speak to flavour etc after my child tries it of course.
  • kwaz29
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Is the purpose of it really just to help meet your protein macros? I usually hit my goal so I didn't know if it actually helped with athletic performance or anything like that, or if it just helps reach your protein goals.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Thanks for your input! Is the purpose of it really just to help meet your protein macros? I usually hit my goal so I didn't know if it actually helped with athletic performance or anything like that, or if it just helps reach your protein goals.

I have trouble getting my child to eat adequate protein (she mostly wants fruits and veggies and other carby stuff, very little protein and fat- except she likes cured bacon and ham omg) so that's why I put whey in her smoothies. I don't think it's ideal but grass-fed whey is acceptable. For now.

I don't use it at all. When I first came to MFP I was doing a lot wrong and I was having a protein shake in the morning. For that short time it probably helped me get through the initial shock of changing my lifestyle drastically, but when I no longer needed them and realized they weren't beneficial, I stopped. I hit my protein macros with just regular food now; some days I'm low, some days I'm higher so it works out. It wouldn't be hard at all for me to increase protein just by eating more meat, but I actually come from the high fat, moderate protein, low carb mentality. If my body seems to need more protein, I have more; I don't really have to worry about the protein at all. But the carbs; that's another story.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I have trouble getting my child to eat adequate protein (she mostly wants fruits and veggies and other carby stuff, very little protein and fat- except she likes cured bacon and ham omg) so that's why I put whey in her smoothies. I don't think it's ideal but grass-fed whey is acceptable. For now.

I don't use it at all. When I first came to MFP I was doing a lot wrong and I was having a protein shake in the morning. For that short time it probably helped me get through the initial shock of changing my lifestyle drastically, but when I no longer needed them and realized they weren't beneficial, I stopped. I hit my protein macros with just regular food now; some days I'm low, some days I'm higher so it works out. It wouldn't be hard at all for me to increase protein just by eating more meat, but I actually come from the high fat, moderate protein, low carb mentality. If my body seems to need more protein, I have more; I don't really have to worry about the protein at all. But the carbs; that's another story.

This. Protein powder is just generally for hitting protein goals (and that's where it "helps athletic performance," because many people don't get enough protein). Beyond that, there's not much point for it if you're meeting your goal with real food.

If you decide to get it and can't get your hands on the ones Akima mentioned (or equally comparable ones) for whatever reason, make sure to look at the ingredient label. Try to get one that's not sweetened or sweetened with Stevia, whey isolate (if you get whey; isolate doesn't have the lactose or casein), doesn't contain soy, and has a minimal ingredient list. I personally like the Jay Robb brand.
  • kwaz29
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up for me everybody! I try to stick to a LCHF diet, and i usually hit or go over my protein, so I don't think I'll be getting any powder for now, but it's good to know I'm not really missing out!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My macro target is over 200g of protein a day. I find it much, much easier to get there with a protein shake. Otherwise the volume of food I have to eat gets to be a bit much.

I use Isopure Low Carb mainly because it readily dissolves in water with simple stirring.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    My macro target is over 200g of protein a day. I find it much, much easier to get there with a protein shake. Otherwise the volume of food I have to eat gets to be a bit much.

I use Isopure Low Carb mainly because it readily dissolves in water with simple stirring.

Not being "mean" but clarifying because this is a Primal/Paleo forum:

I recently looked this brand of beverages and powders up and there are often: maltodextrin (sometimes the 2nd ingredient), "natural and artificial flavors" (which means stuff that the manufacturer doesn't want to honestly disclose), soy lecithin, artificial sweeteners (acesulfame K, and sucralose aka Splenda-no not "just like sugar"). Different products have different ingredients and unfortunately on the Isopure home site they don't seem to list their ingredients, I actually had to try to find the ingredients on other sites that sell their products... hmmm..... I don't like companies that aren't transparent about their products.

Not grass-fed and enough stuff in it to not be considered "food" imo.

Additionally, there are very few people that would need anywhere near 200grams of protein daily and certainly not women. Perhaps Bostonwolf is bodybuilding?
  • FitToLead
    FitToLead Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    What a great thread guys. I found it useful. Makes me realise I need to simply eat more - food in general- and protein in particular, I am on moderate protein macros - and never meet my daily goals. Actually don;t meet goals in fat either. So.. a shift of focus will be good - while also trying to sort my gut out.

Kwaz29- I look forward to the day I am doing that much exercise.. so keen to start cross fit here in Australia
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't use it every day, but my brand is Whey Natural.

http://www.wheynaturalusa.com/index.html

Grassfed, cold processed, and even their flavored stuff (Vanilla, etc) only has a few ingredients. But IMO their flavored stuff is too sweet, so I stick with plain, which only has one ingredient IIRC.

A bit expensive compared to other whey powders, but I view this as quality over quantity. YMMV.