Ketostix

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
Yesterday morning I used ketostix and tested positive for the first time. This morning I also tested positive. I just tested again and it says I'm not in ketosis now. I haven't changed anything I've eaten so I'm confused. I'm staying under 25 grams of carbs a day. Also, I haven't had keto-breath at all and I haven't noticed a change of smell in my urine (although I haven't actively tried smelling it too hard). If this is a repetitive question on this forum, I'm sorry, but someone help me understand. Can I be in ketosis without the side effects or can the ketostix be lying to me?

Replies

• EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I never smelled it in urine, and could rarely detect it on my breath. Don't put all THAT much faith in the stix, and don't worry. This can sometimes happen. Since you're new to this, you won't be keto-adapted so no worries there. Try again with the stix later, you'll probably be "purple with ketones." Just keep in mind that they're more for fun, and relax, you're doing just fine.
  • delta229
    delta229 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Keto urine strips are not an accurate way to tell you are in a productive state of Ketosis. When we need to produce Ketone bodies due to lack of Carbs, our bodies produce a "Group" of Ketone acids. There are three. (AcAc, BHB and Acetone) The sticks measure AcAc, which is a "Cast off" acid and appears in the urine stream. The "work" we need done is with BHB acids, detectable only with a meter and strips. Many people, including myself, show very erratic correlations between the strips and a meter. The amount of water you consume and when you use the urine strips also affect the readings. If would like to know more, stop by and visit me.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Get your free meter here Precision Xtra meter here.

https://www.choosefreestyle.com

But 10 blood Keto scripts are going to cost you 25$ if you order from Canada online or about 50-60$ for 10 strips on amazon.

I did use initially but now I know when I am in Ketosis or not with out the strips.
  • blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What delta229 says is true, ketostix are not an accurate way to measure ketosis, and the precision xtra meter posted is what I use., as well. I buy them in online from canada 50 at a time for about 100 and measure once a day in the morning, most days anyway.
  • spicekat77
    Options

But 10 blood Keto scripts are going to cost you 25$ if you order from Canada online or about 50-60$ for 10 strips on amazon.

I did use initially but now I know when I am in Ketosis or not with out the strips.

I ordered this last week, but I didn't hear anything from them. So I thought I wasn't going to get one and I was about to order one from Amazon. But it just showed up today!!!! So cool!!!

Thanks for the link fattyman007!!!!!!!

Anita
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    You are welcome. It takes 7-10 days. Also, there aren't any ketone strips in the box. You need to order them online.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!
  • spicekat77
    Options
    You are welcome. It takes 7-10 days. Also, there aren't any ketone strips in the box. You need to order them online.

I did order some from Amazon because I'm a Prime member and can get them by tomorrow. But from now I will order them from Universal Drugstore (much cheaper)!!!

Thanks again!!!

Anita
  • JennWeighZen
    JennWeighZen Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow -- thanks for that link! :flowerforyou: My health insurance company wasn't listed so I just picked a random one... hope that's just for data purposes.

Will be ordering my ketone strips now...
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Wow -- thanks for that link! :flowerforyou: My health insurance company wasn't listed so I just picked a random one... hope that's just for data purposes.

Will be ordering my ketone strips now...

Holy crap….I really did get it. i just got mine delivered today! My insurance company also wasn't listed and I still got mine!
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Darn, I wish I could order them in Europe :ohwell:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Just a question. You said you no longer have to test, you just "know" when you're in ketosis. How do you know??
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I can't get over the cost of the Ketone strips. And I got mine for $25 for 10 at my drugstore. They are like little strips of gold. lol
  • smkean
    smkean Posts: 132
    Options

This is great! Where can i get one if i live in the UK?
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For any Canadians looking for Keto blood meter sticks, check Costco. I just found them for $21.99 for a box of 10