8 Years Post Op and In Need of Tips

Hi all!

I am 8 years post op and am maintain a 145 lbs weight loss. I find myself still in old habits and was hoping that I could get tips from newbies to help me out.

I am not chewing food properly. I chew on the run, fast, and gulp....like the old days. This will usually cause me pain and sickness.

How do you manage chewing properly?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• izzane
    izzane Posts: 6 Member
    Hi, i'm 5 years post op and i have learnt to sit down and calmly eat my food and take smaller bites, if i don't have time to sit down i use a protein shake that fills me up
  • MaggyMaizy2
    MaggyMaizy2 Posts: 148 Member
    Hi, i'm 5 years post op and i have learnt to sit down and calmly eat my food and take smaller bites, if i don't have time to sit down i use a protein shake that fills me up

Yes, this!! I am almost 19 months post-RNY and I have found (painfully!) that I cannot rush my meals. If I don't have the time, I take a Quest bar or a WonderSlim shake with me.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    One thing that was introduced to me was the 30/30 rule. My medical posse is very insistent on me using it, and when I can remember to do it, it really helps. Basically, the idea is this. Take 30 minutes to eat your meal, then drink nothing after it for 30 minutes.

Now, I'll admit. I have my surgery in Sept of 2012, and I've gotten bad about the taking 30 minutes to eat part. I've been working on trying to get back to it. I never mix liquids and solids, unless soup is part of my meal. I concentrate on chewing eat bite into a consistency of something like applesauce and making sure that I put down my fork between bites. If you are like me, you'll find that while you are chewing, you'll tend to load up your fork, for the next bite.

The explained to me that it was important to take 30 minutes to eat, because it can take 20 minutes for the "full" signal to reach your brain from your stomach/pouch. So, eating too fast can really cause you to be in a great deal of pain. If you do get into pain from either something getting stuck, or eating too much, try taking some papaya enzyme. It will usually have me cleared up in about 10 minutes after taking it.

Another suggestion that I've heard is that you only give yourself half a portion, then when done eating it, wait a few minutes, then get back up and get the other half. That way it gives it some time to settle.