Vegetarian Diet for a Strength Training Newbie

Options
I recently started doing strength training. I did hire a trainer at the gym who helps me 2 times a week and the other days I follow suit. I have always been skinny fat. I do not get on the weighing scale daily because I am such a yoyo but I hover between 121 and 125 pounds any given day. I have no definition absolutely, butterfly wings, saddle bags you name it I got it. I only look good in my jeans and tops :(. Being a vegetarian, I do think I am a clean eater over all (no chips, soda, sugar, etc.) for me and I cook most my meals at home. However, I think I do not get enough calories (1200 at the most) and definitely not the right balance of protein/carbohydrates. I will be honest, fear of gaining weight (which i had recently when I went up 135, still on the same diet but I lost due to doing lots of Zumba) I am scared to up my calories, though I know that is the way to go. Any help I can get from you guys on how to go about upping my calories in a sensible manner, so that I can get adequate protein as I embark my strength training journey will be very helpful. I am a total newbie, so any tip is helpful - when to eat, how to eat, what to eat, and even what to do etc., in terms of routines. Thanks in advance to all those who are going to respond, you will be doing a great help to me! :)

Replies

• UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey Monaco... I'm not in the same boat as you, but I think we need to find a middle ground with each other. I weigh 129 now, cut from 136 or so on this diet.

Currently I eat meat and a ton of it. I consume 1450 calories a day. 145 g of protein, 110 g of carbs, and like 45 g of fat. Those are estimates because I'm just typing this and not flipping back to my diary. Anyway, I primarily get that from eating plenty of meat, however, I am looking to become vegetarian because lately I've become overwhelmed with nausea before eating thinking about the animals getting their throats cut open (call me crazy, but in a butcher shop, this is hard not to do when you are surrounded by meat hooks, saws, and taxidermy while ordering a burger).

ANYWAY back to the topic. Check out my diary if you'd like. I eat whatever I want generally as long as I can fit it into my macros. I've learned what works and doesn't... I've learned substitutions for things I want to consume but would screw up my macros for the day.

My suggestion to you is straight up increase your protein intake and lower your carbs.

Do this by consuming soy proteins (soy milk, soy beans, tofu, etc.), protein powder (whatever source you feel comfortable with), beans, nuts, vegetables, etc. Start reading labels and find sources where you can get more protein in a meal than carbs. There are a ton of soy substitute products like soybean spaghetti. Add in beans to sauces, etc. I eat a sour cream made with no fat, and more protein than carbs. I have a protein shake (VERY IMPORTANT) first thing every morning to get a bomb of protein. This is from protein powder, mangos, soy beans, and raw egg whites.
  • marylorrainecox
    marylorrainecox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor before using soy. Fermented soy is the only thing a non-menopausal woman should consume.

Garden for Life has some great protein powders that are vegan with sprouted grains. Those might be good options to supplement your protein needs.

Beans and quinoa are also great sources.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    Don't talk to a doctor about nutrition - they know nothing. Talk to a nutritionist if you must, but just know that this whole anti-soy movement is seriously overblown.
  • Hazelnut79
    Hazelnut79 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Monaco, I'm vegetarian as well (lacto-ovo). If you eat eggs and dairy, you should be able to get around 100 grams of protein a day with just a little bit of focus on it. Ideally I'd get more, but I find eating pretty monotonous if I'm trying to getting to much more than that because I haven't found a large enough range of protein options. I eat a lot of cottage cheese for breakfast, drink protein shakes (frozen raspberries, 1/2 banana, milk, scoop optimum nutrition double rich chocolate whey isolate protein, 1% milk and a splash of vanilla), and also eat quite a bit of soy (though I try to avoid the super duper processed fake meats). Tonight for example, I sliced a block of tofu into half inch slices, sprinkled the slices on each side with a cajun spice mix and rubbed it in a bit, and baked it until it was starting to get pretty dry and had a nice texture. Then I dipped it in 2% greek yogurt (also high in protein) that had a mix of turmeric, coriander powder, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice added to it. This meal in itself had over 60 grams of protein.

Anyway, staples include cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein shakes, tofu, and also some other cheeses and soy products. Things you hear about as traditional sources of protein for vegetarians like beans and quinoa can be good too, but are a lot more carb heavy than I originally thought. Not that they're bad for you, but I've had to cut down on them a bit and substitute them with protein options that had fewer carbs in order to meet both my protein and calorie goals.

Also, just as a note - I eat about 1800 calories a day and do heavy weight lifting mixed with circuit training (still with relatively heavy weights) 3 days a week for about an hour on average, and I am still losing ~ half a pound a week. And those 1800 calories are net calories (e.g. if I burn 500 calories at the gym I actually eat 1800+500 = 2300).
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    This was posted in the Eat, Train, Progress group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources. Should help you out.
  • monaco9
    monaco9 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks!!! I am gonna check out your diary... I do a lot of greek yogurt, and soy too, but I don't know, I am doing something wrong. What, I have to find out and am sure your diary might be an insight.
    Hey Monaco... I'm not in the same boat as you, but I think we need to find a middle ground with each other. I weigh 129 now, cut from 136 or so on this diet.

Currently I eat meat and a ton of it. I consume 1450 calories a day. 145 g of protein, 110 g of carbs, and like 45 g of fat. Those are estimates because I'm just typing this and not flipping back to my diary. Anyway, I primarily get that from eating plenty of meat, however, I am looking to become vegetarian because lately I've become overwhelmed with nausea before eating thinking about the animals getting their throats cut open (call me crazy, but in a butcher shop, this is hard not to do when you are surrounded by meat hooks, saws, and taxidermy while ordering a burger).

ANYWAY back to the topic. Check out my diary if you'd like. I eat whatever I want generally as long as I can fit it into my macros. I've learned what works and doesn't... I've learned substitutions for things I want to consume but would screw up my macros for the day.

My suggestion to you is straight up increase your protein intake and lower your carbs.

Do this by consuming soy proteins (soy milk, soy beans, tofu, etc.), protein powder (whatever source you feel comfortable with), beans, nuts, vegetables, etc. Start reading labels and find sources where you can get more protein in a meal than carbs. There are a ton of soy substitute products like soybean spaghetti. Add in beans to sauces, etc. I eat a sour cream made with no fat, and more protein than carbs. I have a protein shake (VERY IMPORTANT) first thing every morning to get a bomb of protein. This is from protein powder, mangos, soy beans, and raw egg whites.
  • monaco9
    Options
    My doctor has not had any issues with soy, he also recommends tempeh (the taste of which i absolutely hate). But I have read about the side effects of soy. Will def. check out the protien powders you mention. Thanks. :)

Just got myself a bag of quinoa.... :)
    Talk to your doctor before using soy. Fermented soy is the only thing a non-menopausal woman should consume.

Garden for Life has some great protein powders that are vegan with sprouted grains. Those might be good options to supplement your protein needs.

Beans and quinoa are also great sources.
  • monaco9
    Options
    Don't talk to a doctor about nutrition - they know nothing. Talk to a nutritionist if you must, but just know that this whole anti-soy movement is seriously overblown.

Have been trying to read up on it, thanks for your input!
  • monaco9
    Options
    Wow!

You are quite an inspiration. I wish I can eat that much and still lose.I think I have become obsessed with it... I am going to use your feedback and see if I can up my game. I dont do heavy lifting, so may be thats another area i should work on.
    Hi Monaco, I'm vegetarian as well (lacto-ovo). If you eat eggs and dairy, you should be able to get around 100 grams of protein a day with just a little bit of focus on it. Ideally I'd get more, but I find eating pretty monotonous if I'm trying to getting to much more than that because I haven't found a large enough range of protein options. I eat a lot of cottage cheese for breakfast, drink protein shakes (frozen raspberries, 1/2 banana, milk, scoop optimum nutrition double rich chocolate whey isolate protein, 1% milk and a splash of vanilla), and also eat quite a bit of soy (though I try to avoid the super duper processed fake meats). Tonight for example, I sliced a block of tofu into half inch slices, sprinkled the slices on each side with a cajun spice mix and rubbed it in a bit, and baked it until it was starting to get pretty dry and had a nice texture. Then I dipped it in 2% greek yogurt (also high in protein) that had a mix of turmeric, coriander powder, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon juice added to it. This meal in itself had over 60 grams of protein.

Anyway, staples include cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein shakes, tofu, and also some other cheeses and soy products. Things you hear about as traditional sources of protein for vegetarians like beans and quinoa can be good too, but are a lot more carb heavy than I originally thought. Not that they're bad for you, but I've had to cut down on them a bit and substitute them with protein options that had fewer carbs in order to meet both my protein and calorie goals.

Also, just as a note - I eat about 1800 calories a day and do heavy weight lifting mixed with circuit training (still with relatively heavy weights) 3 days a week for about an hour on average, and I am still losing ~ half a pound a week. And those 1800 calories are net calories (e.g. if I burn 500 calories at the gym I actually eat 1800+500 = 2300).
  • monaco9
    Options
    Btw, Thanks for the detailed feedback. Really helfpul :)
    Wow!

You are quite an inspiration. I wish I can eat that much and still lose.I think I have become obsessed with it... I am going to use your feedback and see if I can up my game. I dont do heavy lifting, so may be thats another area i should work on.

• monaco9
    Options
    This was posted in the Eat, Train, Progress group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources. Should help you out.

Cool source. thanks for sharing.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I eat a ton of meat now - not a lot of dairy tho - but was a vegetarian for many years. Do you eat eggs? Eggs have a nice satisfying combo of protein and fat. Its easy to mix in veggies with eggs. We also eat a lot of scrambled tofu in our house. Is tofu considered fermented? I can never remember. But again, I mix it with lots and lots of non-starchy veggies for a lower carb protein-rific meal. If you don't eat dairy tofu is a good source of calcium too.

Okay also nuts! A few raw almonds can be such a nice, satisfying snack - protein, fat, calories and calcium.

Also, greens have more protein than folks realize. I am glad I was a vegetarian for as long as I was and got into the habit of eating large quantities of cooked greens. So yummy and good for you.
  • monaco9
    Options
    I haven't eaten eggs but am now leaning towards beginning to. I love your idea of mixing them with veggies... I am so glad I ask the question here, because I got such terrific responses.Thank you so much!!!
    I eat a ton of meat now - not a lot of dairy tho - but was a vegetarian for many years. Do you eat eggs? Eggs have a nice satisfying combo of protein and fat. Its easy to mix in veggies with eggs. We also eat a lot of scrambled tofu in our house. Is tofu considered fermented? I can never remember. But again, I mix it with lots and lots of non-starchy veggies for a lower carb protein-rific meal. If you don't eat dairy tofu is a good source of calcium too.

Okay also nuts! A few raw almonds can be such a nice, satisfying snack - protein, fat, calories and calcium.

Also, greens have more protein than folks realize. I am glad I was a vegetarian for as long as I was and got into the habit of eating large quantities of cooked greens. So yummy and good for you.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    While I occasionally eat meat/fish, about 95% of the time I eat vegetarian, and never have trouble with protein. BUT I'm getting a lot more calories than you! Maintenance for me is around 2000/day, plus extra if I hit the gym. So even on a weight loss plan I'm eating quite a bit.

You're going to have to add some calories to get the protein you're looking for, but there are a lot of good vegetarian food options. Have you tried stuff like beans (great on rice or in burritos), eggs, and nuts? You can easily toss a handful of nuts in a bowl of oatmeal or have a boiled egg on top of your salad. Legumes are great for main dishes, and don't forget that grains can have protein too! Try substituting quinoa for rice, things like that. Or sauteing tofu with some onions to mix with your other veggies. And remember that calories aren't evil :)