Ed Coan's deadlift program.

Options
tattygun
tattygun Posts: 447 Member
Going to be starting this on Friday...

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/3279/articles/ed-coan-deadlift-routine

Has anyone followed it before and how did you find it? This will be the first time I've followed any program so and tips would be good! I'm not fresh to the gym though, by the chart on that site I'm between intermediate and advanced with my current numbers, I've just started to stall with progression and it's time to admit I need a program to progress further.

I take it I do this once a week and I can continue to bench and squat on other days in the week?

Cheers

Replies

• scooterjay_wwis
    scooterjay_wwis Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of trying the StrongLifts 5x5 workout?
    I have found this program to help me with less Stalling.
    the program can be found at stronglifts.com
  • tattygun
    Options
    Have you thought of trying the StrongLifts 5x5 workout?
    I have found this program to help me with less Stalling.
    the program can be found at stronglifts.com

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of stronglifts yeah but it's quite similar to what I already do, so I'm not sure it would benefit me? Yes I don't follow a program but I do follow a rough training philosophy and that is I have a leg day, push day and pull day, based around the squat, bench and deadlift respectively. My working sets are heavy with low reps. I cycle between 5x/3x/singles. I add accessory work to tackle any current weaknesses and add 2 movements for hypertrophy. See Mike O'hearns powerbuilding series for a rough idea of what I do (still stuck between powerlifting and bodybuilding so this suits me perfectly)
    This has worked really well for me thus far and still does with my bench and squat just my deadlift has stalled. The stronglifts routine seems better suited to a beginner or lifter who's training basis has been on rep work am I right in thinking?
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've run this program twice. The first time I went from 285 to 315 pull at 135 bw. The second time was recently. I ended up at 305 at a 123bw. I'd cut weight to drop weight classes so although 305 is lower, based on bw it's actually a better lift :)

It isn't a program you run back to back. I'd run it once a year. It's a pretty draining program. You are right that you only run it once each week. Try it and see if you like it
  • tattygun
    Options
    Thanks Julie! The first time you got a 30lb increase, did that match what you estimated you'd lift? I currently pull 200kg (on a good day, I can't always lock it, hence why I'm here!) Do you think if I aimed for 210kg that would be about right or too conservative? What I really want is 220kg (5 plates aside, be soooo happy to pull 5 plates! Lol)

Impressive lifts btw!
  • juliewatkin
    Options
    Thanks Julie! The first time you got a 30lb increase, did that match what you estimated you'd lift? I currently pull 200kg (on a good day, I can't always lock it, hence why I'm here!) Do you think if I aimed for 210kg that would be about right or too conservative? What I really want is 220kg (5 plates aside, be soooo happy to pull 5 plates! Lol)

Impressive lifts btw!

Oddly, I was mostly training it the first time in suit bottoms because I'm an equipped lifter and was just fooling around one day and pulled 315 unequipped without a belt and then did it again with a belt.

When I read through the program write up they suggest 30lbs to be a good average for an increase.
  • tattygun
    Options
    Well I think I'll go with that, aim for 215kg. If I manage it easily I can always have a crack at 220. Thanks for the advice.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    What are your numbers at currently for the big 3?

Are you training for anything in particular or just trying to hit a deadlift goal?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow.

I'd love to add 30 lbs to my DL. I've been progressing slowly and not really doing anything intentional to fix it so I'm in the market for new ideas.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm in for this discussion too.
  • tattygun
    Options

Are you training for anything in particular or just trying to hit a deadlift goal?

I've benched 150kg but that was after a set of 140x8 so I imagine I could do more if I went low reps. I come from a predominantly bodybuilding background and the move towards out and out strength has been a recent thing, hence the high reps.
    Squat is 220kg. Deadlift is 200kg. I know most people have a much better dead than squat. I did meet a fairly high ranked natural strongman who reckoned that because I have a long torso but short legs it puts me at a disadvantage with deadlifts.

And I'm just trying to hit a deadlift goal, I had a goal last year of doing 5 plates aside but obviously it didn't happen! I want to put thatright. I would like to compete at some point in the future too.
  • DYELB
    Options

I've benched 150kg but that was after a set of 140x8 so I imagine I could do more if I went low reps. I come from a predominantly bodybuilding background and the move towards out and out strength has been a recent thing, hence the high reps.
    Squat is 220kg. Deadlift is 200kg. I know most people have a much better dead than squat. I did meet a fairly high ranked natural strongman who reckoned that because I have a long torso but short legs it puts me at a disadvantage with deadlifts.

And I'm just trying to hit a deadlift goal, I had a goal last year of doing 5 plates aside but obviously it didn't happen! I want to put thatright. I would like to compete at some point in the future too.

My squat was better than my pull for a long time, only recently did it switch.

If you're going for a deadlift goal, one of the big things you might want to consider doing is cutting back on squats some. A lot (not all by any means, but a lot) of elite level guys will squat one week and pull the next when training for a meet. If you're going to be pulling every week, I'd consider doing harder squat variants (fronts, high bar, pause, etc) with bb-style programming a go on your other workout.

The game changes if you're competing because you're peaking in all three lifts at the same time, but it sounds like your first goal is a 5 plate pull, and to do that you should focus on pulling and let squats take a back seat for a bit.

My, $0.02.

Well, that and ignore the tai bo guy saying to give 5x5 a shot when you can total over 550 kgs.
  • juliewatkin
    Options

Generally big benchers are crap deadlifters and vice versa. I haven't heard of short legs being a disadvantage with deadlift, more short arms which are kick *kitten* for bench. My husband and I are a great couple, he's a bencher and I'm a deadlifter. T-rex arms vs. orangutan arms.:smile:
  • tattygun
    Options

If you're going for a deadlift goal, one of the big things you might want to consider doing is cutting back on squats some. A lot (not all by any means, but a lot) of elite level guys will squat one week and pull the next when training for a meet. If you're going to be pulling every week, I'd consider doing harder squat variants (fronts, high bar, pause, etc) with bb-style programming a go on your other workout.

The game changes if you're competing because you're peaking in all three lifts at the same time, but it sounds like your first goal is a 5 plate pull, and to do that you should focus on pulling and let squats take a back seat for a bit.

My, $0.02.

Well, that and ignore the tai bo guy saying to give 5x5 a shot when you can total over 550 kgs.

I did think about switching to front squats because I imagine my hamstrings are going to take some stick with this program! Not done paused squats, watched a video of Klokov doing em, going to go research them now.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.
  • tattygun
    Options

Generally big benchers are crap deadlifters and vice versa. I haven't heard of short legs being a disadvantage with deadlift, more short arms which are kick *kitten* for bench. My husband and I are a great couple, he's a bencher and I'm a deadlifter. T-rex arms vs. orangutan arms.:smile:

Haha! A match made in heaven eh?!

The way the strongman explained it was that had my legs been longer they would compensate for some of the lift over a longer range of motion and that my torso been long meant that a hell of a lot of strain was taken up by my lower back. I think that's right, it made sense at the time anyhow! :laugh: Does having longer arms just mean you don't gave to move the bar as far or is it a mechanical advantage too? I can imagine it's easier to get into position.
  • DYELB
    Options

My, $0.02.

I did think about switching to front squats because I imagine my hamstrings are going to take some stick with this program! Not done paused squats, watched a video of Klokov doing em, going to go research them now.

Thanks for the advice, appreciated.

Pause squats are just stopping for a count in the hole to take away the stretch reflex. Pretty straight forward.

I realize the bolded part wasn't actually english even though it made sense in my head. I was just saying to consider doing rep work with harder squat variations (i.e. less weight) and to save the real heavy stuff for your pulls.
  • tattygun
    Options
    First workout done. Really hammered me, no chance of me squatting all out whilst I'm on this program DYELB!
  • tattygun
    Options
    Just an update to say how's things are going (read not going!) with this program.

About a month before I started this I strained my left hip flexor stretching. Although I couldn't feel it happening my body started to compensate for this, I wasn't distributing power evenly which caused issues elsewhere on the body. I see an osteomyologist weekly who'd set me straight and apart from a few aches and pains I could cope comfortably. I completed week two and had bad pain in my lower back, my spine was out of alignment. It's been set straight again now but the surrounding muscle is still very sore I know it's not sensible to carry on at this stage deadlifting and squatting nevermind following the program! So I'll be taking however long it takes to recover and starting again.

So anyway, if you're thinking of following this program then only do so if you're 100%. It's absolutely brutal and if there's anything wrong it will find you out!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just an update to say how's things are going (read not going!) with this program.

About a month before I started this I strained my left hip flexor stretching. Although I couldn't feel it happening my body started to compensate for this, I wasn't distributing power evenly which caused issues elsewhere on the body. I see an osteomyologist weekly who'd set me straight and apart from a few aches and pains I could cope comfortably. I completed week two and had bad pain in my lower back, my spine was out of alignment. It's been set straight again now but the surrounding muscle is still very sore I know it's not sensible to carry on at this stage deadlifting and squatting nevermind following the program! So I'll be taking however long it takes to recover and starting again.

So anyway, if you're thinking of following this program then only do so if you're 100%. It's absolutely brutal and if there's anything wrong it will find you out!

Thanks for the update...(especially since it didn't go as awesomely as planned...these kinds of updates seem to be rare around here...(anyone heard from that suddenly-ultra-running humberstunner guy lately?)).

And good advice for anyone doing any program that is noticeably high(er) volume.