PB?

Options
Gamliela
Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
To eat peanut butter

or not to eat peanut butter.

That is the question.

I noticed on the suggested foods in the info threads that other nuts were
listed. But no nut butters, peanuts or peanut butter.

How do you keto eaters feel about eating PB?

Replies

• quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've seen conflicting opinions on nuts in general. Personally I love peanut butter, so I've started making my own. I roast plain raw peanuts in the oven and then grind them in my food processor with a little sea salt. Nothing else is needed, but a tiny bit of oil can be used to help smooth it out. Its yummy and cheaper than any store bought version especially the so called "natural" ones.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Quiarga,

That sounds sooo good.

The price of organic nothing added peanut butter is staggering

so this would be more a economic way of having it

as well as being in complete control of ingredients (which I really appreciate!).

Thanks for such a good idea.

Do you find it difficult to make carb allowances for your PB in the daily totals, i mean do you think you are giving up
    any important foods to make PB work?

Do you also count calories?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter from roasted peanuts in shell. I am lucky to eat lots of seeds, nuts and still stay in Keto. You need to figure out if your body can stay in ketosis with nuts. I don't count calories and eat when I am hungry and stop when full. Some days I eat 2500 cal and some days I might eat just 1500.
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Quiarga,

That sounds sooo good.

The price of organic nothing added peanut butter is staggering

so this would be more a economic way of having it

as well as being in complete control of ingredients (which I really appreciate!).

Thanks for such a good idea.

Do you find it difficult to make carb allowances for your PB in the daily totals, i mean do you think you are giving up
    any important foods to make PB work?

Do you also count calories?

I only count calories in that MFP tracks them anyway. Most days it says I'm under because of a workout. A couple nights where I was just a little short, I've had a tablespoon of the PB after dinner. It's like a quick little dessert. I've also used it to make three ingredient PB cookies (1 cup of PB, 1 cup of sugar alternative, and 1 egg). Makes 16 cookies at 3 net carbs a cookie. Again its a special treat if I have the room that day.

I so far haven't really had cravings and don't miss the foods I've given up. And I'm not giving up healthier things to make the PB work.

Hope that helps
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I get the no added sugar or salt version. A spoon of it is a great snack. Otherwise I use it in fat bombs.
  • llfretwell
    llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use it in my fat bombs! Yummy!
  • Deuxtrouble43
    Deuxtrouble43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Kraft has an unsweetened, natural peanut butter that I use. I also have almond butter as well.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters are fine on keto! I stick with almonds and almond butter, out of preference. Macadamia nuts and macadamia nut oil is delicious, but a little pricier. I'm not sure I've ever seen macadamia butter, but I'd buy it all up if I ever did.

Nuts are fine, but peanuts, which are legumes rather than nuts, are a little more iffy. They're higher in carb. As long as you're watching your numbers, it should be fine to indulge in some sugar free peanut butters. The organic and natural ones tend to be a bit lower in carbs.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

This is a lot of deliciouse information to keep in mind.

Cool cookies ingredients!

I found a no sugar, no palm oil added peanut butter by Meridian here at a health food stor

which will do fine until i get a food processor and can make my own nut butters.

Looking forward to that. :)