App to track distance

Options
pmur
pmur Posts: 223 Member
I'm using the timed version of C25K app for the iPhone(5K runner). I have no idea about the distance I'm covering or my pace. Does anybody know of an iPhone app that I can use in the background for this? I looked at nike+ but looks like that app has alerts. I don't need any alerts as the 5K runner alerts me during the walk/run switch.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I've used Runkeeper for a while, and it integrates with MFP. I've also been using Endomondo which I prefer slightly.

Alternatives would be runtastic, which I haven't used, or MapMyFitness which I've found very unreliable.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyFitness when I'm on my bicycle and sometimes for walking. I've found it to be pretty close to my bicycle computer and other apps. You can customize the alerts.

For running, I use C25K by RunDouble. Even on the time version, it tells you a distance and pace.
  • pmur
    Options
    Thank you both for the suggestions. I though endomondo was a social app. I'll try these.
    I've no clue why the 5k runner does not track pace/distance. Maybe I'll use the run double version for the 10K training.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic :)

For my C25K I use RunDouble and that tracks pace and distance as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I though endomondo was a social app. I'll try these.

Endomondo has much better social integration than most of the others, and is very easy to use even within the service.

I'm now working on 10k and the premium version does pretty dynamic training planning, including periodic testing of your performance to tune the plans. Runkeeper has some social capabilities but it's far more limited and I find the training plans a bit restrictive.

I installed Runtastic to try at one stage but it's heavily modularised so doesn't have the same level of flexibility as the other three. It was straight into fairly aggressive upselling.

They've all got free versions so I'd suggest giving them a try and seeing how it goes.
  • pmur
    Options

They've all got free versions so I'd suggest giving them a try and seeing how it goes.

I'll do that! I'll try out all the free apps and see which ones appeal to me. Also, the iPhone does crazy with certain apps. I'll have to find one that the phone likes.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo on my iPhone and that works well. I bought the $4.99 app because it had some features I wanted that the free version didn't have. Endomondo also has a feature on their website where you can pull up a map & plot out your route in advance. If you save it you can also pull the route up on your phone. It does not give you verbal cues when to turn (missed a turn once and my run ended up being longer than planned) but as I add on distance it's nice to have an idea how far I'm going.