Hamstrings and inner thys

Options
ericagreb
ericagreb Posts: 14 Member
I have been trying to target that area right underneath my butt not my glute but the top of my hamstring and inner thy. Hamstring curls get the belly of the muscle and I love straight leg dead lifts but what else could I do to get that area? add me if you would like to help, i could use it ;)

Replies

• UpperBodyLowerBody
    UpperBodyLowerBody Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    SQUATS
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Squats & Lunges, weighted.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Also GHR and back raises.
    Swiss ball leg curls with bridge.
  • dreamcrusher227
    dreamcrusher227 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Stiff-legged deadlifts are the best way to develop your hamstrings - not to mention core. As a compound exercise that uses your body's largest muscles, it will give you the most bang (increased muscle mass + energy expanded) for your buck (time spent doing it) provided you challenge your muscles by using heavy enough weights and varying sets/reps/rest as necessary. You can refer to http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/ for variations of the deadlift with step by step guidance. Please note that squats and lunges mainly target the quadriceps - not hamstrings.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    From Mark Rippetoe on Squats and hamstrings:

... All styles of squatting tend to make the quads sore, more so than any of the other muscles in the movement. This soreness occurs because the quads are the only knee extensor group, while the hip extensors consist of three muscle groups (hamstrings, glutes, adductors). They comprise more potential muscle mass to spread the work across – if they are trained correctly. And a significant part of the function of the hamstrings is isometric, where the muscle belly exerts force against its tendon attachments but does not change length, which doesn’t produce the soreness that eccentric/concentric work does. Given this anatomical situation, we want to squat in a way that maximizes the use of all the muscle that can potentially be brought into the exercise and thus be strengthened by it. So we need a way to squat that involves the posterior muscle mass, making it operate up to its potential for contributing to strength and power. The low-bar back squat is that way. ...

... The limit of the adductors’ and hamstrings’ extensibility will almost always be below parallel, as defined earlier. The hamstrings’ length do not change that much anyway, since the knees and hips come into flexion together during the descent. Tension builds on the “isometrically” tight hamstrings as they approach the bottom; in this way they control the back angle and contribute to the stretch reflex effect as the rebound occurs. A few people lack sufficient extensibility in the posterior chain muscles, and some people have tight joint capsule ligaments, but not nearly as many people need stretching out as merely need the correct stance, the correct knee position outside the ASIS, and a loud reminder to keep their knees out. ...

To put it simple, you should do squats for your quads AND hamstrings/glutes. Squat properly, squat deep, lift with your rear as you should.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    Actually thinking now, I did pause squats the other day. Pause squats are stopping at the bottom of your squat and holding it for a second. Then you really have to work harder to lift up out of the bottom of the squat. This would be great for hamstrings/glutes.
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Good mornings target the hamstrings and core.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Lunges. I do one with my classes that I call a four way lunge that consistes of a front lunge, side lunge (to the right), reverse lunge, then side lunge (to the left) which is one rep all together. Do a set, then switch legs. Killer!
  • modmom1
    modmom1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions. I also like Nordic hamstring curls and Genie hamstring curls for variety
  • ledzepchica
    ledzepchica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Youtube videos ---- Denise Austin.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you're specifically looking to strengthen your inner thigh (VMO), there are a number of things you can try.

Step-ups, leg presses (machine), lunges can all be done while pointing your toes slightly out
    to help isolate/emphasize the VMO. You can also do squats (regular should-width stance) with toes pointed out. If you try the squats, I would recommend trying them first with no weights or on the Smith machine with the bar only until you feel comfortable with the foot position. Note that once you're comfortable and are ready to use weights, you may have to drop weight from what you regularly use because of the altered foot position and weaker VMO.

You can do pulses on the leg extension and leg press with toes out, too.

Once you do a few reps, you should feel your VMOs. If you don't, you're not working hard enough or your foot position isn't working for you. Either add some weight or experiment with your foot position a bit.

Otherwise, a ball squeeze will help too. Take a light medicine ball sized ball, point your toes IN and grab the ball with your toes, and squeeze. Hold for 30 sec, rest for 30 to 1 min, repeat a few times.

Edited to note that pointed your toes slightly outward will change your balance and also help you work your core stability a bit.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Single leg deadlifts are my favorite hamstring exercise followed by stability ball glute bridges. Good mornings that someone else mentioned are also great for hamstrings. Curtsy lunges for inner thigh. Side leg cable extensions too.