Inconceivably tired

Options
Scarscub
Scarscub Posts: 16 Member
I have been on 60MG of Armour for a little over six weeks: I started on 30MG, which I took for four weeks before increasing to 60MG. Prior to the Armour I was on 75MCG of levothyroxine.

Lab results from 11/11/2013 (still on levothyroxine):
TSH: 0.13
Free T4: 1.92 (0.80-1.90)
Total T3: 77 (80-200)

My latest test results (on 60MG of Armour):
TSH: 0.10
Free T4: 1.33 (0.80-1.90)
Total T3: 113 (80-200)
Free T3: 2.92 (2.00-4.40)

I did not take a tablet before the blood test. After meeting with my doctor to discuss the results, my doctor dismissed my continuing fatigue and my sudden binge eating as the symptoms of depression. After much deliberation I agreed to try the SSRI antidepressant Viibryd, but as of seventeen days into it I stopped, as it was making my fatigue unbearable.

My doctor has, in a roundabout way, suggested he will not increase my Armour. I think my binge eating is the result of being unable to do the things I enjoy, which I cannot do because of my overwhelming fatigue. The vast number of anecdotal reports on the Internet suggest that Free T3 should be in the upper third, or upper quartile of the range, whereas mine falls below midrange.

I am left feeling frustrated and hopeless. I am twenty three, and I need my health back in order. Should I pursue another cause of fatigue, or do I in fact need a higher dose of Armour? I would appreciate any advice to help make a case for myself at my next visit in twelve days.

Replies

• maracuya23
    Options
    Has your doctor checked to make sure you're not deficient in iron, vitamin D, and B12? Being low in any could also cause fatigue by themselves. And you need good levels of all of them to be able to properly convert the T4 in your meds to T3. Worth checking, especially as those deficiencies are common and easy to correct with a good quality multivitamin.

I hope you can get good answers, and find a solution that works for you.
  • xxx4mygirlsxxx
    xxx4mygirlsxxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Looking at your blood results (I would love to have those results btw) I doubt the fatigue is caused by lack of thyroid hormone, like the other person said get your vitamin and iron levels checked. Vitamin B12 deficiency is common in thyroid patients and without B12 your body cant absorb iron. (or something like that, damn my foggy brain). Looking at your bloodtest you are actually borderline hyper. This would explain the hunger. When my TSH drops below 1 I am ravenous lol I wouldn't recommend a higher dose before looking for other causes first. x
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    How long have you been on armour? The switch from Synthroid to armour was rough for me but worth it once I got over the adjustment period. I ditto checking vitamin levels, iron, etc
  • Scarscub
    Options
    I've been on Armour for almost eleven weeks. As for other deficiencies, my iron, B12, vitamin D, ferritin, and folate are all normal.

I want to stop binging, but my body screams for energy and I can't long ignore the abysmal junk food that provides it. Caffeine cannot touch this fatigue.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Binges are often caused by deprivation. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie allowance.

I have Hashimoto's and take 88mcg Synthroid. I'm tired & hungry all the time. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, but you must eat at a deficit. Before MFP, I was rapidly gaining weight. I set my goal realistically (.5 lb. per week), ate at a deficit, and lost really, really slowly (20 lb. in one year). But I did lose.
  • Scarscub
    Options
    I honestly think my binges are a physical symptom, not the result of deprivation. I thought my thyroid levels might still be too low, but it looks like I may have another health problem perpetuating the fatigue.

Editorgrrl, if you're tired and hungry all the time, perhaps your levels could do with improving? How tired are you? I am so tired that I cannot concentrate when reading a book or watching television. I save up all my energy to workout--I can't even manage a job right now. I could never live the rest of my life remaining as tired as I am.

I should add that I have no trouble losing weight. Weight gain was never a symptom of my hypothyroidism. Even before I was on Armour I lost weight at the rate of a pound a week. I realize that I am an aberration, and quite lucky. My biggest, and so far unresolved symptom, is the fatigue. It is a bit crushing, however, to think there is most likely something else wrong with me. =(
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Editorgrrl, if you're tired and hungry all the time, perhaps your levels could do with improving?
    My endo refused to increase my Synthroid dosage last visit because my blood work was "normal." I pushed back and he relented, but I'm expecting more of the same when I see him on Friday.

I want to find a doctor who treats based on symptoms, not just blood tests, but because of my insurance I'd have to see another doctor in the same practice. So I'm giving him another chance. I plan to bring up Cytomel—I was diagnosed a year & a half ago, and he's never mentioned it or Armour. I read about them here in this group.

Have you talked to your GP about possible causes for your fatigue?
  • maracuya23
    Options
    For what it's worth, all my levels of nutrients came back in the normal range. All were the absolute rock bottom of "normal" according to the lab ranges. Supplementing helped me feel enormously better, and my numbers are more midrange now.

It might also be worth trying to give yourself a maintenance break for a few weeks. Easy exercise (not killing it at the gym), eating to maintain instead of lose. It's possible you need some adjustment time for the meds, and exercise and diet stress might be making it tough to adjust. The hunger and exhaustion, and even lowish free T3 could be symptoms of high stress.

I totally empathise with your frustration and wanting to feel better (been there, completely.) Absolutely talk to your doctor about other possible causes of this exhaustion and extreme hunger. If there's something else out of balance, it's worth finding out and working to fix it.
  • Scarscub
    Options
    My endo refused to increase my Synthroid dosage last visit because my blood work was "normal." I pushed back and he relented, but I'm expecting more of the same when I see him on Friday.

I want to find a doctor who treats based on symptoms, not just blood tests, but because of my insurance I'd have to see another doctor in the same practice. So I'm giving him another chance. I plan to bring up Cytomel—I was diagnosed a year & a half ago, and he's never mentioned it or Armour. I read about them here in this group.

That's quite unfortunate. I felt awful on generic Synthroid, and at one point my lab results revealed a large disparity between T4 and T3, which pointed to poor conversion and the need for direct T3. Pushing your endocrinologist for Armour or Cytomel may yield good results for you, and I hope he is patient enough to listen to your reasoning.
    For what it's worth, all my levels of nutrients came back in the normal range. All were the absolute rock bottom of "normal" according to the lab ranges. Supplementing helped me feel enormously better, and my numbers are more midrange now.

It might also be worth trying to give yourself a maintenance break for a few weeks. Easy exercise (not killing it at the gym), eating to maintain instead of lose. It's possible you need some adjustment time for the meds, and exercise and diet stress might be making it tough to adjust. The hunger and exhaustion, and even lowish free T3 could be symptoms of high stress.

I wish this were the case! My levels were all midrange or higher. B12 was ridiculously high (Eggs. Lots of eggs.) And as for calories, I've been eating over maintenance for weeks and have put on six pounds. =(

Have you talked to your GP about possible causes for your fatigue?

I have, but he insists that I am depressed and binge eat to cope, and as a result tries to gild antidepressants that I am strongly against. To his credit, he is ordering an A1c to see if diabetes may be present. He also mentioned a possible sleep study to check for sleep apnoea or nacolepsy. I'm going to see if I can convince him to check for Lyme.

Thank goodness I've already graduated uni. I would've never completed my degree feeling as I do now.
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been on 60MG of Armour for a little over six weeks: I started on 30MG, which I took for four weeks before increasing to 60MG. Prior to the Armour I was on 75MCG of levothyroxine.

Lab results from 11/11/2013 (still on levothyroxine):
    TSH: 0.13
    Free T4: 1.92 (0.80-1.90)
    Total T3: 77 (80-200)

My latest test results (on 60MG of Armour):
    TSH: 0.10
    Free T4: 1.33 (0.80-1.90)
    Total T3: 113 (80-200)
    Free T3: 2.92 (2.00-4.40)

I did not take a tablet before the blood test. After meeting with my doctor to discuss the results, my doctor dismissed my continuing fatigue and my sudden binge eating as the symptoms of depression. After much deliberation I agreed to try the SSRI antidepressant Viibryd, but as of seventeen days into it I stopped, as it was making my fatigue unbearable.

My doctor has, in a roundabout way, suggested he will not increase my Armour. I think my binge eating is the result of being unable to do the things I enjoy, which I cannot do because of my overwhelming fatigue. The vast number of anecdotal reports on the Internet suggest that Free T3 should be in the upper third, or upper quartile of the range, whereas mine falls below midrange.

I am left feeling frustrated and hopeless. I am twenty three, and I need my health back in order. Should I pursue another cause of fatigue, or do I in fact need a higher dose of Armour? I would appreciate any advice to help make a case for myself at my next visit in twelve days.

Most people feel best with their free T3 and free T4 levels in the upper part of the range (IE, closer to 4 for your free T3). You will probably start feeling better when that happens......You need more medicine.
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My endo does not like Armour as she feels the dose is not well controlled. I know some people on this site swear by it. I am on synthroid, brand name, again as she feels the generic in this case is not as good. I also take cytomel (T3 replacement). When I did not take the cytomel I was so tired I slept for 2-3 hours during the day and 8-9 at night. I take cytomel in the A.M. with my synthroid and again at about 1 P.M. Works great. I also binge when I am hypo and when I am hyper also I binge eat. I'm glad you stopped the med for depression, I suspect it is not in your head, but in your thyroid function. I think you need to rethink your thyroid meds and possibly rethink your doctor too while you are at it. Sending a HUG!
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Not sure that I would change your dose either, just yet.
    As you mentioned, checking for Lyme would be good and maybe even Mycoplasma. Both can zap energy.
    After you have explored other options, if you still are not feeling 100%, then I would change dose.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5098425_symptoms-mycoplasma-infection.html

I didn't have all the symptoms at time of diagnosis, but was getting constant sinus infections and had no energy. My test results were 3 times the normal level. None of the other doctors thought to check this. Glad someone finally did.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Options
    Almost forgot! Adrenal fatigue would be another thing to look into.

http://www.drlam.com/articles/adrenal_fatigue.asp

Hope you feel better soon!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My endo does not like Armour as she feels the dose is not well controlled. I know some people on this site swear by it. I am on synthroid, brand name, again as she feels the generic in this case is not as good. I also take cytomel (T3 replacement). When I did not take the cytomel I was so tired I slept for 2-3 hours during the day and 8-9 at night. I take cytomel in the A.M. with my synthroid and again at about 1 P.M. Works great. I also binge when I am hypo and when I am hyper also I binge eat. I'm glad you stopped the med for depression, I suspect it is not in your head, but in your thyroid function. I think you need to rethink your thyroid meds and possibly rethink your doctor too while you are at it. Sending a HUG!

I looked up Cytomel and it mentions one of the reasons you may need it is if you are extremely cold. That is the one symptom no one has mentioned before with thyroid problems. Excessive hair loss, fatigue, and all the rest, but never cold.

Is cold a problem for everyone else?

Here I sit in CA freezing my rear off and I couldn't even imagine being back east. I would die!!
  • shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    hypo can cause you to be very cold.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    is another doctor possible? Anyone who blows off your symptoms needs an attitude adjustment!

I've never taken armour, but never felt totally OK on levoxyl. My doc suggested cytomel--a T3. It made a huge difference for me. And because it's fast acting, you don't have to wait 8 weeks for it to get into your system. The medical community is mixed on this "controversial therapy." (Insert eye roll.) However, there a quite a few legitimate medical studies that show patients on it had an increased quality of life, even though their numbers didn't change much.

When my new doc (I moved, couldn't take the old doc with me) said I didn't need it, I sent her a bunch of article links and she backed off--referring me to an endo who continued it saying he saw no reason to take me off it.

Have you had your iron levels checked? Fatigue is a symptom of anemia.

Medication aside, your diet is very important. I have to be very careful with mine. I feel so much better when I eat healthfully! The binge eating could really be hurting you. When people ask me why I'm not an emotional eater, I tell them, "Why am I going to take a day that was bad for my soul and make things worse by taking it out on my body?" It just doesn't make sense to me. Anymore. It took me a long, LONG time to get here. I have my "cheer up" strategies! :)

When all else fails, I watch an episode of "The walking Dead." Now THERE are some people who definitely have it worse than I do! :)