Keto-adaptation

Options
llfretwell
llfretwell Posts: 218 Member
I've been reading a lot today about ketosis and I've seen where a lot of people said that the actual fat loss doesn't start until a couple weeks into ketosis. I understand that these pounds that I've lost in this first week are probably all water weight, but can I count on the real results starting in a couple of weeks? Is this what "keto-adapted" means?? I have a pretty good general understanding of ketosis so far, but just trying to be clear about everything. I am doing this for fat-loss, so I'm looking forward to it starting!

Replies

• blablues
    blablues Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As it happens, I record my bodyfat % weekly. I lost fat most weeks even before I started nutritional ketosis, but on a calorie restricted low-fat, regular diet. After I got on NK, I pretty much lost fat every week, and more of it, starting with the first week.
  • mccandlessmom
    mccandlessmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Keto-adapted means your body has become efficient at producing and burning ketones for energy rather than glucose/glycogen. I had it explained to me this way:

Imagine your body as a factory that produces tires for cars. Your factory has all the rubber, metal, machines etc. it needs to be very efficient at producing tires. When you switch to a keto diet, you are now asking your factory to make smartphones. It has the capability to do this, but now needs to hire workers trained in smartphone engineering, needs new raw materials, new equipment, and the assembly line will look totally different. It takes a while for your factory to make this switch. Your body is the same. It needs to start creating the hormones, proteins and other goodies to become efficient at ketosis. Also, I heard that your body will produce an excess of ketones until it becomes keto-adapted because it doesn't know how much your body will need to function. That is why the keto-adaption phase can be uncomfortable with all the symptoms for some people.

If you are testing positive for excess ketones (usually tested by a urine test) you are in ketosis and burning fat. Congratulations!
  • llfretwell
    Options
    What a great explanation. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me!! I have definitely been testing positive for ketosis so I guess I'm burning fat!! Thanks!!
  • mccandlessmom
    mccandlessmom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I could help!

I don't know how far you are into keto, or how much you know about it, but I just found out there is a phase about 3-4 weeks after starting keto where your weight stalls for a while. I wish I had known this beforehand so I would be expecting it. I freaked out! If you find you hit this wall, keep going. The weight will start coming off again.
  • llfretwell
    Options
    Okay, great. Thank you!!!! :)