yoga etiquette

Options

Replies

• Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I can't watch the videos cause i'm at work. But I have my own list of yoga ettiquitte things...

I realize it's "your hour, your mat, your money" but please put the cell phone away. Or if you've forgotten to turn it and it rings in your purse in the front of the studio. Just walk up and go turn it off, don't let it ring for 10 rings, sometimes through multiple calls. We know its you. We know you forgot. Just take care of your business as quickly and quietly as possible.

Don't be late, if you're late... I'm of the impression of "that ship has sailed". But no no, there is always that one person, who's late and knocks on the door, comes in and drops their mat on the floor loudly. Suffles their feet around, goes to the bathroom and then joins everyone whenever they're good and ready.

While it's nice to go with friends, it's really not a group activity. giggling, talking, or worse (which I've seen) laughing at people in class ... all make me want to throw my water bottle at you.

I'm curious to find out what other people find irksome in class.
  • KellyUVA
    KellyUVA Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow, where do you guys practice?? My studio would kick you out for any of that. How do you focus/listen to the instructor with all of that going on?
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I practice at a local studio. I think she always wants to make everyone feel welcome.

stuck in traffic? no problem. Just come, you're always welcome (which is an attitude i love, but when i'm getting my calm on, it shatters it like broken mirror).

The phone thing drives me nuts. none of the instructors ever say thing. same with the laughing and talking. I think they feel it will be even more of a distraction if they stop class, break the flow to reprimand a few rude people.

I never had this problem with bikram classes (because the only people who go are people who really want to be there). Mainly with Vinyasa classes, which I think attract more of the "resolutioners" that the op mentioned in the heading... Plus my studio runs a lot of groupons, so people come in to try it with a few buddies and don't take it seriously.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My class people don't like walking on the floor in bare feet so they walk across your mat. There is one lady who complains the whole class about how hard it is. Loudly. And some how always ends up beside me.
  • MatthewNSW
    Options
    My class is generally respectful. The phone-ringing thing rarely happens but on occasion there's a changeover of groups taking place at the back of the room at the same time as those at the front are at savasana. That can be a little noisy but it rarely goes on for too long.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky enough to not have a problem with this. It does sort of irk me when people step on my mat but it's not on purpose and most of the time people appologize. However I've always practiced at a yoga studio, not at the gym (save one time and the smell of feet because people are in and out of the room doing other workouts all day was so overwhelming I almost had to leave). I think chatting before and after class is nice and in Kundalini we even share tea and occasionally snacks afterwards but during, oh heck no!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    As an instructor, the main thing that irks me is when people leave in savasana - I'm ok with them leaving before, but not during. This doesn't happen at the yoga studio, just at the gym where I teach. The phone thing bothers me, but I find most people just go turn it off. I've had mine go off in class too :laugh: Also, if you come in late, that's ok, but don't snap your mat out.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think the only thing that really bothers me is when people come in and they bring all their negative energy with them - like they complain about the music, teacher, etc..sigh really loudly when teachers make them do 'stuff' they don't like and then try to chat you up with all their other complaints about life... after savasana too! seriously? it doesn't happen in the intermediate classes I find... people are much more focused but I've had a more irksome moments in the all-levels classes. Speaking of cell phones, one lady actually brought hers to the mat and left it on vibrate the whole class and would check it every once in a while... hmmm. Otherwise, the people at my studio are pretty respectable and easy-going:)
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I like to think I'm fairly mellow, but a stranger stepping on my mat drives me insane!
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    The one yoga studio I did go to for a beginner series , I had none of these issues! I feel very happy to have had such a good experience. I mainly practice at home now. All of the things mentioned would drive me nuts! Not what you want out of a yoga session :)
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The studio I go to has two rooms. The larger can fit about 28 people, and my favorite class usually gets 20+ people and sometimes maxes out the room.. Some people have favorite spots, and I get that, but what drives me nuts is when there are about 10 or so people who started putting their mats in a pretty tight 4x7 grid so everyone can get a spot without having to shift around a lot, then someone (usually female, usually a college student) comes in and plops her mat not on the grid, so she's taking up multiple spots. It's like parking one of those ridiculous pick up trucks in two spots in a tight parking lot. Then, of course, there is complete obliviousness as more people come in, look around, and try to figure out where to set a mat because a flock of college girls have taken up ten spots for five people, and no one really wants to start yoga class by saying, "Move your mat, can't you see that you're being inconsiderate to people coming in?"

That said, it seems like the studio does a really good job of dealing with the other things in videos, so I can't complain!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I actually went to a yoga workshop where the teacher checked her phone multiple times during class. I never went back to her!
  • recoveryoga
    recoveryoga Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i hate it if someone puts their mat uncomfortably close to mine, especially if there is plenty of space! and general coughing, moving around or snoring during savasana annoys me. because right as i'll be about to get into my zen moment theres someone who is snoring. really?
    this is why i end up practicing alone most of the time!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    The studio I've been going to has "community" mats. I bring my own. Often, the instructor will ask so and so if she can "use their mat". I dread the day she asks me. Maybe she will never, since I bring my own. (But she asked someone else who brings their own a few weeks ago so...idk).

ACK! Keep yo' feet offa my mat.
  • gojjgo
    Options
    I was in a class recently and the woman next to me was continuously crowding me with her props/towel. I understand that the class was pretty full, but every time we moved down to the mat I had to move her block or sweaty hand towel out of my way. There was definitely enough room to put these in between our mats, but she kept tossing them aside and right into my path. So frustrating.