body fat % test options

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
I want to get my body fat % tested and was just wondering what everyone's recommendations are for accuracy...
Obviously things like BODPOD and Dexa scans are going to be most accurate, but I'm not super keen on spending that kind of money at the moment. I know digital scales are rubbish... How accurate are callipers or measurement calculations? Are there any other options I'm not aware of?

Replies

• jaeone
    jaeone Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I use calipers and I believe they are pretty accurate when used correctly. I go with the 2 same measurements out of 3.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you can find stats that a scale doing BF% can be 5% accurate and consistent, and use a couple of measurement methods which can also be 5% accurate, and skin calipers, which in the hands of experienced person can be 5% accurate - you are getting there.
    A bunch of 5% accurate methods averaged together will help.

Measurements are nice because you can go back 2 weeks later and since you aren't going for the same spot, but rather maximum or minimum circumference, you can't hardly get that wrong. If the exact location of where max is changes it doesn't matter, you need max.

If you can find a good person for the skin calipers, and it should be the 7-site method for a decent chance of accuracy, they are good at hitting the same spot on the body each time, which is needed.
    A good one should be able to take their fingers off from pinching the skin, go right back up, pinch the same spot, and get another measurement within a mm.