Which greens to eat for hypothyroidism

Options
Almost all green, leafy vegetables seem to be goitrogen and/or fall other cruciferous group. ( Kale, collard greens, mustard greens, spinach, rocket, watercress ). Are there any non-goitrogen greens which can be taken when diagnosed with hypothyroidism ?

Also, some websites say goitrogen is not destroyed on cooking, some say otherwise. And still some say goitrogen is produced only when it is cut or hurt and hence has to be eaten raw. I also read,it is okay to have spinach and watercress as long as it is cooked.

Everything is confusing and contradictory. What is your say on this ? What greens do you eat ? Raw or cooked ? Feedback with facts/ experience is much appreciated

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My endo said I can eat whatever I want—except several hours before & 1 hour after I take Synthroid, when I can have only water. I wait 4 hours after taking Synthroid before taking any vitamin or mineral supplements. I don't avoid any veggies, or soy, or iodine, or walnuts.

Everybody's different, and it will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • ajlandon
    ajlandon Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My dietitian does not recommend I avoid anything in particular. She said the studies aren't clear enough to justify removing nutritious greens and such from my diet. My Dr's only advice was to take my thyroid med when I wake up in the AM, and then wait an hour before eating, and wait 4 hours before taking any multivitamins (especially anything with iron or calcium).

If you are concerned, you can set up an appointment with a dietitian or your Dr to go over your medical history and dietary needs. Your situation could be different than mine.
  • shall1112
    Options
    Same thing here. Kale, spinach and cauliflower are big parts of my diet. I do cook them though so not sure if that's making a difference. The only thing that I have noticed that is negatively effecting me is if I have a high carb day. So I'm trying to keep my carbs relatively low (not cut!) to figure out what is the right balance.
  • 321blueeyes
    321blueeyes Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    @ajlandon - how did you go about finding a registered dietitian that is experienced in thyroid disorders? I'm starting to look for one, can't seem to find anyone who lists this specialty?
    My dietitian does not recommend I avoid anything in particular. She said the studies aren't clear enough to justify removing nutritious greens and such from my diet. My Dr's only advice was to take my thyroid med when I wake up in the AM, and then wait an hour before eating, and wait 4 hours before taking any multivitamins (especially anything with iron or calcium).

If you are concerned, you can set up an appointment with a dietitian or your Dr to go over your medical history and dietary needs. Your situation could be different than mine.
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashi's for 6yrs and have been to a number of endos. None have ever told me to avoid cruciferous veggies. I specifically asked about that again last week when I saw my new doc cuz I loooove broccoli, but he says it's all fine for you.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    There are several books that recommend not eating "goiterous" vegetables like kale, broccoli and cauliflower because they can impact thyroid function. Cooking them supposedly lessen this effect.

I do fine with them incorporated into my diet. Same with soy, which many people recommend hypos avoid.