Mini-challenge #1

2»

Replies

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    So far so good on #3.

I put in and hour and 40 minutes today between swimming this morning and circuit class tonight!
  • runner115
    runner115 Posts: 321 Member
    Love the mini-challenge idea...I'll say it again - UAC is the best : )

I haven't been eating a lot of sugar lately and I wish I had time to workout for 40 min daily but honestly lately I do not and I've been struggling with this neck pain...but I have been reading three books on fitness/nutrition so I will post my book report when I get home this evening : )
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Feb 6th, Mini #1

Did Mini Challenge #1? Yes under
    Did Mini Challenge #2? Yes 60 min
  • luluinca
    Feb 7

Managed an hour circuit this morning but had to skip the swim.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Love the mini-challenge idea...I'll say it again - UAC is the best : )

I haven't been eating a lot of sugar lately and I wish I had time to workout for 40 min daily but honestly lately I do not and I've been struggling with this neck pain...but I have been reading three books on fitness/nutrition so I will post my book report when I get home this evening : )

Aww!!! :blushing: Sorry you are in pain!! Take care and hope ou feel better soon!! :brokenheart:
  • Jagreene62
    Feb 7th

AGAIN... No sugar issues!! WHOOP WHOOP!! :love:

Worked out 2 hours.....no problem there!! Zumba and Treadmill

LOVE the mini challenges Caradae!! THANKS!! :flowerforyou:
  • Scherzie
    Scherzie Posts: 1,190 Member
    Feb 7

Met sugar goal today 37/60

Since I am paying attention to more than just calories this week I am noticing that I am also low on my protein:huh:
  • BLillard68
    BLillard68 Posts: 309 Member
    February 7th

Pick a challenge:

1. Stay within MFP's daily sugar recommendations every day during this mini-challenge.
    I think the only way I will be able to do this challenge is if I cut out my sugar in my coffee and tea....NOT happening right now!
    2. Read a book on nutrition, diet, weight loss, or health and post a report of it.
    I didn't get to read today but I did get to be a guest speaker for the new Down to Size Challenge participants at work today!
    3. Make your minimum exercise goal 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes.
    I wasn't able to get in 40 minutes today...only got in 20 minutes...but that is better than nothing!!!
  • Bebubble
    Feb 7th, Mini #1

Did Mini Challenge #2? Yes 133 min
    Did Mini Challenge #3? Is coming along
  • runner115
    I read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman.

I found out about it on a great blog that I came across while looking for recipes on-line...(caradae, thought this might be a good topic for a future mini-challenge - find and review a fitness/nutrition blog??) I even found an Eat to Live group on mfp...joined it but haven't been too active - I find that calculating all my calories and doing UAC is plenty mfp time for me :smile:

anyway ... in many ways I found this to be the same message that we hear many places these days, just presented a little differently...the take home message that I got from it is that our diet should be primarily unrefined plant food (ie fruits and vegetables).

there is a recommended 6-week plan for rapid weight loss. The following can be eaten in unlimited quantities: raw vegetables, cooked green vegetables (and a few other veggies), beans/legumes/ tofu, fresh fruit. In addition, you are allowed one serving of a starchy vegetable or whole grain daily, plus a small amount of nuts/seeds, avocado and flaxseed daily. dairy, animal products, fruit juice and dried juice are all off limits.

Beyond the 6-week plan the recommendation is to aim for 90% of daily food consumption to be from unrefined plant food. There are some suggested menus and recipes and there is a follow-up book by the same author called Eat for Health which includes more recipes.

I've been following it loosely (emphasis on 'loosely'!) for a couple weeks now and it is definitely helping me meet my calorie requirement...it wasn't too hard for me to adjust because I'm eat vegan a lot of the time anyway...I'm pretty motivated to continue, too because my clothes are starting to fit better : )
  • luluinca
    Feb. 8 mini challenge #3

40 minute swim and 15 minute calisthenics warm-up
  • Jagreene62
    I read "Eat to Live" by Joel Fuhrman.

I found out about it on a great blog that I came across while looking for recipes on-line...(caradae, thought this might be a good topic for a future mini-challenge - find and review a fitness/nutrition blog??) I even found an Eat to Live group on mfp...joined it but haven't been too active - I find that calculating all my calories and doing UAC is plenty mfp time for me :smile:

anyway ... in many ways I found this to be the same message that we hear many places these days, just presented a little differently...the take home message that I got from it is that our diet should be primarily unrefined plant food (ie fruits and vegetables).

there is a recommended 6-week plan for rapid weight loss. The following can be eaten in unlimited quantities: raw vegetables, cooked green vegetables (and a few other veggies), beans/legumes/ tofu, fresh fruit. In addition, you are allowed one serving of a starchy vegetable or whole grain daily, plus a small amount of nuts/seeds, avocado and flaxseed daily. dairy, animal products, fruit juice and dried juice are all off limits.

Beyond the 6-week plan the recommendation is to aim for 90% of daily food consumption to be from unrefined plant food. There are some suggested menus and recipes and there is a follow-up book by the same author called Eat for Health which includes more recipes.

I've been following it loosely (emphasis on 'loosely'!) for a couple weeks now and it is definitely helping me meet my calorie requirement...it wasn't too hard for me to adjust because I'm eat vegan a lot of the time anyway...I'm pretty motivated to continue, too because my clothes are starting to fit better : )

This sounds a lot like the Paleo (sp?) Diet...is it? I have a friend that tried that is was successful.
  • runner115
    I don't know - I haven't done Paleo!
  • Jagreene62
    Feb 8th

Went OVER on sugar today...Why?? I had a glass of chocolate milk...WOW!! It's amazing how something so little can affect you so much!! UGH!! :noway:

Worked out 1 hour....no problem there!! Treadmill

Glad to see soooo many are doing so well with the mini challenge!! YOU DESERVE SO MUCH MORE!! :drinker:
  • Scherzie
    Feb 8

Met sugar goal today 45/65!!
  • BLillard68
    BLillard68 Posts: 309 Member
    February 8th

Pick a challenge:

1. Stay within MFP's daily sugar recommendations every day during this mini-challenge...Nope.
    2. Read a book on nutrition, diet, weight loss, or health and post a report of it....I read an eBook on how to lose 10 lbs. in 7 days. It says to eat mostly fruits and veggies and to exercise....well duh!!!! The key is that they want you to burn 3500 calories a DAY. If you eat 1000 calories a day, then they want you to burn 4500 a day. If you do this, you will lose 10 lbs. in 7 days. I would be working out ALL DAY to burn that many calories in a day...forget work...don't have time for that....I gotta lose 10 lbs. fast!!! I don't recommend this...it is not good to lose that much weight that fast anyway!!!
    3. Make your minimum exercise goal 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes.....Nope...barely got in my 20 minutes.
  • Bebubble
    Feb 7th, Mini #1

Did Mini Challenge #2? Yes 133 min

Feb 8th, Mini #1

Did Mini Challenge #2? Yes 70 min
  • luluinca
    Feb 9

Mini Challenge # 3

40 minute swim and 40 minute circuit.
  • Scherzie
    Feb 9th

sugar 37/75, I guess I don't have quite the sweet-tooth that I used to:laugh:
  • Jagreene62
    Feb 9th

Went OVER on sugar today...Why?? I had a Krispy Kreme doughnut....Yes, it was delicious!!

Worked out 6 hours shopping with my daughter...FUN!!

One more day!! :love:
  • Bebubble
    FEB 9th

Did I do the mini challenge, stay with in MFP's daily sugar recommendations? yep under
    Did I do the mini challenge, minimum exercise goal 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes? yep
  • luluinca
    Feb 10 - Challenge #3

Every day so far and I think we're done with this one right?

40 minute circuit with a 15 minute treadmill warm-up first.
  • Jagreene62
    :bigsmile: LAST DAY!!!

Feb 10th

Under on sugar today!!! :heart:

Worked out 1 hour Zumba Class at the YMCA today!!! :heart:

:flowerforyou: WE DID IT!!
  • Scherzie
    Feb 10th

Under on sugar 39/75:happy:

Made it through this mini challenge!
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    From Feb 4 to Feb 10 worked out 40 minutes or more every day
  • Bebubble
    FEB 10th

Did I do the mini challenge, stay with in MFP's daily sugar recommendations? yep under
    Did I do the mini challenge, minimum exercise goal 40 minutes instead of 20 minutes? yep 60
  • runner115
    did 40 minutes today : )
  • Did the 40+min of exercise everyday for the duration of the challenge:smile: