Hello

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
Hi,

I'm training for my first half marathon, the Indianapolis 500 festival mini marathon on May 3. I'm using Hal Higdon's Novice 1 plan, I'm in week 2.

I'm 46 and started running in August, a week before my 46th birthday. I started with C25k, I ran my first 5k in October. I moved onto the One Hour Runner program, which is a 10k training program. I ran my first 10k on New Years Day. I started the half marathon training, but had to take most of January off due to the arctic freeze and my asthma and I had costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilage that attaches your ribs to your sternum on the front and back. I'm a pediatric nurse, my doctor thinks I was exposed to a virus that caused the rib problems. It was painful, I couldn't take a deep breath.

I restarted my training about 10 days ago, so far so good. I'm back to the pace I was at before I had to take a break.

I'm feeling the challenges of training for a spring half marathon. Today I have the choice of a 2 mile run or cross training, I choose cross training, I'm going to go shovel the 10 inches of snow and ice we received last night. With every run it ell myself, that's one less winter run I have to endure....

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hello! I too am running a half on May 3 but not sure where exactly it is. My husband is taking me away for my 40th bday and of course there is a half wherever we are going on my birthday. Naturally we are doing it lol
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Hope the rest of your training goes well. The Mini is a great race. I've done it 5 times or so. Have fun!!!!