Testing 1RMs for squat & bench Friday-what to do today?

Options
NovemberJune
NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
I don't think this is *too* important but just in case... and because I've never tested 1RMs before... and I'm somewhat clueless... I want to ask. ;) Thanks for any opinions. I'm thinking I'll do full body but go light-ish....

I'm going to be participating in a strength training study through my university's exercise science department. I am so excited about this because it comes with 10 weeks of free personal training! I have been wanting to get training for a long time because I tend to get bad hip pains that put a complete stop to squats and deadlifts and I've never been able to get very far with them. I think I need form help. I definitely need help. Even with bench and OHP it takes me a very very long time to move up in weight.

I'm also very nervous because since I'm just a lowly participant... my goals don't matter. Their goals for the study matter.

The good news is that I'll be doing a 1RM test for squat and bench press this Friday as day 2 of pre-testing so that gives me some hope that we'll be working on stuff I'm interested in. Strength is an outcome for the study yay!

Day 1 of pre-testing is tomorrow and that involves a DXA scan and push ups (as many as possible).

Do you think it would be ok to lift today? Maybe OHPs and RDLs? Or should I do purely cardio since I have push ups Thursday and then bench and squat the very next day?

Honestly I've just been doing whatever seems fun in the gym for the past few weeks, knowing that I'd be starting this study.

Here's this week

Monday - barbell OHP, lunges, RDLS, light bench (45#s)
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - ????????????? I could just do cardio but I kind of hate cardio and I'll probably be doing that tomorrow
Thursday - push ups (probably will do cardio)
Friday - 1RM bench, 1RM squat, Wingate test (cycle fast as possible low resistance to sudden load)

If you all are interested, I'd be happy to let you know more about the study and how it goes. I'm terrified that I'm committing myself to 10 weeks of this

power-plate-my7vibration-trainer-m.png

or this

shake-weight.png

lololololol

I just realized I'm leaving for the gym in less than 2 hours so I'm probably too late posting this ;)

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Too late at this point but given the scenario I would have probably done something more recreational in the gym like work on technique improvements rather than intense training, given what you have coming up in the next two days.
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Too late at this point but given the scenario I would have probably done something more recreational in the gym like work on technique improvements rather than intense training, given what you have coming up in the next two days.

Thanks for the reply. :) I ended up just doing 3 sets of 10 for OHP and lunges, light enough that I didn't feel like it would take much "recovery". And 15 minutes of ClimbMill :devil:

Thanks!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ...and some shakeweight?
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    ...and some shakeweight?

lol waiting to see if they ask me to squat on a vibrating plate today.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    ...and some shakeweight?

lol waiting to see if they ask me to squat on a vibrating plate today.

Could we get a vid of that? Ok thanks.